Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
McDonald's is gross... people say at McDonald's you know what you're getting but I don't think people really know the extent of additives and other things that are put in the food. And Chicken McNuggets? Disgusting. And McDonald's has a really irritating ability of taking things that are supposed to be healthy and making them just as fattening as everything else on the menu. Like pumping as much sugar in the oatmeal as what's in a Snicker's bar.

What Are Chicken Nuggets Made Of? - YouTube

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...ype=blogs&_r=0

The only time I ever went to McDonald's was when I lived in Spain because they actually served decent beer there that was pretty cheap and we only went for the beer.
But that just proves the point, you knew what you were getting in that beer. Not everyone who goes to McDonald's goes for the chicken. And a once-in-awhile meal isn't going to kill anyone. I don't think they are any more unhealthy than any other restaurant that isn't specifically designated a healthy food specialty restaurant. In moderation, they're okay occasionally if you don't mind the taste of their food. I think the self righteous foodies like to make them a scapegoat of all that's evil in restaurants making those who otherwise can't afford an occasional meal out, a treat for them, are supposed to feel guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But that just proves the point, you knew what you were getting in that beer. Not everyone who goes to McDonald's goes for the chicken. And a once-in-awhile meal isn't going to kill anyone. I don't think they are any more unhealthy than any other restaurant that isn't specifically designated a healthy food specialty restaurant. In moderation, they're okay occasionally if you don't mind the taste of their food. I think the self righteous foodies like to make them a scapegoat of all that's evil in restaurants making those who otherwise can't afford an occasional meal out, a treat for them, are supposed to feel guilty.
Exactly! As long as your not eating that stuff everyday, it's not really that big of a deal.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
If I go to McDonald's, it's usually to get a smoothie (not because I think they're healthy but because I think they're really good!) or fries - I'm a sucker for their fries. I go maybe once a month or less. I'm not a fan of McDonald's or fast food in general, I haven't been since I was a little kid.

McDonald's is appealing to some because it's cheap and convenient. It's also unappealing to some because in general, it's kind of gross.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
I don't care for their menu apart from their Breakfast. Everything else seems to be really mediocre and unappealing. Why is it such a cultural phenomenon in America?
LOL the last time I ate at McDonalds was last May - in England. And it wasn't because I particularly wanted to - I just wanted to compare the British version of American fast food to "real" American fast food.

It tasted as mediocre there as it does here.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well no, I actually did not and do not have any idea what else, if anything, they put in the beer. All I know is I was 21 and it was cheap and gave me a buzz . I'm not saying once in a while is going to kill someone or that McDonald's is the only place that puts things in their food. They are a scapegoat to an extent because they're so pervasive. But I do know that a cursory look at the nutrition information from their website does make me scratch my head at some of the ingredients. Like in the crispy chicken:

Ingredients: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Sugar, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Modified Tapioca Starch, Spice, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Carrageenan, Natural [Vegetable and Botanical Source] and Artificial Flavors, Maltodextrin, Sunflower Lecithin, Gum Arabic). Battered and Breaded with: Bleached Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Yellow Corn Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Wheat Gluten, Spices, Corn Starch, Dextrose, Xanthan Gum, Extractives of Paprika.

And that's just in the meat. The ingredient list for the bun is even longer. I have no idea what a lot of those ingredients are but I would bet my bottom dollar that if I googled them more than a few of those would yield some pretty derogatory information.

Premium Crispy Chicken Club Sandwich :: McDonalds.com

Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well no, I actually did not and do not have any idea what else, if anything, they put in the beer. All I know is I was 21 and it was cheap and gave me a buzz . I'm not saying once in a while is going to kill someone or that McDonald's is the only place that puts things in their food. They are a scapegoat to an extent because they're so pervasive. But I do know that a cursory look at the nutrition information from their website does make me scratch my head at some of the ingredients. Like in the crispy chicken:

Ingredients: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Sugar, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Modified Tapioca Starch, Spice, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Carrageenan, Natural [Vegetable and Botanical Source] and Artificial Flavors, Maltodextrin, Sunflower Lecithin, Gum Arabic). Battered and Breaded with: Bleached Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Yellow Corn Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Wheat Gluten, Spices, Corn Starch, Dextrose, Xanthan Gum, Extractives of Paprika.

And that's just in the meat. The ingredient list for the bun is even longer. I have no idea what a lot of those ingredients are but I would bet my bottom dollar that if I googled them more than a few of those would yield some pretty derogatory information.

Premium Crispy Chicken Club Sandwich :: McDonalds.com
Isn't it a good thing that there is disclosure and you can find out just what's in what's in the food? Just think, not long ago we weren't able to do that. Now people can and make their own choices. What a great age in which we live!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 PM

145 posts, read 257,167 times
I'll only eat it if it's there, like on a roadtrip and get hungry. Not a huge fan of them otherwise. I do like the frappes though. I worked at a McD's before so I know first hand how that stuff is prepared. Yuck.

And for Tim Horton's, yeah the coffee is bland and watery, the sandwiches and donuts are bleh, but the Iced Capps are addicting! Love those things.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
I don't care for their menu apart from their Breakfast. Everything else seems to be really mediocre and unappealing. Why is it such a cultural phenomenon in America?
probably for the same reasons it is a cultural phenomenon across the world. it is consistent, cheap, convenient, and most people think it tastes good.

but i'll yield the floor to all the people who never visit mcdonalds who want to brag about their refined tastes, and their superior sense of .... whatever..

Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 AM

88 posts, read 128,762 times
It is cheaper to eat unhealthy then it is to eat healthy.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
I fondly recall when McDonald's was a a special treat! It certainly wasn't something that we ate often at all. IIRC, the food was good back then. In fact, I think that as children, we were more stoked about the toy that was in the Happy Meal. McDonald's had cool commercials and characters back then, also. Perhaps they still do. We don't have cable.

I wanted to chime in. The question has been satisfactorily answered.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.