Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Bottom line, the Eastern US (especially the original 13 colonies) has far more US history than anything west of them. The further west you go, the less history there is regarding the US. Since the country was founded pretty much east to west in basic order, the Eastern US is richer in history. Without it, there simply would be no America. George Washington walked through my town, all over my state really, with his troops and camped out throughout NJ. He crossed the Delaware from PA into New Jersey on Christmas Day, a landmark move for our side of the Revolution. Boston and Philadelphia are two of the most important cities in US history, and New York is up there as well. There is nothing like any of this out west. The East was part (really the only part) of the creation of the US and nothing beats the history here because of that.

Colorado, while amazing in its own ways, and the rest of the West the same, has nothing like this. The West wasn't important to the founding of America, thus its history is relevant but newer. The East has a longer line of American history than the West. This is a fact and is not hard to grasp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Boston and Philadelphia are two of the most important cities in US history, and New York is up there as well. There is nothing like any of this out west. The East was part (really the only part) of the creation of the US and nothing beats the history here because of that.
If you go to a museum of early 19th century American artwork and crafts, the bulk of the items are from the Northeast, and the eastern half at that. Boston, New York City and Philadelphia are the "big 3" heavily represented, but some rather obscure smaller towns show up a lot.

Compare say Boston with San Francisco. Both have lots of buildings from at least 100 years ago, but the buildings, monuments of Boston suggest a city that was one of the most important in the country in the 1800s. And yes, that doesn't mean San Francisco doesn't have history. Its settlement history and its status as being the only truly big city in the west in the second half of the 19th century (feels more important given its isolation) makes it rather interesting.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I said early on that I did not mean to disparage the wonderful cities in the western United States. I think Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, etc. all have excellent attributes.

My preference for the old "historic" cities like Philly, Boston, Baltimore, Charleston, Savannah, Newport, Portsmouth, etc. is that they ooze with charm, character, and quaintness. To me it's all about architecture, elegance, and culture. I'm not saying that western cities do not have any of this, but I find that I am not enchanted walking around LA or Denver the way I am in Boston's Beacon Hill, or New York's Greenwich Village, or Brooklyn's Park Slope, or Philly's Society Hill or Old City, or Baltimore's Mount Vernon Place. There is something special about visiting the house Walt Whitman was born in (Huntington, Long Island) or having a beer in a bar where Lincoln had a drink before delivering an address at Cooper Union (McSorley's in NYC), or visiting the oldest synagogue in the US (Touro Synagogue, Newport, RI), or strolling down the oldest residential street in America (Elfreth's Alley, Old City, Philadelphia).

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you go to a museum of early 19th century American artwork and crafts, the bulk of the items are from the Northeast, and the eastern half at that. Boston, New York City and Philadelphia are the "big 3" heavily represented, but some rather obscure smaller towns show up a lot.

Compare say Boston with San Francisco. Both have lots of buildings from at least 100 years ago, but the buildings, monuments of Boston suggest a city that was one of the most important in the country in the 1800s. And yes, that doesn't mean San Francisco doesn't have history. Its settlement history and its status as being the only truly big city in the west in the second half of the 19th century (feels more important given its isolation) makes it rather interesting.
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I said early on that I did not mean to disparage the wonderful cities in the western United States. I think Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, etc. all have excellent attributes.

My preference for the old "historic" cities like Philly, Boston, Baltimore, Charleston, Savannah, Newport, Portsmouth, etc. is that they ooze with charm, character, and quaintness. To me it's all about architecture, elegance, and culture. I'm not saying that western cities do not have any of this, but I find that I am not enchanted walking around LA or Denver the way I am in Boston's Beacon Hill, or New York's Greenwich Village, or Brooklyn's Park Slope, or Philly's Society Hill or Old City, or Baltimore's Mount Vernon Place. There is something special about visiting the house Walt Whitman was born in (Huntington, Long Island) or having a beer in a bar where Lincoln had a drink before delivering an address at Cooper Union (McSorley's in NYC), or visiting the oldest synagogue in the US (Touro Synagogue, Newport, RI), or strolling down the oldest residential street in America (Elfreth's Alley, Old City, Philadelphia).
Right - it's not to say other places aren't wonderful or even historical - but you won't find Eastern historical/architectural characteristics in the West for obvious reasons. I am very big on history and architecture (I am a history major) and especially love Victorian-era homes and buildings. I also love old row houses in tight, dense blocks (like you'll find in Philly, for example) with streets that can barely fit a car. Not only are these types of characteristic familiar to me, they mean home, but I prefer them as someone who is into history.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Right - it's not to say other places aren't wonderful or even historical - but you won't find Eastern historical/architectural characteristics in the West for obvious reasons. I am very big on history and architecture (I am a history major) and especially love Victorian-era homes and buildings. I also love old row houses in tight, dense blocks (like you'll find in Philly, for example) with streets that can barely fit a car. Not only are these types of characteristic familiar to me, they mean home, but I prefer them as someone who is into history.
Plenty of Victorian-era homes in San Francisco. Row houses, too. Or very close to it with tiny gaps. Streets aren't as narrow as Philly.

not particularly cute area just south of downtown:

neighborhood further out of not quite row houses:

Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Plenty of Victorian-era homes in San Francisco. Row houses, too. Or very close to it with tiny gaps. Streets aren't as narrow as Philly.

not particularly cute area just south of downtown:

neighborhood further out of not quite row houses:
Oh I know - both Victorian and row homes can be found anywhere. They're not necessarily specific to the East and they're beautiful everywhere (well for the most part).

My favorite area for Victorian architecture is Cape May, NJ. It's steeped in the Victorian era and history. It has a history involving pirates (their ghost tours tell you all about it - it's severely haunted because it's so old - if you believe in hauntings, if not carry on reading ) and presidents and other politicians from the 1700s-1800s vacationing there, it's the nation's oldest seashore resort town (I believe it was 400 years old in 2009), and the entire city is a National Historic Landmark for its architecture. Cape May comes second in the nation behind only San Francisco for a concentration of Victorian architecture, which is impressive because it's much much smaller than SF, but I think its age makes it more charming. I really recommend it to everyone - if you're in Philly ever (or Atlantic City or even NYC), and have time, stop by. It's about 90 miles away from Philadelphia and 40 from AC.

It is really very unique and so worth it - I don't know anyone who hasn't fallen in love with it. My friend is from Orange County, CA, her grandparents from San Jose, and her cousin from Washington state. Said cousin graduated from the Coast Guard in Cape May and her grandparents flew out to watch him graduate, and picked her up in Staten Island where she now lives on the way down. They loved Cape May - her grandma couldn't put her camera down and stop photographing the beautiful homes and hotels.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
You guys are clearly showing your ignorance about mining. Guess they didn't teach you that in your fancy history classes.

I leave you with this new years song.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
Excavating for a mine,
Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
And his daughter - Clementine

Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling,
Oh my Darling Clementine.
Thou art lost and gone forever,
Dreadful sorry, Clementine.

If that's not historically significant, I don't know what is.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

That said, I would venture to guess more tourists make a pilgrimage to see the Liberty Bell than to a molybdenum strip mine.

(my pic)
Do people like, pray to it?

jk

Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Do people like, pray to it?

jk
lmao! Though in terms of American history, the liberty bell is probably the closest thing this country has to having something similar to the "Kaaba" in Mecca. So yes, it is sort of a pilgrimage in a way.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
lmao! Though in terms of American history, the liberty bell is probably the closest thing this country has to having something similar to the "Kaaba" in Mecca. So yes, it is sort of a pilgrimage in a way.
That's good to know. Next time I'll come better dressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.