Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.70%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.77%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 71 18.54%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:26 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
It almost sounds like any state a person may have had bad experiences in.
I wouldn't say I had a bad experience in DFW. I simply realized after living there for a number of years that the only thing about the area that appealed to me was the cost of living. Outside of that, there really was nothing there I couldn't live without.

The heat and humidity are a beatdown, the scenery is nearly non-existent, and if you take away water your outdoor options dwindle significantly.

The only thing keeping me there was my career, and when an opportunity to change that landed in my lap I jumped on it. I don't regret the decision one iota. I do, however, regret not taking full advantage of Colorado when I lived here the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM

163 posts, read 165,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There is some public transit to the local mountains. Either way to somehow insinuate people on the west coast are too poor to enjoy the natural amenities anymore than anywhere else is ridiculous.
Western cities are next to some great nature, but the city settings often are in relatively plain areas (out of practicality). For instance, LA has mountains surrounding it, but the city basin isn't as mountainous. If a person is poor and without a car, the PT has to go to those mountains, or else they are stuck.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Western cities are next to some great nature, but the city settings often are in relatively plain areas (out of practicality). For instance, LA has mountains surrounding it, but the city basin isn't as mountainous. If a person is poor and without a car, the PT has to go to those mountains, or else they are stuck.
I'm aware of that and PT does go to the mountains. This isn't really different than anywhere else either; poorer areas being away from nicer nature areas.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:00 PM

163 posts, read 165,453 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that and PT does go to the mountains. This isn't really different than anywhere else either; poorer areas being away from nicer nature areas.
And there is the answer to this thread's question.

Last edited by Inphosphere; 09-18-2016 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 02:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Cars run on gas. Gas cost money. Its amazing people don't understand that
I guess you don't live in an area with mountains or public transit but there are other ways besides a personal car to get to the mountains. Still doesn't change the fact that your statement that people along the West Coast are too poor to enjoy its natural amenities.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
The west coast has the lowest quality of life in fact.
Paycheck to paycheck living, few good paying jobs (Even IT workers are struggling in San Francisco), Fiscally unsustainable government, hellish traffic, crowded schools, toll roads, rude closed minded people. No thanks.
Plus you can't enjoy the mountains or ocean if you are broke and can't afford anything.
Besides the $20-$40 in gas, mountains and the ocean are free and probably the easiest form of "fun" if you are broke.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:29 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Quote:
I guess you don't live in an area with mountains or public transit but there are other ways besides a personal car to get to the mountains. Still doesn't change the fact that your statement that people along the West Coast are too poor to enjoy its natural amenities.
People who haven't lived out west must think going to the mountains or beaches is like going on vacation, something that takes extensive planning and money. I live within 3 miles of the coast, just south of LA county and I can be in a National Forest (Cleveland National Forest) in about 30 minutes. It would cost about $5 in gas to get there, then I can hike, explore, etc.

All completely free!

Old 09-18-2016, 03:46 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
You don't have to take a bus into the hills per se. You simply go to a neighborhood with transit service that happens to be alongside a mountain or a seashore or something. Obviously that tends to be easier with seashores but plenty of hiking trails are easily busable. Or you can bike to these areas. I'm referring to LA, Seattle, Boise, San Diego, Salt Lake, Portland, etc.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:36 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,558 times
If I had enough money to have a really nice lifestyle on the West Coast, I could probably comfortably retire in Italy instead.

For everyone else, it's waiting in traffic, waiting in lines, and a never ending rat race.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,558 times
Quote:
Nope, doesn't work that way in the Midwest. I am not talking really poor ghetto-like areas, but blue-collar people have excellent access to parks around here. Actually many of my favorite hiking, fishing and camping areas are surrounded by the blue-collar townships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.