Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.70%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.77%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 71 18.54%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM

226 posts, read 258,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

This highlights the difference between one who loves the west coast and gets it, and those who don't.

What you just explained in this post is the very reason why I love California and the west coast/southwest/intermountain west.

Having so much rugged, wildlife-filled, geologically diverse public lands for me to explore and hike with meetup groups, Sierra club, and take my students on fieldtrips is something I cherish deeply. I became a better and more well adjusted person since I moved out here five years ago. I absolutely have no problem downsizing my housing to fit in to my budget to get to live somewhere that has both the culture and diversity of a major metro area and wildlands minutes away.

Conversely, I see NO point all to having all that "greenery" woods and farms that looks the same for hours in whatever direction you travel to, and have it all be privately owned with no trespassing, and a local culture in the cities where it is impossible to find groups of people who engage in hiking, camping, kayaking, etc. and where you can't take your students anyhwere on a fieldtrip that inspires them a wonder in the natural sciences.
Yes, this exactly. Though I live in a smaller metro area, I love how close I am to culture and amenities and also to wilderness. We can bike and walk to most places and we have good public transportation. We happily downsized both home and property to have this kind of access. Also, the mild weather here in Oregon means we spend less time indoors almost year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:44 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Uhh . . . no. The most amount that the "Big one" will do is make this pond a little bigger:

Make the folds on this highway roadcut a little more compressed and bunched up:

and this creek, have its 90 degree turn a little longer:

It would damage aquaducts and other infrastructure that would take months to repair, but that doesn't make for good movies.

Uhh . . . you do realize that San Andreas was a movie with the Rock, right??
Well, I like that you're an optimist. But, months to repair infrastructure, means people may be without water, electricity, gas, etc., for who knows how long. I wonder how many businesses would have to close, and subsequently, how many people would no longer have a job. To say, almost lightly, that infrastructure would take months to repair, is just scratching the surface. What would be the consequences of a damaged infrastructure? I would think you might need more than optimism, to get through that without major damage to the local economy.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Well, I like that you're an optimist. But, months to repair infrastructure, means people may be without water, electricity, gas, etc., for who knows how long. I wonder how many businesses would have to close, and subsequently, how many people would no longer have a job. To say, almost lightly, that infrastructure would take months to repair, is just scratching the surface. What would be the consequences of a damaged infrastructure? I would think you might need more than optimism, to get through that without major damage to the local economy.
OK, well I guess my post was incomplete then.

This is WHY there are reservoirs that the aquaducts feed on the populated side of the San Andreas fault. They are designed to provide water for six months, in case the aquaducts feeding them are damaged. And even in the worse case possible scenario the port of LA/Long Beach is the largest port in North America. It would be able to handle deliveries of rationed bottled water for everyone. (and actually, since I live in Pasadena I get 1/3 of my water from local wells in the mountain canyons, as opposed to LA proper which only gets 1/10).

As far as electricity, there are plenty of power plants which don't have utilities line that travel long distance that would be affected by major distant earthquakes. For example, I live right down the street from a power plant that provides a chunk of my power.

People outside the west coast like to think that preparations and precautions are overlooked.

In any case, I really am not familiar with a cost benefit analysis of natural hazards, but I am curious where the cost benefit analysis would lie, comparing a lot of constant small damages from infrastructure from winter freezing/thawing/salt corrosion, etc. and summer severe thunderstorms in the midwest vs the west coast where weather is mild, and storms are more mild, but where there is an earthquake every so often. I'm sure those studies are out there, just don't know where.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:30 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Cost of living is extremely expensive!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 AM

