Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times

Advertisements

I dont F with that S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Why does much of the world love McDonalds? There's McDonalds all over a lot of different countries... Last year upon arrival at the fairly shiny and fancy Vienna airport I noticed a sparkling new McDonalds(at least it looked new) in the arrival section. I've seen McDonalds all over the world, even in places like Morocco.

Among my group of friends and family in the US, I think very few would ever eat at McDonalds, even those that might admit to going to fast food once in a while, usually wouldn't go to McDonalds. They've sort of had a bad rep overall(though they're really not much worse than any other fast food franchise), so much so that they rebranded their whole store and product line after the whole SuperSize Me film.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Checkers > McDonald's

Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I don't even think fast food is all that cheap anymore. Sure, a plain hamburger and small fry are cheap, but how many people actually fill up on that? It seems like once you get done paying for sides and drinks or "value" meals it's close to $7 or $8. For that price or a little more, you could eat somewhere slightly better (even if it is one of those dreaded chains).

Food isn't all that cheap here, unfortunately, especially fresh produce. We also don't have Trader Joes. I have to shop at 3 or 4 different stores just to get everything and not pay a small fortune. Still, if you take advantage of sales and reward discounts and co-ops (if available), it is cheaper to eat healthier at home.
Right on.

Around here, I can buy a grain fed, range chicken for about $6. Boil that and I can get three or four meals from it, for 2 people - maybe even more. Chicken meat, chicken broth - I can make chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, chicken salad, chicken enchiladas, chicken spaghetti, chicken stir fry, etc. I can easily add inexpensive ingredients - pasta, bell peppers, spinach, onions, carrots, celery, etc. None of those additions are expensive and can stretch the chicken meat a LONG way.

I debone the boiled chicken and put the chicken meat in separate freezer baggies in meal sizes. It's so easy to pull one out and just start cooking with it.

Super inexpensive.

Another inexpensive meal to make is quiche. Milk, eggs, cheese, and then add what you want - nutritious and simple and CHEAP!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There's also the fact we have extremely lax rules about food compared to many countries. The food McDonalds serves in Europe or even Canada is forced to be at a much more fresh and quality level than the total crap they serve in the USA.

That's the comments I hear most from people overseas, they're horrified when they come to visit and see how terrible our "quick" food is - the fast food, cheap restaurants, stuff at the stores, etc. Most countries don't let food suppliers pack in all the preservatives and chemicals that they do in the USA to make our food last forever on the shelf.
I call BS. I have been "forced" to eat at McDonalds and Burger King in Britain, Norway, Germany, and France over the years (by native friends who insist on eating fast food) and the outward quality was the same as the U.S. Not especially good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
This wasn't an anti American post at all! I was only asking why Mcdonald's is still "on top" in the US as there's so many better places to get fast food for cheap. I much prefer Taco Bell to anything I could get on the Mcdonald's menu.
All right, I take back my accusation, but I don't think people who like Taco Bell should go casting stones at people who like McDonalds. :-)

Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There's also the fact we have extremely lax rules about food compared to many countries. The food McDonalds serves in Europe or even Canada is forced to be at a much more fresh and quality level than the total crap they serve in the USA.

That's the comments I hear most from people overseas, they're horrified when they come to visit and see how terrible our "quick" food is - the fast food, cheap restaurants, stuff at the stores, etc. Most countries don't let food suppliers pack in all the preservatives and chemicals that they do in the USA to make our food last forever on the shelf.
All I can tell you is that unfortunately I've had Mickey Dee's (and Burger King, and Pizza Hut too for that matter) in Europe and the taste and quality was even lower than in the US - if that's even possible.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:43 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I don't remember when I last ate at McDonald's, and I've probably only had it five or fewer times in my whole life.

Not claiming to be a health nut, now--it's just that where I grew up, there was a Burger King and no McDonald's, so I just never went inside a McDonald's before adulthood. By the time I had close access to McDonald's, I wouldn't eat it anyway.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
You know who really like McDonald's? Australians. I have no idea if that's true, but my sample size of four says it is...

Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
I haven't stepped foot in a Mickey D's in years...the food looks and tastes like someone slapped a coat of plastic on it. In N Out FTW, if only Ohio had one...

Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on.

Around here, I can buy a grain fed, range chicken for about $6. Boil that and I can get three or four meals from it, for 2 people - maybe even more. Chicken meat, chicken broth - I can make chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, chicken salad, chicken enchiladas, chicken spaghetti, chicken stir fry, etc. I can easily add inexpensive ingredients - pasta, bell peppers, spinach, onions, carrots, celery, etc. None of those additions are expensive and can stretch the chicken meat a LONG way.

I debone the boiled chicken and put the chicken meat in separate freezer baggies in meal sizes. It's so easy to pull one out and just start cooking with it.

Super inexpensive.

Another inexpensive meal to make is quiche. Milk, eggs, cheese, and then add what you want - nutritious and simple and CHEAP!
I don't like cooking, but even I can throw some chicken breasts in the oven and I can throw a salad together. I don't buy meat very often, but it's pretty expensive here. However, I can get a big package of chicken breasts or a pork loin at Sam's club (which my husband cooks ) and it's not too bad. Even a sandwich at home would generally be healthier than fast food as a regular meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.