Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I ask this question because I really want to know some cool things about the Northeast. I've never been to the northeast. The farthest east I've ever been to was Atlanta, Georgia, and that's like in the northwestern part of Georgia.

I don't see how people can like the crowded cities where buildings and houses, are like almost attatched to each other. I like seeing cities that are more spread apart and especially seeing the new buildings. Not ones that are old and look like they're falling apart. Though with old buildings that have been preserved, that's a different story.

I don't see how this is beautiful
http://www.newyorkmurales.com/wp-con...x/bronx_04.jpg
http://superatlasipleri.files.wordpr...arihi-bina.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ridgenycha.JPG
http://www.queeeens.com/imag2.jpg
http://www.olivestudio.com/branch/wp...g_new_york.jpg

Times Square looks stunning and dazzling, I'll give you that, but if the northeast looks like the links I provided, then I would take cities like Los Angeles, Pheonix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Seattle, Dallas, Houston anyday.

As I said before, don't try and insult me and call me rude. I wasn't trying to. I don't want to hear that, I want to hear some cool things about the northeast and to prove me wrong.
What a stupid, stupid set of pictures. The most depressing possible pictures you can find, of ONE city in the entire northeast region.

Someone could have easily posted several pictures of say, Compton, Los Angeles and said "I don't find this beautiful at all."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What a stupid, stupid set of pictures. The most depressing possible pictures you can find, of ONE city in the entire northeast region.
I don't all of them particularly depressing, though they're obviously not the best examples of the Northeast.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
I like living in the west but the architecture, aside from some old Spanish colonial architecture is rather bland compared to some of the old Victorian, Georgian, and colonial architecture you can find on the east coast, especially small New England towns and Virginia.

You don't really see this out west
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DF1GLUn8oo...2589636-10.jpg
http://reesephoto.files.wordpress.co...d-steeples.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3291/2...09bf7d3a_b.jpg

Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
A little vignette about Colorado's mining history:
Remembering the Ludlow Massacre 100 years later | CPR
The Ludlow Massacre, one of history’s most violent moments in labor relations, took place 100 years ago on the prairies of southern Colorado and killed 20 people, including women and children.

**The massacre, which took place on April 20, 1914, was just one event in the Colorado Coal Field Wars which comprised a longer conflict over dangerous working conditions and unfair labor practices.
. . .
The Ludlow Massacre planted the seeds for changes that affect workers in all industries and workplaces today, Convery says. -**

Old 04-20-2014, 03:03 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
That is true. It has a lot more history. The Present day Southwestern United States was very sparsely populated by Native American Indians, Spanish and Mestizos. Those areas were largely neglected by the Spanish and Mexicans.
It has no more history than the west, it just has different history. The Northeast has more colonial American history. And more people living in a smaller amount of space.

Each region of the country has its own, unique regional culture. New England is a pretty nice one.

New York, in particular, has a pretty terrific bunch of museums. And a large concentration of live theater.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's good to know. Next time I'll come better dressed.
People come from all over the world to visit it for what it means. Its a symbol of freedom and the pursuit of such.

The image has been used by groups all over the world in their fight for freedoms

diminish it all you want, in fact the very freedoms that were set in place in this area allow for you to have this opinion freely

Old 04-20-2014, 10:41 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
The Eastern cities have more history than Western cities, just like European cities have more history than American cities. However, the regions as a whole have no more or less history than the other.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:02 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The Eastern cities have more history than Western cities, just like European cities have more history than American cities. However, the regions as a whole have no more or less history than the other.
That's a very narrow point of view. And just a bit self-important (not you personally, but on the part of most people ... who I think would express the same opinion). They don't have MORE history. The earth all has the same history. Just because Europeans weren't in the west as early as they were in the east, doesn't mean there was no history going on. History didn't only happen in brick buildings.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 PM

409 posts, read 587,881 times
I haven't read this thread, but based on the intial question, the obvious things the Northeast has that the West lacks (at least on a relative basis) are as follows-

1. World-class urbanity, transit and high culture
2. Greater history
3. Seasons
4. Huge depth and breadth of higher education
5. Vast amounts of fresh water

Old 04-20-2014, 07:46 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Someone could have easily posted several pictures of say, Compton, Los Angeles and said "I don't find this beautiful at all."
I agree with you. I don't even see how the last picture of the Manhattan skyline is ugly also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.