I don't think it offers the highest quality of life, due to the COL. I would rather live where I do, having access to hiking, climbing, water sports, and lots of beautiful scenery, while being able to work a 40 (or so) hour work week, and earn a living that affords me a beautiful home and plenty of spending money. I'm actually retired, so I don't work, anymore, but that's what I did, before retirement. I could move pretty much anywhere in the US, but am happy where I am.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:00 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I don't think it offers the highest quality of life, due to the COL. I would rather live where I do, having access to hiking, climbing, water sports, and lots of beautiful scenery, while being able to work a 40 (or so) hour work week, and earn a living that affords me a beautiful home and plenty of spending money. I'm actually retired, so I don't work, anymore, but that's what I did, before retirement. I could move pretty much anywhere in the US, but am happy where I am.
Well, having access to all that beautiful scenery and outdoor recreation is WHY I love the west coast. I assume by your username you are now in Wisconsin. Water sports are certainly abundant. Climbing? Where other than Devils Lake SP? Hiking? sure . . . I guess for short easy hikes, but public land is a little few and far between in the midwest. Although I would think Wisconsin landowners might be a little more forgiving for accidental trespass than say Texas.

But in any case, all these are in places that are not anywhere near where there is employment, cultural offerings or social opportunities. So they are great for retirees and for families who have connections (which are necessary in small towns) to get a good job. Whereas in the west coast, major metropolitan areas with jobs, cultural amenities and social opportunities are right up against mountains and public land and are easy weekend trip distance to some of the most breathtaking national parks in the country.

As far as the COL, there is variation. There are a couple cities in California that have both decent employment opportunities and a relatively affordable cost of living (even though many don't really think highly of these places). (The two I am thinking of are Sacramento in the north and Riverside in the south).

Old 05-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Well, having access to all that beautiful scenery and outdoor recreation is WHY I love the west coast. I assume by your username you are now in Wisconsin. Water sports are certainly abundant. Climbing? Where other than Devils Lake SP? Hiking? sure . . . I guess for short easy hikes, but public land is a little few and far between in the midwest. Although I would think Wisconsin landowners might be a little more forgiving for accidental trespass than say Texas.

But in any case, all these are in places that are not anywhere near where there is employment, cultural offerings or social opportunities. So they are great for retirees and for families who have connections (which are necessary in small towns) to get a good job. Whereas in the west coast, major metropolitan areas with jobs, cultural amenities and social opportunities are right up against mountains and public land and are easy weekend trip distance to some of the most breathtaking national parks in the country.

As far as the COL, there is variation. There are a couple cities in California that have both decent employment opportunities and a relatively affordable cost of living (even though many don't really think highly of these places). (The two I am thinking of are Sacramento in the north and Riverside in the south).
I kind of implied I could move anywhere, and choose to be where I am. We aren't bereft of cultural activities or plenty of outdoor activities in Wisconsin, and the state is beautiful. I couldn't begin to have in California what I have here, and still have plenty of money for travel and spending. I live in a house that would be well over a million in California...I couldn't afford that. It's nice to be able to make a choice, and I have.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona rank pretty poorly in regards to education and crime. Coastal California and Washington are largely unaffordable and California's larger interior cities don't seem appealing at all (Fresno, Bakersfield, San Bernadino, Riverside, Stockton etc.) California's University system is in shambles despite having excellent institutions and many bright students are forced to go out of state for school.

If you have a lot of money and can afford to live in Coastal California or Seattle than I could see the west coast offering a very high quality of life.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:05 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
if the west coast is way too crowded, then what are Texas and the Northeast? Your post doesn't make any sense.

How is Texas crowded? You can go a few hours on the interstate with nothing but open plains with a few small towns in between. All of the big cities are spread apart and hours from each other. Only the DFW metroplex can claim any kind of crowdedness.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:33 PM

765 posts, read 899,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
If living in a box for $400 a month and living a struggling life paycheck to paycheck is your idea of a high quality of life then the West Coast can't be beat.
If living a middle class lifestyle and enjoying the American Dream, Actually owning a home, Not wasting hours each day to commute to work and have extra money in your pocket to travel the world and enjoy life Then the Midwest is the best choice hands down.
There is nothing for 400 here. More like 800 for a box in Seattle and double that in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.