Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times

Advertisements

East coast usually refers to all of the eastern states bordering the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, I assumed that people in Virginia (besides NOVA), the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida might get a bit upset at the usage of "East Coast" to mean "everything from DC on up).
Was that your intention for this thread?
Honey Badger Don't Care

Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Was that your intention for this thread?
Honey Badger Don't Care
My intention was to find out what part of the country people use the term east coast instead of northeast. As it says in the title.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My intention was to find out what part of the country people use the term east coast instead of northeast. As it says in the title.

Well then definetly I would say the Pacific Northwest does.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
But it's incorrect to say that they refer to it as the east coast instead of the northeast. The northeastern coast of America is just part of the east coast. It doesn't constitute the whole thing, which is more what the original question sounded like, to me.

But as a discreet area, I'd say that most people (at least here in the PNW) refer to it as New England, not "the northeast."

Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Well maybe not instead. I do hear New England but I don't ever think I have ever heard the term "northeast" here in reference to that part of the country.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
People do commonly refer to the Northeast as the East Coast. However, when I say I am from Atlanta, most people still say I'm from the East Coast here in Seattle. The more West you go, the more people start uniformly thinking of a comprehensive East Coast and not just North East. North East actually would be more common ON the East Coast, since the distinction is made. It's very simialr to saying Norcal, Socal, and PNW on the West coast. When I was in Atlanta, I commonly referred to anything out West as the West Coast. But locally more distinctions are made.

However you will never hear anyone say North East on the East Coast. They make the distinction between North and South. I think the East coast as a whole really ignores the West Coast when they make name for geography though.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
But it's incorrect to say that they refer to it as the east coast instead of the northeast. The northeastern coast of America is just part of the east coast. It doesn't constitute the whole thing, which is more what the original question sounded like, to me.

But as a discreet area, I'd say that most people (at least here in the PNW) refer to it as New England, not "the northeast."
New England and the Northeast are not synonymous!

New England = Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, & Connecticut

Mid Atlantic = New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, & Maryland

New England + Mid Atlantic = Northeast.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
A lot of people around here say "east coast" to refer to anything from New Jersey to the north.

There are many who really don't know what New England is, other than the fact that it's... somewhere east of here. If you ask the average person in Michigan to name the New England states, they will most certainly struggle. But that probably goes for everywhere, because a lot of people are terrible at geography in general.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
A lot of people around here say "east coast" to refer to anything from New Jersey to the north.

There are many who really don't know what New England is, other than the fact that it's... somewhere east of here. If you ask the average person in Michigan to name the New England states, they will most certainly struggle. But that probably goes for everywhere, because a lot of people are terrible at geography in general.
I remember in high school one of my friends was dumbfounded when I told him San Francisco was north of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.