Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 08:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
How about you just shut up and keep your pre-conceived complex to yourself. Far too many of you dog people don't know wtf you talk about. ya just be going on and on trying to figure it out, meanwhile still ignorant.
So you're so superior to everyone else, how? Do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that elements of AAVE have been adopted by non-Black speakers. It's not like cultural influence goes in direction: from White people to everyone else. If you're around lots of other different types of people, you're going to be influenced by them to some extent whether you like it or not.

A good example of this is Doo Wop in northern cities. Italians were prominent in the genre, but it was African Americans who started it. This has been happening for a long time. It didn't start in the 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSAoUgaKQkI
Another great example is blues and subsequently rock n' roll.

Whites aren't the only influencers of the world. In fact, speaking of accents it is believed that the same way the English influenced the Black speech in the South, so did the Blacks influence the English in what became the Southern accent.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well it's tough to discern since she isn't talking...she's rapping. She does sound distinctly black though, no denying that, I could have been blind and called it.
She has zero percent chance of sounding Southern considering her ancestry is Trinidadian.

Blacks in NYC can be of Southern descent but many are of West Indian descent, so for them to sound Southern in NYC is a strange notion.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Blacks sound black, for the most part, but we don't always have a southern accent. It depends on your immediate background. Accents are thick and there is no way that all blacks in the usa sound exactly the same. Most people can tell a difference when they hear it. Some people, who are not black in the first place, just don't know what they are talking about.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Another great example is blues and subsequently rock n' roll.

Whites aren't the only influencers of the world. In fact, speaking of accents it is believed that the same way the English influenced the Black speech in the South, so did the Blacks influence the English in what became the Southern accent.
Yes. The Southern accent is derived from AAVE, not the other way around.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:03 AM

728 posts, read 975,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Blacks sound black, for the most part, but we don't always have a southern accent. It depends on your immediate background. Accents are thick and there is no way that all blacks in the usa sound exactly the same. Most people can tell a difference when they hear it. Some people, who are not black in the first place, just don't know what they are talking about.
I can kind of see what you mean. Black people usually have a deeper voice along with a more aggressive speech pattern.

Spanish, French, Deutsche or English.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM

Here is a Northeast Philly black man, Peedi Peedi. I think he's also Puerto Rican. Now, his speech definitely has Southernisms in it, especially glide deletion on sounds that Whites in Philly do not exhibit.

http://youtu.be/Qy1fro5Y2X0

Old 04-24-2015, 04:34 PM

386 posts, read 987,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Here is a Northeast Philly black man, Peedi Peedi. I think he's also Puerto Rican. Now, his speech definitely has Southernisms in it, especially glide deletion on sounds that Whites in Philly do not exhibit.

http://youtu.be/Qy1fro5Y2X0

I see what you mean about the glide deletions; however, he sounds northeastern/midatlantic to me for an AA. I think the average AA on the east-coast would hear him speak and know he was most likely from Philly or Jersey area. His speech is rhotic and the way he pronounces certain words is distinct. For example, "anywhere" becomes "inywheyerrr" and "real" sounds more like "rell" for some Philly AA's. Some people from the deep south might even believe he was from NYC area based on his speech.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Nah he sound like everybody that I've talked to from Philly. I don't hear much Southern in there. Maybe that's me.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM

Here is an interview with Freeway, a very rhotic Philly man. But I didn't post the video to showcase his Southernisms and glide deletion, but to actually showcase the woman interviewing him. Her speech is very Northern, and dare I say even shows slight Northern Cities Shift in her vowels. She even says the word "on" Northern, rhyming it with don instead of dawn.

http://youtu.be/aYdKNwFuFvI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.