Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Good manners and politeness are not fake. Just seems that way to people who take other people hostage by their brand of "honesty," and usually a code word for being rude and tactless. And, obnoxious.
As my mother - a southern lady - always says to me, "Honesty at the expense of others is simply selfishness." And I agree. "I'm just being HONEST!" is the shrill cry of the socially inept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:26 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Which firms? And if they do, they would have to use
Census data. I can't think of any organization outside of the federal
government that has the resources to do that

So then use the census. I don't have the link. Take that however you wish. It's my fault for repeating something I no longer have the link for, but I didn't make it up.

Quote:
That doesn't support the claim that 8 out of 10 Ohio natives who move to Florida
return to Ohio. It only shows (if you provide the source) that domestic
migration from Ohio to Florida is down 71%. I don't see how the former follows
from the latter.
As for this claim, here's the link: Migration/Geographic Mobility - State-to-State Migration Flows - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau
It's raw data, so you'll have to do your own math. I've already done it, but I don't think you trust me anyway. It's 2005-2013.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As my mother - a southern lady - always says to me, "Honesty at the expense of others is simply selfishness." And I agree. "I'm just being HONEST!" is the shrill cry of the socially inept.
What is with this view that you can only be honest in some mean, selfish way?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:39 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So you agree then, that Southerners are no more nice or perfect than people are anywhere else?
I believe there's a general politeness that defines Southern culture, but that doesn't make us any better than other people. It's others such as yourself that take issue with this for whatever reason.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
What is with this view that you can only be honest in some mean, selfish way?
I didn't say that.

Just because we think something, doesn't mean we have to say it. Especially in the case of unsolicited advice. Or just saying it to vent, to make ourselves feel better. Some things are best kept to ourselves.

Say that your friend is wearing a shirt you don't like. If he ASKS you whether or not you like it you can find a tactful way to tell the truth (surely you can, please tell me you can), but if he doesn't ask you, what's the point in telling him you don't like his shirt? Usually there's not much point in it - unless he's going to an interview or on a first date and has time to change, and you've really got his best interests at heart. But if you just want to "express yourself" by saying, "Dude, I hate that shirt," then that's "honesty at another person's expense," and usually not in their best interest - it's just to vent. In other words, selfish motivation. That's the meaning behind the saying, "Honesty at another person's expense is selfishness."

Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
I didn't say that.

Just because we think something, doesn't mean we have to say it. Especially in the case of unsolicited advice. Or just saying it to vent, to make ourselves feel better. Some things are best kept to ourselves.

Say that your friend is wearing a shirt you don't like. If he ASKS you whether or not you like it you can find a tactful way to tell the truth (surely you can, please tell me you can), but if he doesn't ask you, what's the point in telling him you don't like his shirt? Usually there's not much point in it - unless he's going to an interview or on a first date and has time to change, and you've really got his best interests at heart. But if you just want to "express yourself" by saying, "Dude, I hate that shirt," then that's "honesty at another person's expense," and usually not in their best interest - it's just to vent. In other words, selfish motivation. That's the meaning behind the saying, "Honesty at another person's expense is selfishness."
Your mama's point is well taken, Kathryn.

Those Southern ladies have a way of turnin' phrases which effectively gets their point across. I know my own elderly mama is full of 'em.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I believe there's a general politeness that defines Southern culture, but that doesn't make us any better than other people. It's others such as yourself that take issue with this for whatever reason.
I take issue with it because I don't find it to be true, and I think it intentionally denigrates millions of people you've never met while simultaneously assuming a positive about additional millions you've never met. People have taken issue when I've made claims/assumptions about Southern people, but those same ones seem to have no issue doing the same about those in the North. I was attempting to prove a point, and it seems to have went over everyone's head.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that.

And this is the problem... some of you believe people in the North will go out of their way to be *ssholes, while those in the South will bend over backwards never to say anything negative. That's just nonsense. People are the same everywhere, and very few people exclusively fit into either category, but both types exist in both places. Treat people well and that's typically what you'll get back, no matter where you are.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Your mama's point is well taken, Kathryn.

Those Southern ladies have a way of turnin' phrases which effectively gets their point across. I know my own elderly mama is full of 'em.
Thank you! And bless your heart! (For those who think that phrase is always meant in a snarky way, please note that in this context it means nothing but good! It's a very versatile phrase.)

Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
And this is the problem... some of you believe people in the North will go out of their way to be *ssholes, while those in the South will bend over backwards never to say anything negative. That's just nonsense. People are the same everywhere, and very few people exclusively fit into either category, but both types exist in both places. Treat people well and that's typically what you'll get back, no matter where you are.
You're not preaching to the right person. I haven't made any generalizations or even negative comments about people from the north (other than not personally caring for some NE accents).

In fact, I don't recall ANYONE saying that "people in the North will go out of their way to be *ssholes, while those in the South will bend over backwards never to say anything negative." So I really don't understand your climb up on that high horse.

Bless your heart. Come on down from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.