Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

First of all, the northeast is 90% rural. Really, it's only very densely urban for the 430-mile stretch along I-95 from DC to Boston (the "BosWash Corridor"). In fact, even most of Westchester County, NY, directly north of NYC feels very much rural in the northern half of the county. 90% of New York State is totally rural. Same with all the other states in the region, except maybe New Jersey, which is the most developed one.

Second, I'm sure the greenery of Oregon and Washington is nice, but as I've mentioned before, I much prefer the greenery of the northeast because it's deciduous greenery, which has a pleasant, lush appearance. The greenery out west has a drab tinge to it. And I love a hot, humid summer.

Honestly, the winters aren't as bad as people out west make it out to be. I mean, on most days, there's nothing to deal with snow issues (except for upstate and west NY), and people find plenty of things to do indoors. Four seasons really is nice, even if you only like one season, because it's nice to see each month with different weather from the previous month. No two months are alike.

I agree with you that the northeast is a bit more traditional or old school than out west, but big deal. We are the most progressive region in the country. Not to bring up politics, but the northeastern states are the first states to make reforms with healthcare, marriage equality, human rights, wage laws and more. The rest of the United States have to "catch up later" and "copy" the northeast when it comes to progressive laws. Our buildings may be old, but again...big deal. There are still plenty of new construction homes and buildings if you prefer that. And of course, we have the best historical sites in the country....by far.

Finally, the northeast is the only region with regional public transportation on a larger scale than anywhere in the nation. NYC, Boston and Philly have solid subway systems, and the Metro North and PATH train systems dominate the northern NJ, NYC, Long Island and CT areas. What does the west have to compete with that? Oh yeah.....nothing!

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a war here....I'm just defending my region, and I respect and admire the West as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Second, I'm sure the greenery of Oregon and Washington is nice, but as I've mentioned before, I much prefer the greenery of the northeast because it's deciduous greenery, which has a pleasant, lush appearance. The greenery out west has a drab tinge to it. And I love a hot, humid summer.
Lol. Yeah, those EVERgreens are really just so drab. Nothing to compare with the lush greenery of the trees that are bare half the year.

Drab tinge?????

http://img.timeinc.net/time/2010/por...tland_park.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XM2XDToTX1...0/IMG_2998.JPG
http://angelicview.files.wordpress.c...ivergorge1.jpg
http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...no-rigucci.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...x5w_1tHSFcUvuU
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...Wnt3QTBSjbBQiA

Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM

Evergreens are dark though. I prefer the bright green of deciduous trees. They reflect sunlight better and look more lush. Nice pics, though.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:52 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I prefer the West, but certain things about the East are better. I like the thunderstorms and exciting summer weather out East-the West, minus Seattle and Portland, lack the rainfall and greenery that out East has. Of course, we have more mountains, deserts, better beaches, more subtropical flora. But it is just too dry and bad for the environment. While the summer weather here is nice, it is quite boring and the nights are still cold. Out East, fireflies, cicadas, warm nights, monsoons...it is just so exciting. The east is also more walklable in general than the West and has better public transportation. As for everything else, I prefer the West. I hate cold and snowy weather, the live-to-work mentality, rude people (although the West has some fakes as well), the overcrowding. It just is not for me, at least besides a vacation. I also am not too big on Western European culture and such. I learned about it for years on end in school and it is just really bland for me as a result. I prefer the history of the Mediterranean, Eastern Europe, and civilizations of people of color, since it seems more exotic and we aren't exposed to it as much. I feel like the West represents that more and is more open to trying new things.
When I was in LA, it didn't felt too cold to me. I think there were night temps in the lower 60s and late 50s, especially when we first arrived outside of LAX. It was cool enough for a sweater or a light jacket. The cool nights were pretty decent imo.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
First of all, the northeast is 90% rural. Really, it's only very densely urban for the 430-mile stretch along I-95 from DC to Boston (the "BosWash Corridor"). In fact, even most of Westchester County, NY, directly north of NYC feels very much rural in the northern half of the county. 90% of New York State is totally rural. Same with all the other states in the region, except maybe New Jersey, which is the most developed one.

