Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM

47 posts, read 64,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post

1. New York-Jersey City-White Plains, NY-NJ -95,944
2. Chicago-Naperville-Arlington Heights, IL -40,907

8. St. Louis, MO-IL -10,991
9. Cleveland-Elyria, OH -10,579
10. Philadelphia, PA -8,042

I would live in any of those 5 before I would ever consider the sprawling ugly characterless sunbelt cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 AM

47 posts, read 64,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I have to agree with the other posters, Houston is ugly compared to NYC. Saying Houston is like Beverly Hills compared to NYC or the NYC area in general is hilarious.

Who really wants to be like Beverly Hills anyway? Give me Manhattan over BH or Houston any day.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I can't speak for most cities on this list but I can defiantly make a comparison of New York city to Houston. NYC is a dump compared to Houston. I could not believe how clean Houston is compared to most cities I have been too and how dirty NYC is. Not only is NY dirtier then Houston its also has a bad smell. Houston is cleaner, greener and has a better infastructure then New York. It's like living in beverly hills sometimes.

New York has alot of bad drivers but Houston has even worse drivers. Also the summertime is brutal in Houston. Also New York absolutely destroys Houston's nightlife but Houston you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get inside of clubs.

Speaking of money it cost like 7$ to get a slice of pizza in New York. Houston is much cheaper then New York in every aspect especially housing which is probably the biggest reason why people are fleeing those cities.

Overall, although New york city has Houston beat in a few catogories and Houston is faaar from perfect I would say its way better then New York. Houston is cleaner, the people are much friendlier overall, food is cheaper, housing is cheaper, and there's still a bunch of things to do.
Actually we only charge that much to out-of-towners from Houston. Everybody elses pays a buck or two.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I have to agree with the other posters, Houston is ugly compared to NYC. Saying Houston is like Beverly Hills compared to NYC or the NYC area in general is hilarious.
We all know that NYC has its ugly areas, but Houston doesn't have anything comparable to the charm, the sense of place, the vibe - as well as the beauty - of Brooklyn Heights, Midtown East, Park Slope, DUMBO, TriBeCa, SoHo, Upper West Side, Forest Hills, Riverdale, etc etc...

Let's face it, there is more beauty in the (little) Brooklyn Heights than in the whole metropolitan area of Houston

Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM

651 posts, read 862,940 times
Perhaps the list is there because those cities all have high taxes and are not business friendly while the others that are growing are.

People go where the jobs/money is for them.

I came to CO for business, my brother did as well. We make in the 6 digit salaries out here while the cost of living is very low and low taxes.

I wouldn't ever consider NYC, Chicago, and I used to live in LA and all those cities are horrible cities to live in. too crowded, high taxes, high cost of living, the only people who are benfitting from your high salary is the state and the federal government.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
Perhaps the list is there because those cities all have high taxes and are not business friendly while the others that are growing are.
Except that NYC has the highest raw population growth in the U.S. since 2010, and yet has high taxes and is not known as being "business friendly" (usually codespeak for puts corporate greed ahead of people).

So how is it that NYC has the highest population increase? Could it be that there are other factors at play?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
We all know that NYC has its ugly areas, but Houston doesn't have anything comparable to the charm, the sense of place, the vibe - as well as the beauty - of Brooklyn Heights, Midtown East, Park Slope, DUMBO, TriBeCa, SoHo, Upper West Side, Forest Hills, Riverdale, etc etc...

Let's face it, there is more beauty in the (little) Brooklyn Heights than in the whole metropolitan area of Houston
Exactly. A lot of areas in Houston look dull and aren't even worth bragging about. Of course, just how NYC has its ugly areas, Houston has its nice areas. But many of those nice areas are tucked away or are out in the sprawling metro lacking urbanity.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Beverly Hills is a beautiful, Mediterranean-style oasis. Much more beautiful than anything Houston or NYC has to offer.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
In analyzing data from the US Census I have found that these 3 cities people are getting the hell out of dodge fast! Alot of people moving for greener pastures.

Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Totals: Vintage 2012 - U.S Census Bureau

Here are the top 10 City Metros that lost the most citizens due to "domestic migration" in the last year...

1. New York-Jersey City-White Plains, NY-NJ -95,944
2. Chicago-Naperville-Arlington Heights, IL -40,907
3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA -40,361
4. Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia, MI -18,284
5. Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, FL -17,037
6. Newark, NJ-PA -16,753
7. Nassau County-Suffolk County, NY -12,516
8. St. Louis, MO-IL -10,991
9. Cleveland-Elyria, OH -10,579
10. Philadelphia, PA -8,042

By comparision, here are the best places to live in the U.S., the City Metros that gained the most population through "domestic migration" in the last year...

1. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX +40,345
2. Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX +38,651
3. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ +37,025
4. Austin-Round Rock, TX +30,324
5. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA +24,207
6. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL +22,728
7. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO +22,428
8. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX +20,912
9. Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC +20,481
10. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN +14,935
OP your data doesn't translate to your stated conclusion... You are very poor at analysing to say the least...

Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Free econmics lesson coming up......

Restaurant A charges $4.00 for a burger with a 5 out of 10 rating. Restaurant B charges $15.00 for a burger with an 8 out of 10 rating. Restaurant A begins to see a spike in demand and subsequently increases the price of its burger to $5.00, even though the quality stayed the same, and in response Restaurant B had to decrease the cost of its burger to $12.00.

Restaurant A's prices are rising and its burgers are in higher demand, and Restaurant B's prices are falling and are in lower demand. Does that make Restaurant A > Restaurant B? Is the burger any better? The only thing that's changed are the supply and demand dynamics, but not the overall quality.

I.e. Population trends do not dictate "good" or "bad" cities -- just better/worse value!! If it cost the same to live in NYC as it does to live in Houston, do you really think NYC would be experiencing a net domestic migration loss? If you do, you probably didn't understand the lesson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.