Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

So I'm 29 years old, single and gay and do not like living in big cities. I lived in NYC for two years and found it to be draining. Even mid-sized cities like Denver or Tampa are pushing it, for me. I just don't find crowding and congestion to be an appealing way to live. I prefer smaller metros (less than 2 million) Whenever I tell my friends that, they think I'm weird, like I'm a loser or something for not wanting to live in a big special city. Most of them generally aspire to urban life and when they hear someone who isn't interested in it, they're reaction is this:

Has anyone else been looked down upon or made fun of for not liking urban living, for whatever reason? Why do people who prefer urban living sometimes look down upon those who prefer to live in the country or a smaller area? I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 AM

62 posts, read 85,140 times
Have these friends ever lived anywhere other than large cities or their metro areas? Maybe they have preconceived ideas about what places other than big cities are like.

I've had the experience of living in a variety of different settings, one being in the New York metro. I heard a lot of negative opinions, many of which were not based on reality, about parts of the country they'd never been to. The people who talked like this seemed to live with the idea that the center of the world is NYC and that everything else revolves around it. While I recognize the importance of New York and other large cities, I also understand the unique experiences people can enjoy while living in smaller cities, towns, and rural areas.

If people seem to be looking down on you for not liking urban living, try not to take it personally. Understand that they have different life experiences and a different world view than you. Perhaps by telling them a little bit more about the lifestyle that can be enjoyed in these other places, they can broaden their perspective and develop a greater appreciation of your perspective.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
Have these friends ever lived anywhere other than large cities or their metro areas? Maybe they have preconceived ideas about what places other than big cities are like.

I've had the experience of living in a variety of different settings, one being in the New York metro. I heard a lot of negative opinions, many of which were not based on reality, about parts of the country they'd never been to. The people who talked like this seemed to live with the idea that the center of the world is NYC and that everything else revolves around it. While I recognize the importance of New York and other large cities, I also understand the unique experiences people can enjoy while living in smaller cities, towns, and rural areas.

If people seem to be looking down on you for not liking urban living, try not to take it personally. Understand that they have different life experiences and a different world view than you. Perhaps by telling them a little bit more about the lifestyle that can be enjoyed in these other places, they can broaden their perspective and develop a greater appreciation of your perspective.
No, most of them are people who are currently living in less populated areas and wanting to move to a bigger city. And having lived in NYC myself and experienced big city life already, I tell them that I've "been there done that," and have no interest in living that way ever again. That's when they get butt hurt and start the damage control.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:28 AM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
NYC is the largest metro in the country and one of the world's largest. I would still consider Tampa a big city.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:29 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Some of the smartest hippest people I know live in small towns. Who cares if someone chooses not to live in a place like NYC or Tampa? I live in Indianapolis, so obviously impressing people by living in a magic land is not important to me.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:36 AM

Well, it seems like many of my gay friends think they are elevating their life to a whole new level and trying to make me jealous, by moving to a big city. Like they're super special or something.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:57 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, it seems like many of my gay friends think they are elevating their life to a whole new level and trying to make me jealous, by moving to a big city. Like they're super special or something.
It would appear these people aren't really "friends" if that's the intent and would spend time worrying about what really matters, your own personal happiness....first. You'll find everything else will fall into place once that's achieved.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:59 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
A lot of people have some weird misconception that where they choose to live is a direct reflection of their own importance. They aspire to live in the coolest, hippest place they can because somehow they think that automatically elevates their own status. So when you rain on their parade and tell them you aren't impressed with big city living they take that as a personal insult.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Also, they may not realize that you can get some form of urban living even in smaller communities. So, one or a few places aren't the be all, end all in that regard. It may be different, but it is still available.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Not liking big cities is fine as long as you don't express your dislike in terms of insult. Much like city people should not insult small towns or rural areas.

To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.