Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
^^^This, the slang terms of East Coast and West Coast, started with Hip-Hop rivalries....

The terms made their way in to Pop-Culture with people from Urban Areas, who identify the most with rappers, started referring to where they were from based on the association to Rap Territory slang and from Pop-Culture it spawned its way into the Mainstream....
Jeeesus how ignorant can you be ??

The phrases "East Coast" and "West Coast" were in use long before rappers started using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

The phrases "East Coast" and "West Coast" were in use long before rappers started using them.
She probably meant that the two terms got hyped after the whole Biggie vs Tupac era.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

Seems like you're the one who's Ignorant. ...Notice the Quotations and my statement of how they're used progressed from 90's Rap era to today in the Mainstream Language.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM

628 posts, read 663,288 times
I have never in my entire life heard anyone refer to Syracuse as anything but east coast.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
I have never in my entire life heard anyone refer to Syracuse as anything but east coast.

Born and raised an hour east.

Always been East Coast, and never ever thought East Coast was literal sense. When you think about it, its pretty ****ing stupid.

Philly, DC and Baltimore arent technically on the Atlantic Coast, and Seattle isnt on the Pacific Coast, so I guess that means they arent "Coast" either, according to some logic.

I can just imagine two people arguing about it from Boston and Philly.

Boston: "Im from the East Coast, son!"

Philly: "Uhhh.."

Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Upstate NY isnt included?

Albany is about two hours away from the coast. Philly is an hour. Washington, DC is an hour. Seattle is an hour. Is an hour really the difference between being "West/East coast" and not?

Some of the things you read on the internet are mind-boggling.

I have a hard time believing that locations 2-3 hours within the coast on either side arent included. Thats just ****ing silly.
NYC is further south geographically than Upstate NY. It doesn't have to do with how far inland they are, but rather how far north they are. Upstate NY is still coastal, just not Mid-Atlantic. Should've clarified, apologies.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Around these here parts, the locals refer to anything east of the Mississippi River as "back east" or "the east coast". (It always makes me chuckle) For the record, I currently live in Montana.

Now I didn't grow up here so the East Coast to me is NE as well as mid atlantic states. Anything south of the mason-dixon is of course just "the south" regardless of coastline. I grew up in Ohio.

To me, these are the rough geographical areas of the US.

East Coast= New England and Mid-Atlantic States
South= VA south to FL West to Louisiana and up to Arkansas. I'd throw Kentucky and West Virginia in there too.
Great Lakes Region/Midwest= Parts of PA, OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN and parts of NY
Plains States= ND south to parts of Texas.
Southwest= Parts of Texas, NM, AZ, parts of UT
Rocky Mountains=MT, ID, CO, WY, parts of UT
Pacific Northwest= WA & OR
West Coast= Just CA to me

HI and Alaska are outliers who have their own distinct region and personality.

Last edited by Vegabern; 01-30-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Around these here parts, the locals refer to anything east of the Mississippi River as "back east" or "the east coast". (It always makes me chuckle) For the record, I currently live in Montana.

Now I didn't grow up here so the East Coast to me is NE as well as mid atlantic states. Anything south of the mason-dixon is of course just "the south" regardless of coastline. I grew up in Ohio.

To me, these are the rough geographical areas of the US.

East Coast= New England and Mid-Atlantic States
South= VA south to FL West to Louisiana and up to Arkansas. I'd throw Kentucky and West Virginia in there too.
Not trying to point out your faults here, but Maryland and arguably Delaware (depending on the definition) are south of the Mason-Dixon, so why don't you include them in your definition of Southern?

Not that I consider MD and DE as Southern, I'm simply wondering.

I do like the rest of your regional boundaries.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Not trying to point out your faults here, but Maryland and arguably Delaware (depending on the definition) are south of the Mason-Dixon, so why don't you include them in your definition of Southern?

Not that I consider MD and DE as Southern, I'm simply wondering.

I do like the rest of your regional boundaries.
I can't explain it. I think it's just the "feel" or culture of those states. I associate them more with the mid-atlantic than I do with "the south". It's a stereotype as I have only been to MD and DE once and it was long ago.

Same reason I throw WV in with the south even though I know it was a union state. It just has more of a southern feel.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
I live in Philadelphia. Despite the fact that there are southern states that have an Atlantic coast, I have always considered the term "East Coast' to apply to the region from New England to Maryland. To me, Virginia and south comprises the southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.