Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:23 PM

77 posts, read 103,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I was once at a small dinner get-together with a man from France and he was going on and on about how Americans don't even know where Paris is. So, I asked him if he knew the name of the capital of Indiana, and where it was located (or some other state). He looked at me kind of blankly and said, "No." I said, neither do I. That's how big my own country is. Why should I know the geography of Europe, which has nothing to do with my day to day life, either?
I think you made a good point with the gentleman from France. I have detected such blatant arrogance from Europeans about Michigan and Americans, in general. It is like Europeans are the experts of the entire world. Europe is a very, very small space by comparison, and they don't seem to have any idea (in many cases, not all) about the enormity of this piece of real estate. A Spaniard we came to know would extol all kinds of misreads about everyone, and never left the town of her residence here in Michigan, except for a train ride to Chicago. She finally moved back to Spain in a huff. She couldn't take it anymore. Living in a college community, I have had experiences of conversations of this sort with other Europeans. They rarely leave town, because they think they will run into people in this state who won't indulge them as much as the college community does.

But, back to MI and the impressions people from outside of the state have of it: I had a GREAT conversation with a "southern belle" from S.C. who hit the nail on the head about Detroit. She saw the sculpture of "The Fist" in Detroit, representing the fist of the great boxer, Joe Louis. She said very coyly, "Detroit is the city of MEN. Everywhere I look it's all about MEN." I think she was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 03:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Indianapolis is not a major world city. It's quite different to not know where Paris is located, IMO.

Paris is the most popular city for visitors on earth most years, and among the two or three best known cities on the planet.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:11 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Indianapolis is not a major world city. It's quite different to not know where Paris is located, IMO.

Paris is the most popular city for visitors on earth most years, and among the two or three best known cities on the planet.
I like to visit Indy, reminds me of Paris

Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
From an east coast perspective Michigan is largely not talked about.

Living in Buckeye County it's pretty common for people to blurt out less than nice things about the state up north.

Although The Spartans are my least favorite football team I have to say that Downtown Detroit is a blast and I would love to explore the UP during summer. I think Michigan has a lot going for it despite some problems.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Most places think Detroit flint de-industrialization autos pollution etc. MI has a lot of natural beauty is highly underrated in that regard IMO

Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 AM

638 posts, read 978,219 times
Detroit, Eminem, flint water crisis

Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I immediately think of Detroit. But I also recognize that Michigan is beautiful and a great place to vacation.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:

Can most Europeans point where LA, NYC, SF, and Miami are? Those are major world destination cities.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:36 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
I have lived in Michigan and many other states, and it's funny how different parts of the country have different impressions.

Other Great Lakes states, esp. Illinois- Michigan = Detroit (ie, crime, abandoned buildings, auto factories, lots of black people)

East coast, esp. NYC- Michigan = Farms (basically Kansas)

West coast, esp. SoCal- Michigan = ??? (people live there?!?)

And Michigan's impression of Michigan is Up North (trees, lakes, wildlife, etc.)
Chicago's impression: where you go on vacation during the summer to "escape the heat" lol

Old 09-13-2016, 10:43 AM

12,834 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Personally, I think of it as middle America, a lot of quaint small towns, balanced by solid mid size cities (Lansing, Flint, Grand Rapids) and an alpha city in Detroit. I've always wanted to live or visit there, but a pretty educated friend of mine has told me that it's basically the Alabama of Michigan. Not receptive to minorities, and I don't mean blacks that have been there generations, other minorities. Pretty racist. Was disappointed as it was on my list of places to live.

Landscape and scenery seem awesome. Love the Pure Michigan commercials and would love to visit Traverse City. Seems like everything you want is right there.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 09-13-2016 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.