Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, I assumed that people in Virginia (besides NOVA), the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida might get a bit upset at the usage of "East Coast" to mean "everything from DC on up).
not upset, it just makes me think the person who says it is provincial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Please, once again, would the people defending "east coast" who don't have their location listed please mention where they are from? These would all be helpful data points, except you're not saying anything about what part of the country you came up with your "common knowledge" from.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
In the midwest it is common for "east coast" to be used to describe the northeast. When they say it they mean NY or Boston not North Carolina. Here in the south the northeast is less commonly called "the east coast" but called just "up north" When this term is used its generally known that your not talking about Wisconsin or Indiana, but somewhere in the busy northeast. People here just seem to forget that there are northern states west of Pennsylvainia. Both generalizations from both midwest and southern states stem from the powerfull stereotypes the northeast invokes, Big cities, tough rude people, Jersey shore and intelecuall snobs of the New England states . Im not saying these stereotypes are right or wrong, just that thier existence has something to do with what we are talking about in this thread.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
We don't even use the term "east coast" that much where I live, although this is probably an extremely regional thing in my community or something.

Northeast/Northeast Corridor/BosWash megalopolis: NoVA on up to Maine.
Mid Atlantic: NoVA to NYC, upstate NY is not included.
Southeast/Southern coastal: Virginia (excluding NoVA) down to Florida.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

778 posts, read 997,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
We don't even use the term "east coast" that much where I live, although this is probably an extremely regional thing in my community or something.

Northeast/Northeast Corridor/BosWash megalopolis: NoVA on up to Maine.
Mid Atlantic: NoVA to NYC, upstate NY is not included.
Southeast/Southern coastal: Virginia (excluding NoVA) down to Florida.

Upstate NY isnt included?

Albany is about two hours away from the coast. Philly is an hour. Washington, DC is an hour. Seattle is an hour. Is an hour really the difference between being "West/East coast" and not?

Some of the things you read on the internet are mind-boggling.

I have a hard time believing that locations 2-3 hours within the coast on either side arent included. Thats just ****ing silly.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM

How black and white can people be?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Please, once again, would the people defending "east coast" who don't have their location listed please mention where they are from? These would all be helpful data points, except you're not saying anything about what part of the country you came up with your "common knowledge" from.

Upstate NY between Syracuse and Albany.

Takes anywhere from 3-4 hours to get to the coast, which isnt much in the grand scheme of things. 3-4 hours doesnt get you through most states.

I consider where im from East Coast, and pretty much everyone else around me as well.

Seattle, Philly and DC are not on the coast, but theyre still West Coast/East Coast, are they not?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
In the Hip Hop music community, the term "East Coast" is only used to describe the Northeast.
^^^This, the slang terms of East Coast and West Coast, started with Hip-Hop rivalries....Biggie, Jay-Z, Ja Rule, etc were all from NY and branded "East Coast" Rappers. Tupac, Dr Dre, Snoop were from Cali and branded "West Coast"...

The terms made their way in to Pop-Culture with people from Urban Areas, who identify the most with rappers, started referring to where they were from based on the association to Rap Territory slang and from Pop-Culture it spawned its way into the Mainstream....

"I'm from the East Coast" = Northeast. "I'm from the West Coast" = meaning Cali sorry OR and WA are not considered "West Coast" by the standard. AZ (specifically LV) will identify with the term. "East Coast" term used from as far west as Pittsburgh and as far south as DC Metro area, I'm not sure if the Richmond area has started to identify themselves more with being "East Coast", or if they more so consider themselves apart of the "South" still.

NC, SC, GA and FL are not considered "East Coast" even though they are located on the East Coast. inland cities such as Pittsburgh and Harrisburg consider themselves to be "East Coast". Buffalo and Syracuse while first would identify with being "Upstate NY" then "East Coast".

Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Quote:
D.C. born and raised.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
^^^This, the slang terms of East Coast and West Coast, started with Hip-Hop rivalries....Biggie, Jay-Z, Ja Rule, etc were all from NY and branded "East Coast" Rappers. Tupac, Dr Dre, Snoop were from Cali and branded "West Coast"...

The terms made their way in to Pop-Culture with people from Urban Areas, who identify the most with rappers, started referring to where they were from based on the association to Rap Territory slang and from Pop-Culture it spawned its way into the Mainstream....

"I'm from the East Coast" = Northeast. "I'm from the West Coast" = meaning Cali sorry OR and WA are not considered "West Coast" by the standard. AZ (specifically LV) will identify with the term. "East Coast" term used from as far west as Pittsburgh and as far south as DC Metro area, I'm not sure if the Richmond area has started to identify themselves more with being "East Coast", or if they more so consider themselves apart of the "South" still.

NC, SC, GA and FL are not considered "East Coast" even though they are located on the East Coast. inland cities such as Pittsburgh and Harrisburg consider themselves to be "East Coast". Buffalo and Syracuse while first would identify with being "Upstate NY" then "East Coast".
Richmond and Hampton roads bear with the south a lot more than east coast but I've heard some rappers from Hampton roads (Clipse) claim east coast and down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.