Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.70%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.77%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 71 18.54%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:24 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post

By the way, when people on here talk about the West Coast, they only talk about California, Oregon, and Washington. They omit Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico (Which is part of the West Coast).

(sometimes I lift )
THe Intermountain West, but not the West Coast. The COL in those areas is not as astronomical as the coasts. States like Utah, Arizona, and Nevada often get the "backwash" of people who can't afford the coast. I go to Utah a lot of for my work and sometimes I can't help but think it's like the Bay Area stuck in the year 2000. That's what it feels like to me. And indeed, a ton of Californians are moving inland to these states to buy better property.

But it's still not the coasts. The only inland city that can really compete almost on the same level as the West Coast cities (those on the Pacific, that is) is maybe Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
It all depends upon what one considers quality of life. For example I know that living in a city can offer conveniences you can't find in an urban area. With the city comes pollution, traffic, horns honking, and stench. City people go to the park and think that they see nature.
I like having deer walk up to my deck, seeing wild turkeys every day, fresh air, and space. That is quality of life to me. Are there places on the west coast where there are places like mine? Yes, but at what price?

Old 09-30-2016, 12:29 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I go to Utah a lot of for my work and sometimes I can't help but think it's like the Bay Area stuck in the year 2000.
Isn't Utah more conservative than California?

Old 09-30-2016, 01:24 PM

65 posts, read 55,142 times
No, California is too expensive. You can own a mansion with a pool in the backyard on a golf course in Des Moines for the same price as a 2 bedroom craphole in Compton.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
QOL is subjective. the WC has some/many areas that are very appealing from QOL perspective and also has many that are not very desirable, just like all other areas.

Most is subjective to the individual, and the best is based on the individual

Old 09-30-2016, 01:53 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBellyBilly View Post
No, California is too expensive. You can own a mansion with a pool in the backyard on a golf course in Des Moines for the same price as a 2 bedroom craphole in Compton.
Yeah, but you have to deal with 4 months of winter is what Californians will say.

I like visiting California but Los Angeles is very, very overpriced for what you get.

I have lived in Nebraska before plus Iowa for a short time and while it might not be the exciting, most people there have a huge social network and very strong family roots that are more then enough.

When it comes to things like grocery stores, fitness centers, good hospitals, schools that aren't overwhelmed and decent infrastructure Iowa and Nebraska has that covered well compared to most of the country.

Wish, I could post real estate links but I just looked and a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom shack in Compton for $345,000 or a 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom with a huge yard in a suburb with-in commuting distance to Omaha

House in suburb of Omaha for 319,000

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...858615!6m1!1e1

or this in Compton for with bars on windows for 345,000

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...d21de0!6m1!1e1

This is a fixer-upper in Council Bluffs, Iowa. It might not be on a golf course but it is reasonable for $87,900 with 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on a large lot

Last edited by lovecrowds; 09-30-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 04:34 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBellyBilly View Post
It's probably better for those who are married with kids or retire. Not so much for the single bachelors because everyone there gets married after high school/college.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:59 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
It's probably better for those who are married with kids or retire. Not so much for the single bachelors because everyone there gets married after high school/college.
Social culture in the Midwest remains behind the coasts, even though people like to deny reality.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Isn't Utah more conservative than California?
Yeah, saying that Utah is "like the Bay Area stuck in the year 2000." is one of the most accurate (and just odd) things i've ever read on c-d-f.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:50 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Yeah, but you have to deal with 4 months of winter is what Californians will say.

I like visiting California but Los Angeles is very, very overpriced for what you get.

I have lived in Nebraska before plus Iowa for a short time and while it might not be the exciting, most people there have a huge social network and very strong family roots that are more then enough.

When it comes to things like grocery stores, fitness centers, good hospitals, schools that aren't overwhelmed and decent infrastructure Iowa and Nebraska has that covered well compared to most of the country.

Wish, I could post real estate links but I just looked and a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom shack in Compton for $345,000 or a 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom with a huge yard in a suburb with-in commuting distance to Omaha

House in suburb of Omaha for 319,000

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...858615!6m1!1e1

or this in Compton for with bars on windows for 345,000

This is a fixer-upper in Council Bluffs, Iowa. It might not be on a golf course but it is reasonable for $87,900 with 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on a large lot

I think your logic is flawed.

I'm not sure where you're from originally, but the houses located on that particular street in Plattsmouth, NE are not very nice, IMO.

Also, Council Bluffs, IA is not very nice at all.

Sure, from an objective standpoint, those towns might be better alternatives than Compton, but I don't necessarily think that a married couple with school-aged children who work in Omaha would willingly move to Plattsmouth or Council Bluffs.

I would tend to think that places like Bellevue and West Omaha would win out to Plattsmouth or Council Bluffs for a local Omaha family any day of the week.

Likewise, most young families in Southern California don't move to areas like Compton, Gardena, Hawthorne, etc. to raise their families if they can't afford to buy a house in Redondo Beach or Torrance.

Expectations around home-ownership are different in Los Angeles relative to less expensive inland markets such as Omaha or Des Moines, and families here are OK with renting if they can't afford to buy a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.