Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The issue was seasons, not humidity.
I know, my post wasn't relevant to that issue, it was meant as [mostly] a joke.

Quote:
I didn't include Omaha b/c I was doing mountain and west coast states, but when you brought up humidity I pointed out that Omaha is humid. So is KC. Just for that:
I didn't think they counted as west, but I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Denver's snow is pretty dry, except in the spring. It's not as windy as Illinois.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM

409 posts, read 588,083 times
Quote:
Denver's snow is pretty dry, except in the spring. It's not as windy as Illinois.
This is absolutely hilarious. You have, in the last few posts, used Denver and Nebraska to provide evidence for weather on the West Coast. Who knew that the West Coast extended to the middle of the continent?

If Denver and Nebraska are on/near the Pacific Ocean, then I guess New Orleans and Kansas City are on/near the Atlantic Ocean. The "Northeast" might as well be Omaha using that logic.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
This is absolutely hilarious. You have, in the last few posts, used Denver and Nebraska to provide evidence for weather on the West Coast. Who knew that the West Coast extended to the middle of the continent?
You're confused. The thread is about the entire western US, not just the West Coast. All the previous posts I saw in a quick skim discussed the west not the west coast.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,921 times
Quote:
Of course again, it snows in Colorado for a much longer part of the year than in Illinois.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Of course again, it snows in Colorado for a much longer part of the year than in Illinois.
Not much longer actually, and I don't know what snow has to do with wind.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
I haven't read this thread, but based on the intial question, the obvious things the Northeast has that the West lacks (at least on a relative basis) are as follows-

1. World-class urbanity, transit and high culture
2. Greater history
3. Seasons
4. Huge depth and breadth of higher education
5. Vast amounts of fresh water
The Bay Area is pretty urban and has great public transit... idk what "high culture" means but Hollywood is in the west which is one of the most well known and successful aspects of American culture. of course there are seasons out west. Education? there is California-Berkley, Sanford, UCLA and Pomona College... and plenty of fresh water.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The Eastern cities have more history than Western cities, just like European cities have more history than American cities. However, the regions as a whole have no more or less history than the other.
Santa Fe is one of America's oldest cities.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The Bay Area is pretty urban and has great public transit... idk what "high culture" means but Hollywood is in the west which is one of the most well known and successful aspects of American culture. of course there are seasons out west. Education? there is California-Berkley, Sanford, UCLA and Pomona College... and plenty of fresh water.
The poster is simply saying that there are a lot more of all those things on a relative basis in the northeast, which I agree with.

It's the same as saying that there is a lot more natural and scenic diversity on a relative basis in the western U.S.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
"I am from California (Oregon, Washington, Colorado), the end all and be all of everything good and beautiful. My view is fixed and I am neither cabable of nor desiring to change my immutable opinion. Yet, I want you to engage in the folly of trying to convince my deaf ears. Dance for me, fool, dance!"

That is the essence of a lot of conversation starters I have experienced with Californians (etc.). I used to actually fall for it. Now I just reply, "Nothing. There is nothing good about anything, anywhere outside California (etc.)."

There are New Yorkers (city) and Texans with the same anti-social personality disorder, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.