Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times

Advertisements

Carvel Ice Cream Cakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
While we're sharing pictures ...

Two blocks from my house:

Three blocks from my house:

(photos by my good friend Joseph Minardi who has given me permission to use them in all social media).

Old 01-01-2014, 02:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you are a history buff you should at least admit that Colorado does not even remotely compare to eastern states like Virginia, Massachusetts, South Carolina, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Louisiana or Pennsylvania etc. for history. Its not even remotely close.

I love the West because of its dramatic mountain scenery and its large undeveloped spaces. But having said that, I also feel its missing something that is hard to describe, like a historic sense of place that you find in areas like the Northeast or the South.

That is not to say I do not find western history to be fascinating. I read a book about the Comanches last year and found the relationship between the Comanches and the other Indian tribes, the Mexicans and the early Texans to be very interesting.

Western USA history tends to be more small scale about individuals and the obstacles they faced. While this is also true of the East, in the East there is also larger scale history like the Civil War, the War of 1812 and of course the Revolution.

For instance, the "major" battle you mention, a battle of some 2,000 soldiers, would have been considered a skirmish in the East where several armies of 50,000+ or more were facing each other. Although very small, it was important for strategic reasons however.
Re: my bold (green) no, Colorado doesn't compare to those states; it's a lot better! (J/K) But Jeez Louise!

South Carolina? I suppose you mean Ft. Sumter. I can't find a number for how many soldiers, but I find that there were 43 guns and mortars fired.
Fort Sumter: How Civil War Began With a Bloodless Battle "How many men were killed at Fort Sumter? One Union soldier was killed and another Union soldier was mortally wounded during the surrender ceremony (see above). Fifty two Confederate soldiers were killed there during the remainder of the war."
By your definition, Ft. Sumter wasn't even a "skirmish". But it started the Civil War!

Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
It can be argued that since the colonies started on the east coast that they would be more developed there. However this does tend to ignore some of the settlements that already existed in New France and New Spain (later Mexico). The trouble was that much of this development was pretty low. Russian settlement of Alaska was in all due respects nearly insignificant and they actually tried to have a fort in Hawaii of all places (Fort Elizabeth).

The other part is that just due to proximity those from Latin America, Europe and Africa are closer to the eastern USA. That as a impact in terms of immigration. Not to say that there is not diversity from Canada and Mexico but on the east you have more of a proximity to the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Cape Verde (Portuguese), Quebec (French speaking) perhaps the highland games in nova scotia etc

Larger populations had a larger correlation with more sports teams. Yes there's some teams here or there but I still can't get how the Dodgers can't get a stadium packed in the 2nd largest city in the country. Yes I do know the Sonics left and the Cascadia cup is pretty big.

I guess it could be expected also that the mountains in western states do make it harder to develop where as the ones out east are probably hills in perspective.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:25 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
How about stuff like this, is this beautiful? (My photos)
I always think it's funny when people want to show how "beautiful" New England is, what they show are pictures of trees in the fall, in full color. But tell me, just how long does that stage last? A couple weeks? Let's see the same after the leaves have all fallen off.

As for all this nonsense about "history," it's just that. Nonsense. Everywhere has history. It's just different in different parts of the country. Native American history is much more present in the west, and that's a lot older than Colonial America. And to use Denver as a benchmark of the age of the west? Bad move. The center of the country was settled last. There were settlements on the west coast much earlier than that.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I always think it's funny when people want to show how "beautiful" New England is, what they show are pictures of trees in the fall, in full color. But tell me, just how long does that stage last? A couple weeks? Let's see the same after the leaves have all fallen off.

As for all this nonsense about "history," it's just that. Nonsense. Everywhere has history. It's just different in different parts of the country. Native American history is much more present in the west, and that's a lot older than Colonial America. And to use Denver as a benchmark of the age of the west? Bad move. The center of the country was settled last. There were settlements on the west coast much earlier than that.
I'd say that the changing of colors can actually last for a couple of months or so.

Also, while I agree that Native American history is more visible in much of the West, it is visible in parts of the Northeast as well and probably more so than some think it is. Parts of Southeastern CT, around Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard in MA and Upstate NY come to mind.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:05 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times
I'm the OP and Thanks for those of you who have shared some pictures here in this thread, I really liked the pictures of the nature, the farms, forests, and scenery. Just a few months ago, I thought that New Jersey was just nothing but towns cluttered with buildings, power lines, cars, and everything just covered in concrete etc. It looks more like a more stressful environment than my room hehe. I thought the entire state was just a bunch of suburbs connected to NYC. When I saw pictures of the forests, creeks, rivers, lakes, farmlands, and rural new jersey, that changed my views.

