Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
If that were true, you're going off the insinuation that people believe the Southern accent sounds uneducated and dumb. Regardless of race, then, anyone who has a Southern accent sounds uneducated and dumb... including millions of Southern whites living in and out of the South. If people believe all blacks have a Southern accent, likely due to history which has placed most blacks in the South until the last century when migration to Northern cities began on a large scale, which we are only one to two generations from, then this still reflects on the accent not the people themselves... so how exactly is this about race?
I understand what he's saying...especially when one poster watches a video and says "Oooooohweeee" when no one in the video said anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
You should honestly get out more. Saying something so silly like this, is like someone saying all White people sound the same, which is FAR FROM from the truth. If you can't hear the difference between a black lady from the northeast and a black lady from Mississippi you honestly should get checked out. When exactly would a lady (Black, White, Latina, etc) from New York need to go to a Piggly Wiggly or Wal-Mart? (We don't even have a Walmart here lol!) That example is just one but no one in NY would need to reference that store. So how example would someone from Harlem and New Orleans sound "similar" - they wouldn't.

This was one of the best responses from the thread. If people can't hear the difference then generalizations are actually more screwed than I originally thought . . .
Did you read what I said at all? It sure doesn't look like it. I'm pretty well traveled and I can tell the difference between a black person from the northeast and a black person from the deep south. Thanks for not reading what I said though!

Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
Oh ok. So because they're both speaking AAVE, they have the same accent now.

And with that, I'm out. I won't contribute to the lengthening of this thread any longer. lol

You're out are you?

Quote:
You know...come to think of it, I can't really hear the differences between New Zealand accent, British accent, and some other places/regions that I can't really recall. They all sound British to me. Same thing with the southern accent vs. midwest etc. as a matter of fact. I heard a guy from Kansas and thought he was southern. My ears are not trained in that way, and that's ok. I acknowledge that and move on. I don't harp and try to tell these people that they all sound British or Southern when they in fact do not.
Oh, I guess you just couldn't resist.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nicki Minaj back when she was an unknown girl from Southeastern Queens. Does she sound southern? Like a New Yorker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56UQK7QpBw
Well it's tough to discern since she isn't talking...she's rapping. She does sound distinctly black though, no denying that, I could have been blind and called it.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You seem paranoid. Can you provide examples in this thread of people accusing blacks of sounding uneducated?

Here's some life advice: get rid of the anger and victim complex. You'll fare much better that way.
How about you just shut up and keep your pre-conceived complex to yourself. Far too many of you dog people don't know wtf you talk about. ya just be going on and on trying to figure it out, meanwhile still ignorant.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well it's tough to discern since she isn't talking...she's rapping. She does sound distinctly black though, no denying that, I could have been blind and called it.
She doesn't rap the entire video. There is a segment where she's talking.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
I watched the Video and i Do have to say. The way these guys are talking is more of a form of Ebonics. Rather than a Southern Dialect. Because of Hiphop many blacks that live in Urban Areas talk in ebonics. Rather than "Standard American English" I used quotations because there is no such thing as SAE. Every Region has its own Dialect. Ebonics Could be easily mis-identified as a southern accent because Southern Rappers From Georgia, Texas, Louisiana,Mississippi were prominent in hip-hop in the early 2000's So what you are hearing is Ebonics that is heavily influenced by southern rappers. They still don't have Southern Accents tho. They dont have that slow-paced Southern Dawl, That Country Twang, or that Appalachian fast talk that is associated with the many southern Accents.
"Ebonics" didn't happen because of hip-hop. It existed well before then.

Also, what of New York rappers? They speak the African American dialect but with New York accents. All I hear in that video is drawn out vowel sounds and glide deletion.

"Ah don't do none of that Baldamerr club music, that ****'s for clayowns yeoh"

It has nothing to do with the fact that the woman in the video said "y'all", because Blacks from Seattle down to Miami will use that word. The difference is that she pronounces words like a Southerner. Like it was said earlier, even NYC Blacks say "y'all" but they don't pronounce it like Southerners and say it more like "yah". It is interesting you mention Appalachia though because Baltimore's speech is influenced by Appalachian due to many Appalachians moving to Baltimore in the last century. Believe it not, some Appalachian dialects are in the same Midland grouping as Baltimore.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM

115 posts, read 165,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You're out are you?

Oh, I guess you just couldn't resist.
Yes, I totally lied! It's like watching a train wreck! lol

Old 04-08-2015, 12:32 PM

728 posts, read 975,103 times
Quote:
Yes, I totally lied! It's like watching a train wreck! lol
I mean overall, us New Englanders got our points across. All Black people sound southern lol

Old 04-08-2015, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that elements of AAVE have been adopted by non-Black speakers. It's not like cultural influence goes in direction: from White people to everyone else. If you're around lots of other different types of people, you're going to be influenced by them to some extent whether you like it or not.

A good example of this is Doo Wop in northern cities. Italians were prominent in the genre, but it was African Americans who started it. This has been happening for a long time. It didn't start in the 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSAoUgaKQkI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.