Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 05:39 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

Cold all the way!! Give me 4 seasons. Visiting sweltering places in February for a week every year is good enough for me.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:55 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFtoSRQ View Post
I was born and raised in Buffalo and I will say when I visit now in the summer it is SO pretty and lush there; I wish I could spend summers there. However, I always hated the winters, especially because it lasts from November until the end of April. The gray skies were the worst; I hated looking around and seeing gray skies, dirty snow, and bare trees for months on end. When it was sunny I'd go walk at a park, but the blowing wind would hurt my face and a couple times I slipped on the black ice on the hills. I always eagerly waited for summer, but it only lasted 2.5 months or so, and I'd be so depressed when I saw the leaves start to change in August.

The summer heat and humidity in Florida sucks, but at least when it's hot you can just put on some sandals and shorts and go, and maybe the car will be hot for a few minutes. You can do things in the mornings and evenings in the summer here, but in Buffalo you can't escape the snow/ice/cold, no matter what time of day it is. During the winter in Buffalo I had to dress in heavy clothes and sometimes boots, start the car early to let the ice melt (sometimes I had to throw hot water on it if the door froze shut), brush the snow off the car, shovel snow, try not to slip on the ice while driving or walking, and hope I could see while driving in heavy snowfall (the heavy rain here can make it hard to see while driving, but it usually only lasts a few minutes, unlike snow in Buffalo, where heavy snow can last hours or all day). Most of those things happened often, not just once in a while.

In some ways Florida is actually more tolerable in the summer, because we have air conditioning everywhere. Before I moved here I lived in an apartment that only had a wall unit in the living room, which worked only moderately well, and didn't reach the bedroom, so I was miserable on hot/humid nights. Most people I knew there didn't have central AC either. But at least there were no cockroaches in Buffalo.
Buffalo's an extremity, though. The amount of heavy wet snow they get is a lot even when compared to the rest of the north. I would love to live in Minneapolis, Madison or Boston. Places that are very cold but do not get the extreme levels of heavy snow like Buffalo. Nor are they as economically depressed.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well, the south and Texas/Oklahoma suck, but summer in the SW and California is much better thanks to low humidity. And really, high elevations of AZ&NV and the immediate CA coast from Lompoc southward have the best summers in the country
Humidity is pretty low in half of Texas without it getting over 105 on a regular basis.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Humidity is pretty low in half of Texas without it getting over 105 on a regular basis.
More like 1/3rd, don't sugar coat it, even Laredo and Del Rio see avg summer dewpoints in the 70's

Old 08-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
More like 1/3rd, don't sugar coat it, even Laredo and Del Rio see avg summer dewpoints in the 70's

Abilene is pretty dry and comfortable in summer. Again, I'm from Florida so what you consider humid I might not. The Abilene dewpoint is often in the 60s in summer not the 70s. My cousin's a truck driver, lives in Florida. He prefers the heat in Texas versus Arizona where he's driven through plenty of times, and Florida, where he lives. To him, Texas is "drier than Florida and cooler than Arizona." A happy medium. Bottomline; AZ sees more 100 degree days than we do. 80-90 is more tolerable, even with humidity than 100+ on and on. We had a 98 degree day with 10% humidity last year and yea it felt comfortable, but it dried out my skin and made me thirsty. And it only felt comfortable cuz the sun was setting at the time I was outside. Sun is no joke.

Low humidity also means drier vegetation. The desert is pretty and all but I'd rather live near a forest. I'm a tree person, not a cactus person. The eastern half of the US is very green and fertile and I'll put up with humidity in order to have that. Also, call me crazy but I also love the warm sultry air right before a heavy storm. I know humidity sucks but it also has its moments.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:23 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
After living in Miami Beach for a few years it is nice to go home to Cincinnati to experience the fall seasons. I love cities that have a perfect blend of 4 seasons like Cincinnati, Virginia Beach, Louisville, Knoxville, Louisville, DC. I enjoy a winter but not an overly long winter and same with summer.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Would you rather deal with really hot and humid summers (Texas or Louisiana), or really cold winters (Minnesota or the Dakotas)?

I've gone back and forth on this issue, but since I've moved to Texas, I've determined that I'd much rather deal with cold winters. Even walking to your car from the grocery store in this 95 degree humid heat leaves you feeling drained.

When I lived in Iowa, I used to work on my car in negative degree weather. As long as you bundled up, you were okay. No way I'd be able to work on my car in this Texas heat.
I have to be one of the most odd people in term of climate preference, lol. I love the 4-season climate where I live (Charlotte area). BUT, I absolutely LOVE snow, it doesn't bother me at all. As long as I can dress appropriately, very cold weather (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and very hot/humid weather (Tampa/Orlando) doesn't bother me. There are only a 2 areas I can think of that I would hate. New Orleans is so oppressively humid, it's at a level of its own. Seattle's/Portland's clouds/drizzle would feel depressing to me. I couldn't take living in a climate like that. Not a put-down, just a preference thing.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Haha, this is so ironic. On C-D, in the summer time, most people say they prefer cold weather, and in the winter, most people say they prefer hot weather.

Go figgur.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Well, the south and Texas/Oklahoma suck
And you're entitled to your opinion, which is worth exactly what I paid to read it.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:29 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And you're entitled to your opinion, which is worth exactly what I paid to read it.
Texas and Oklahoma are awesome, I am just not a fan of their summer heat. Both states have very friendly and kind people I will say. The heat and humidity would kill me in that part of the country and I live in Florida. I am getting tired of the heat and humidity all year long it wears me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.