Some things some of you guys told me was that "Sorry the Northeast is all small and crowded, but that's how much of Europe, Asia and Latin America is." That is true for the most part. I don't know about Europe, but if you go into the Asia or Americas forum here or in Skyscrapercity.com, you will be shocked and amazed to see the new modern buildings and shopping centers in Latin American and Asian cities.

I liked some of the pictures shown here in this thread of the houses in DC and some other states. I don't like the gritty old style of colors and seeing buildings that look very old and torn up. I liked the ones that were preserved and colored. The colors painted onto the buildings and color combination gives them life. It gives it soul, it almost feels like it's magical. It reminds me of when I was in the old spanish colonial style towns in Mexico, especially in Guanajuato, very colorful and magical too =D.

Some other things you guys told me visit the east coast and well if I were to go east, some of the places I would go would be New Jersey, Washington D.C., Virginia, and the Carolinas. I've known only a few people from New Jersey before and I really liked them. They seemed like very passionate people. Like they make a big deal out of little things, and like they give that spark of life to just about everything, even to seemingly boring and mundane things. Like they are the type of people that if life knocks them over, and knocks them hard, they get back up and remain strong. Probably the worst thing I would say them is that it's mainly me, me, me...Like they talk about themselves and overemphasize their achievements. I've only met like, maybe 2 or 3 people from there but I really liked them and I wish I could meet more people from there. Sorry this is like a very superficial observation but once again, I really liked these New Jersey people. I also like the New Jersey accent.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times
Here are some pictures of the city of Guanajuato, which is the capital of the state of Guanajuato in Mexico. Don't say it's because it's my town bla bla bla, because while I am originally from Mexico, I'm not from this state. I am thinking some places in like New Orleans, Florida, or even DC, the Carolinas, and Virginia and Maryland have colorful houses kind of like this too. I like Old buildings, but I like them preserved or enhanced in a way that they paint bright, vibrant saturated colors. Also, preserved in a way to make them look like a clean, cut texture.

This Page Does Not Exist on CIEE Study Abroad

http://www.clubnoir.com.br/wp-conten...ato-mexico.jpg

http://www.guanajuatoguru.com/wp-con...9/gtoabout.jpg

http://piximus.net/media/14921/guana...red-city-1.jpg

http://mexicotoday.org/sites/default...jpg?1336666035

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/84/208...d7cc7cc2_o.jpg

http://opentravel.com/img/TravelGuid...ato-1265_4.jpg

Old 01-01-2014, 04:39 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Re: my bold (green) no, Colorado doesn't compare to those states; it's a lot better! (J/K) But Jeez Louise!

South Carolina? I suppose you mean Ft. Sumter. I can't find a number for how many soldiers, but I find that there were 43 guns and mortars fired.
Fort Sumter: How Civil War Began With a Bloodless Battle "How many men were killed at Fort Sumter? One Union soldier was killed and another Union soldier was mortally wounded during the surrender ceremony (see above). Fifty two Confederate soldiers were killed there during the remainder of the war."
By your definition, Ft. Sumter wasn't even a "skirmish". But it started the Civil War!
No, when I said South Carolina I was talking about the state's entire history not just one battle. Compare South Carolina to your Colorado.

History of South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
History of Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you see the difference? Why not give credit when credit is due?

Old 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Credit for what? How can you say one state's history is "better" than another's? Please explain. So one Wikipedia article is longer than another. So freaking what? They have different authors, you can be sure. Colorado was never a slave state, so that portion is of course missing from Colorado's history. And then explain why the battle of Ft. Sumter, with very few troops, is somehow "better" than the battle of Glorieta pass?

BTW, from the Wiki article about CO:

The first Europeans to visit the region were Spanish conquistadors. Juan de Oñate who lived until 1626, founded what would become the Spanish province of Santa Fé de Nuevo Méjico among the pueblos of the Rio Grande on July 11, 1598.

From South Carolina:

By the end of the 16th century, the Spanish and French had left the area of South Carolina after several reconnaissance missions, expeditions and failed colonization attempts, notably the French outpost of Charlesfort followed by the Spanish mission of Santa Elena on modern-day Parris Island between 1562 and 1587.

I see a difference of 36 yearsout of ~450 years, not even 10% difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.