Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
yup not everyone wants to live in some dirty stressful city, horrible taste? no i just don't like cities that smell like urine.
Don't look now, but your ignorance is showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
This doesn't mean it's the worst place to live. In NYC and LA, the high cost of living and crowds do push some people away, but these are two of the most desired cities in the country to live in. Miami's crime and rising cost of living with poor wages and few jobs is also pushing people away, and Chicago's weather and crime pushes people away. I doubt people would find Phoenix or Houston a better city than somewhere like Miami or Chicago.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Don't look now, but your ignorance is showing.
oh right its only okay to rip on the sunbelt, sorry my bad.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
oh right its only okay to rip on the sunbelt, sorry my bad.
Are you saying what you wrote wasn't really ignorant?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
In analyzing data from the US Census I have found that these 3 cities people are getting the hell out of dodge fast! Alot of people moving for greener pastures.

Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Totals: Vintage 2012 - U.S Census Bureau

Here are the top 10 City Metros that lost the most citizens due to "domestic migration" in the last year...

1. New York-Jersey City-White Plains, NY-NJ -95,944
2. Chicago-Naperville-Arlington Heights, IL -40,907
3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA -40,361
4. Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia, MI -18,284
5. Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, FL -17,037
6. Newark, NJ-PA -16,753
7. Nassau County-Suffolk County, NY -12,516
8. St. Louis, MO-IL -10,991
9. Cleveland-Elyria, OH -10,579
10. Philadelphia, PA -8,042

By comparision, here are the best places to live in the U.S., the City Metros that gained the most population through "domestic migration" in the last year...

1. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX +40,345
2. Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX +38,651
3. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ +37,025
4. Austin-Round Rock, TX +30,324
5. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA +24,207
6. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL +22,728
7. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO +22,428
8. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX +20,912
9. Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC +20,481
10. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN +14,935
I can't speak for most cities on this list but I can defiantly make a comparison of New York city to Houston. NYC is a dump compared to Houston. I could not believe how clean Houston is compared to most cities I have been too and how dirty NYC is. Not only is NY dirtier then Houston its also has a bad smell. Houston is cleaner, greener and has a better infastructure then New York. It's like living in beverly hills sometimes.

New York has alot of bad drivers but Houston has even worse drivers. Also the summertime is brutal in Houston. Also New York absolutely destroys Houston's nightlife but Houston you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get inside of clubs.

Speaking of money it cost like 7$ to get a slice of pizza in New York. Houston is much cheaper then New York in every aspect especially housing which is probably the biggest reason why people are fleeing those cities.

Overall, although New york city has Houston beat in a few catogories and Houston is faaar from perfect I would say its way better then New York. Houston is cleaner, the people are much friendlier overall, food is cheaper, housing is cheaper, and there's still a bunch of things to do.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
For NYC, LA, and Miami, the cost of living is what pushes people away. Many Asian investors are purchasing properties in these two cities like crazy.

The other cities... I'd imagine crime, poor economies, and the freeezing cold winters to be the cause for migration.
high col as well.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
NYC is a dump compared to Houston.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
I can't speak for most cities on this list but I can defiantly make a comparison of New York city to Houston. NYC is a dump compared to Houston. I could not believe how clean Houston is compared to most cities I have been too and how dirty NYC is. Not only is NY dirtier then Houston its also has a bad smell. Houston is cleaner, greener and has a better infastructure then New York. It's like living in beverly hills sometimes.

New York has alot of bad drivers but Houston has even worse drivers. Also the summertime is brutal in Houston. Also New York absolutely destroys Houston's nightlife but Houston you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get inside of clubs.

Speaking of money it cost like 7$ to get a slice of pizza in New York. Houston is much cheaper then New York in every aspect especially housing which is probably the biggest reason why people are fleeing those cities.

Overall, although New york city has Houston beat in a few catogories and Houston is faaar from perfect I would say its way better then New York. Houston is cleaner, the people are much friendlier overall, food is cheaper, housing is cheaper, and there's still a bunch of things to do.

Honey,

Houston is one of the world ugliest cities.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
LOL!

Yes, Houston reminds me exactly of Beverly Hills. The flat landscape, giant petrochemical plants everywhere, and swampy land is like a Texas reproduction of Beverly Hills...

NYC, BTW, destroys Houston so much, it isn't even worth discussing. They are literally so far apart that the metrics aren't even worthy of any sort of comparison.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:

I have to agree with the other posters, Houston is ugly compared to NYC. Saying Houston is like Beverly Hills compared to NYC or the NYC area in general is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.