Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 04:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The backwoods portions of the states aren't Southern though. Just Southern influences.
Southern Missouri is part of the South. Branson, "that country influenced tourist destination," does not count as being part of the Midwest at all either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The backwoods portions of the states aren't Southern though. Just Southern influences.
Would you say those areas in your state or way out here on the east coast are more southern?

Old 04-03-2016, 05:14 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
So, in 1900 before the great migration Philadelphia's black population was 63,000 or about 5%. Quite different from a little less than one fifth.

African American Migration | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

Before white fight Baltimore's black population was 24% (1950). Remember that Baltimore missed out on the first Great Migration for the most part.
What point are you trying to make by noting percentages from both cities that are 50 years apart? I will say that it's funny that you mentioned the 50s because all four of my grandparents moved to Baltimore from the south in that decade.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:18 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
I love how the people saying MO is more Southern than MD are using no actual evidence, just simply saying it "seems" more Southern. Then when you press them for an answer, they say it's because it's more rural.

Keep in mind that the same poll that people use to prove MD is not Southern is the same poll that shows that an even smaller percentage of people from MO consider themselves Southern than even people from MD.

Call MO backwoods, country, or rural. Its own residents don't seem to think that's enough to be considered Southern, like not even a little bit.

And NO, apparently the existence of the bootheel isn't enough for the rest of the state. I'd say area-wise the bootheel is not significant enough to make a difference anywhere else in Missouri.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:35 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I love how the people saying MO is more Southern than MD are using no actual evidence, just simply saying it "seems" more Southern. Then when you press them for an answer, they say it's because it's more rural.

Keep in mind that the same poll that people use to prove MD is not Southern is the same poll that shows that an even smaller percentage of people from MO consider themselves Southern than even people from MD.

Call MO backwoods, country, or rural. Its own residents don't seem to think that's enough to be considered Southern, like not even a little bit.

And NO, apparently the existence of the bootheel isn't enough for the rest of the state. I'd say area-wise the bootheel is not significant enough to make a difference anywhere else in Missouri.
I think that Maryland is more culturally southern as a whole, but the bootheel is more culturally southern than any part of Maryland. I grew up just north of the bootheel and consider myself southern, and you can drive 10 miles and the culture can completely change between the lower midwest and the mid-south depending on where you are. Evidence of this includes what denomination the local church is and what kind of food people grew up eating/eat at home. Both sides of my family are mostly of the same stock that settled Appalachia, and the more I learn about that part of the country the more obvious it becomes. We even use similar words as them to describe different things.

I also know that most native Missourians aren't like I am so take it for what it is worth. Not trying to start an argument, just give some perspective.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I think that Maryland is more culturally southern as a whole, but the bootheel is more culturally southern than any part of Maryland. I grew up just north of the bootheel and consider myself southern, and you can drive 10 miles and the culture can completely change between the lower midwest and the mid-south depending on where you are. Evidence of this includes what denomination the local church is and what kind of food people grew up eating/eat at home. Both sides of my family are mostly of the same stock that settled Appalachia, and the more I learn about that part of the country the more obvious it becomes. We even use similar words as them to describe different things.

I also know that most native Missourians aren't like I am so take it for what it is worth. Not trying to start an argument, just give some perspective.
Gunner is right on this one.

The bootheel has a very strong Southern vibe to it....feels like an extension of eastern Oklahoma or Arkansas. It's right there knockin' on the the door of the Mid-South as a gateway to Tennessee, which for the most part, is undeniably Southern.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

Fair enough. That sounds accurate.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What point are you trying to make by noting percentages from both cities that are 50 years apart? I will say that it's funny that you mentioned the 50s because all four of my grandparents moved to Baltimore from the south in that decade.
Because you already mentioned that Baltimore had less than a fifth black population. I was also having difficulty finding Baltimore's 1900 black population and did not have much time. I said that we missed the first great migration, not the second one. Of course that doesn't change the fact that Maryland was 25% black in 1860.
Legacy of Slavery in Maryland: Maryland Census Data 1860

Pennsylvania's was about 2%, including "mulattoes" who made up 1/3 of that 2%.
Civil War Blog » The Census of 1860

By the way, after the census of 1950 was 98% of the 1950s decade. The migration in Baltimore had been occurring for less than ten years at the time.

You think I'm that stupid and trying to deceive people? I posted data, facts.

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 04-05-2016 at 07:03 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Closest I could find was 1880, 19% black. Still a great difference between 1 in 5 and 1 in 20.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:03 PM

^That was from the Maryland Census Data source I posted above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.