Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 942,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm just glad that there is so much space in this land to allow like-minded folks to live in the areas they enjoy and connect with. Whatever one group thinks of the other is meaningless to me, compared to that positive aspect.

Why the obsession over what others think anyway? Seems so petty and un-American...

Talking about other regions is pretty much the point of the City-Data forums is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM

513 posts, read 576,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
My mom was not born in the US, but came to the San Francisco Bay Area as a 7 year old girl, grew up there, met my dad at 29, then moved to New Jersey (their previous NJ neighborhood) in 1993. The only reason why she lives in NJ is really because of my dad, but otherwise she misses the West Coast a lot and would have no desire to live in the East Coast if she did not meet my dad. My mom always said to herself that she would never want to move out of California, but she ended up doing so. The reason my mom and dad didn't settle in California is because my dad is really bad fear of earthquakes and he said he prefers snow over earthquakes. Also, my dad already bought his house as a single man, which was the house he lived in after graduating college and getting his job.

Things my mom says about the East
1. Terrible climate
2. Ugly drab scenery
3. People are ruder out here
4. People were racist in suburban NJ back in the 1990s
5. People are not as physically attractive out here
6. People do not dress nice and do not take great care of themselves
7. Houses are either generic or ugly

Things my mom says about the West
1. Climate is somewhat perfect (in the SF Bay Area mainly)
2. Beautiful scenery
3. SF has a better charm than NYC.
4. More LGBT than the East (especially during the 1980s)
5. More physically attractive people
6. People dress nice and take better care of themselves
7. When it rains in SF, SF still has a happy vibe
8. Beautiful Mediterranean houses

All the things my mom said is 100% true in my opinion
You and mom are certainly entitled to your opinion but it comes across as quite judgemental and superficial. Not to metion, many of these opinions could easily be conversely held (and often are by others).

Old 03-09-2019, 02:00 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,715,378 times
I grew up in the Bay Area in the 80s and 90s and there was definitely this idea that the East Coast and Midwest were a lot more square and boring, and that we were on the cutting edge and the trail blazers in terms of culture, music, etc. while the East Coast and Midwest were stuck in the past and just sort of static and less relevant. I don’t know if teenagers in CA still think that way or not.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM

1,235 posts, read 945,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The West is way more liberal in my opinion.
The West doesn't have the South.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:07 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,723,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You're thinking of California. I'm thinking of the inner mountain west. I lived in Montana and Wyoming for a total of 24 years and knew enough people from Idaho, Utah, and rural Colorado and there's no way in hell what you're describing is accurate.
What I described in my previous post applies to not only California, but also the urbanized areas of Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, which is the lion's share of the West in terms of human population. Lest you forget, California alone is home to more residents than all other Western states combined.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:15 AM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Why the obsession over what others think anyway? Seems so petty and un-American...
Petty and un-American? Have you never lived in the South or the Bible Belt or in almost any small town in midwestern America? I agree with "petty" but worrying about what the neighbors think is a preoccupation in those places.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:10 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I find Californians think CA is the best and that everyone loves it out there and wants to live there … contrary, I don't really like it and I don't want to live there and many other people feel the same.

I've gotten this kind of reaction from people online. People in California; "Eww what even is out there anyway?" My remark, "Not you. And thats good enough for me."

Old 03-10-2019, 01:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
Quote:
My mom was not born in the US, but came to the San Francisco Bay Area as a 7 year old girl, grew up there, met my dad at 29, then moved to New Jersey (their previous NJ neighborhood) in 1993. The only reason why she lives in NJ is really because of my dad, but otherwise she misses the West Coast a lot and would have no desire to live in the East Coast if she did not meet my dad. My mom always said to herself that she would never want to move out of California, but she ended up doing so. The reason my mom and dad didn't settle in California is because my dad is really bad fear of earthquakes and he said he prefers snow over earthquakes. Also, my dad already bought his house as a single man, which was the house he lived in after graduating college and getting his job.

1. Terrible climate
2. Ugly drab scenery

2. Beautiful scenery

Old 03-10-2019, 02:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:

1. Terrible climate
2. Ugly drab scenery

2. Beautiful scenery

Your mom’s opinions are opinions so that’s good as opposed to facts.

There are some very nice looking ppl & houses in the East.

NYC is incredibly LBGT-friendly, probably the most so in the entire country. NYC hosts fashion week every year & is highly regarded asa fashion city. FIT college is here and there’s even a street in NYC called Fashion Ave & the Garment District, so not sure where your mom is getting that from.

Meditteranean homes do exist in the east — i know bc I have one. Two areas specifically with this style of home outside NYC are The Gables area of Merrick & Bay Colony in Baldwin.

I think your mom should open her mind a little more. The east coast is stunning& an amazing place to live

Old 03-10-2019, 06:07 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
What I described in my previous post applies to not only California, but also the urbanized areas of Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, which is the lion's share of the West in terms of human population. Lest you forget, California alone is home to more residents than all other Western states combined.
Urbanized areas of those states yes. Other areas out west, not hardly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.