Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times

Advertisements

I actually think McDonalds is more divisive in America (people either take it or leave it) than in many other countries where people tend to universally like it unless they are the type that hates all things American like the slew of Canadian anti-Americans who have been posting a lot here lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I actually think McDonalds is more divisive in America (people either take it or leave it) than in many other countries where people tend to universally like it unless they are the type that hates all things American like the slew of Canadian anti-Americans who have been posting a lot here lately.
There's also the fact we have extremely lax rules about food compared to many countries. The food McDonalds serves in Europe or even Canada is forced to be at a much more fresh and quality level than the total crap they serve in the USA.

That's the comments I hear most from people overseas, they're horrified when they come to visit and see how terrible our "quick" food is - the fast food, cheap restaurants, stuff at the stores, etc. Most countries don't let food suppliers pack in all the preservatives and chemicals that they do in the USA to make our food last forever on the shelf.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,726 times
Here is the truth...they really don't. People buy it because it's cheap and quick, not much more.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Apples would be a better meal than anything from McDonald's. Publix is overpriced? Maybe you should look at the food you are eating and learn to actually cook. It doesn't take that long. People are just lazy. Even if you buy all your food at whole foods (not prepared food mind you), it is still cheaper than eating out. Eating Fast food should not be an option, you are basically killing yourself slowly.
Yes, Publix is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Every bit as expensive as some Alaska chains, and that tells you something right there. My wife and I would easily spend $150-200 on food a week there. And that's just essentials - bread, milk, cereal, meats (my GOD are the meats expensive) and produce. It is simply not meant for lower-middle class shoppers, other than grabbing a few select items. Walmart is a decent alternative - granted, food's expensive no matter where you go - but you can easily chop off a good 15-20% of your total bill by shopping there.

And we know how to cook - and usually do, thank you very much. While eating out adds up, cooking at home is still very expensive - and often extremely wasteful. Even after the second night there's still a lot left, and tends to get thrown out as the shelf life is pretty short.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There's also the fact we have extremely lax rules about food compared to many countries. The food McDonalds serves in Europe or even Canada is forced to be at a much more fresh and quality level than the total crap they serve in the USA.

That's the comments I hear most from people overseas, they're horrified when they come to visit and see how terrible our "quick" food is - the fast food, cheap restaurants, stuff at the stores, etc. Most countries don't let food suppliers pack in all the preservatives and chemicals that they do in the USA to make our food last forever on the shelf.
Please provide a supporting link. The Mac's in Canada seemed just the same as the ones in the US. I never ate at a Mac's in Europe.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Yes, Publix is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Every bit as expensive as some Alaska chains, and that tells you something right there. My wife and I would easily spend $150-200 on food a week there. And that's just essentials - bread, milk, cereal, meats (my GOD are the meats expensive) and produce. It is simply not meant for lower-middle class shoppers, other than grabbing a few select items. Walmart is a decent alternative - granted, food's expensive no matter where you go - but you can easily chop off a good 15-20% of your total bill by shopping there.

And we know how to cook - and usually do, thank you very much. While eating out adds up, cooking at home is still very expensive - and often extremely wasteful. Even after the second night there's still a lot left, and tends to get thrown out as the shelf life is pretty short.
Well it's generally not smart to shop everything at one store, better to only shop sale items at multiple stores, buy in bulk, and stock up.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, it's available, but how many people are going to research what exactly is in McDonald's food on their website and whether it's good or bad before they go? And it's not like the information is apparent on the menu when you go through the drive through. I wouldn't have even thought twice about what McDonald's puts in its food until I saw the documentary about the guy who went on a McDonald's diet for six weeks and developed all sorts of health problems. Can't remember the name of it at the moment. So I really don't think people "know what they're getting" most of the time. Or, they just don't care.
A lot of people probably, at least those who are educated about health formally, who had families who tell them these things, or many who have passed through sports programs even... There is a high level of correlation between education and obesity. Many colleges require you to take a health/nutrition science class as part of the liberal arts requirements.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:39 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times
Why do I like McDaonalds?

BECAUSE I AM POOR.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM

142 posts, read 219,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This wasn't an anti American post at all! I was only asking why Mcdonald's is still "on top" in the US as there's so many better places to get fast food for cheap. I much prefer Taco Bell to anything I could get on the Mcdonald's menu.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,186 times
Answer is simple: It's cheap. If I'm lazy and/or tired, I can get 2 chicken sandwiches, a small fry, and an apple pie for $4. Personally, I'd rather eat something healthier. But in other countries, McDonalds and similar fast food restaurants have much more expensive menu items. There is no dollar menu in Europe. But McDonalds in the US is relatively inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.