Honestly, the winters aren't as bad as people out west make it out to be. I mean, on most days, there's nothing to deal with snow issues (except for upstate and west NY), and people find plenty of things to do indoors. Four seasons really is nice, even if you only like one season, because it's nice to see each month with different weather from the previous month. No two months are alike.

I agree with you that the northeast is a bit more traditional or old school than out west, but big deal. We are the most progressive region in the country. Not to bring up politics, but the northeastern states are the first states to make reforms with healthcare, marriage equality, human rights, wage laws and more. The rest of the United States have to "catch up later" and "copy" the northeast when it comes to progressive laws. Our buildings may be old, but again...big deal. There are still plenty of new construction homes and buildings if you prefer that. And of course, we have the best historical sites in the country....by far.

Finally, the northeast is the only region with regional public transportation on a larger scale than anywhere in the nation. NYC, Boston and Philly have solid subway systems, and the Metro North and PATH train systems dominate the northern NJ, NYC, Long Island and CT areas. What does the west have to compete with that? Oh yeah.....nothing!

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a war here....I'm just defending my region, and I respect and admire the West as well
I second this.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
I grew up in Northeast PA, and have moved all over the place in my twenties and seen a lot of the country, so here's my take on the best parts.

1. Beautiful Nature and Wildlife
- I miss the Northeast's natural beauty so much. You can't find it anywhere else. Beautiful mountains, lush green forests, sparkling rivers/streams/creeks, natural rock formations, lots of awesome wildlife, amazingly colorful autumns, and sparkly white winters. If there's one big thing about the Northeast I miss it's this.

2. Chinese food
- After eating Chinese food in the Northeast, specifically the NY, PA, and NJ area, you are now completely spoiled and will never find Chinese food you can enjoy as much again if you move! Since I've moved PA, I've only come across ONE Chinese place (in Illinois) that matched that greatness of what I expect and the rest are just either poor or mediocre.

3. New York Style Pizza and Hoagies
- Similar to Chinese food, but you can definitely find a decent New York Style pizza elsewhere, it's just a bit tough. Also, no where else calls Subs "hoagies" and you won't find a sub that tastes just quite as good as the good old "hoagies" you are used to.

4. Safest part of the country to live in regards to Natural Disaster.
- With all the mountains and it's inherent geographic location, there's not much to worry about nature wise. 23 years I grew up in PA and the worst natural disaster we had was an ice storm, but compared to hurricanes, tornados, and other crap I've lived through in other states this was nothing looking back on it. All and all, no need to worry about too many problems with nature here.

All and all, not a bad place to be, but I'm personally glad I moved. I work in the tech world, and the Northeast is very blue collar!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Evergreens are dark though. I prefer the bright green of deciduous trees. They reflect sunlight better and look more lush. Nice pics, though.
Would you like these as well?:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...e-oaks-sc1.jpg
http://d1jrw5jterzxwu.cloudfront.net...caddo_lake.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DhykVqsPH-...K45920pWWW.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...60_796325c.jpg
http://www.orbitz.com/blog/wp-conten...eydavis818.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/12678805.jpg

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 PM

Those are nice too, but still pretty drab and dark. I like green maples, oaks, etc.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 PM

Also, the West is behind the times. In the Northeast, it's 2014, but out west they are stuck in 2013.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 PM

173 posts, read 225,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
This isn't an attempt at superiority, just answering your question of What the East and specifically the North East has that the west doesn't.

For me, a big facor is the deciduous trees. The west is dominiated with evergreen trees. Pretty, but not the same as hardwoods.
It's green. I mean really green. Not just a sliver along the coast like in the West.
So true. BUT at least in the cities, deciduous trees from all over the world, not just the Northeast US, have been planted since the first European settlers arrived. Autumn is my favorite season and Seattle can match any city for fall color. But true, the countryside is largely coniferous. The evergreens are beautiful in their own right, but nothing matches a drive through the deciduous forests of the east. This from someone who loves Seattle (and the entire state of Washington) and wouldn't live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.