Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 PM

71 posts, read 45,699 times

Advertisements

East Coaster here. I traveled to the Bay Area for the first time last year and was shocked by how ugly/old most people appeared. I suppose its the prohibitive cost of living/techies/crunchy/homeless vibe but it was definitely not what I expected when I thought "California Girls". Maybe thats a Southern California thing? The city was pretty and the weather was pleasant but the people were not nice to look at!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 03:14 PM

381 posts, read 349,787 times
I went to a giants game in the middle of summer and it felt like winter.

Please stop saying the bay area weather is perfect.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 PM

822 posts, read 858,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Californians live in their own bubble and don't know anything about the east.

No cold, no snow, no old buildings, no humidity, no summer storms, no flatness.
they have mountains, cliffs, oceans, redwood, deserts, waterfalls, vegas next door, Three huge cities in their state.
That is their world.

Nothing in the east matters.

eh, maybe true for some, but when I lived there I met many natives that have never been East that were very interested in what it's like. And CA is a big state. There are places that get cold, snow, run down buildings, and plenty of flatness (drive down through the central valley sometime) I did meet a few "nothing else matters outside of California" people, but that wasn't the majority.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
I went to a giants game in the middle of summer and it felt like winter.

Please stop saying the bay area weather is perfect.
The SF Bay area is not perfect for everyone, but some love it.

You mention the Giants...the new stadium is much warmer on average than the old Candlestick Park, which was notorious for cold summer nights. But, yes, summer in San Francisco is usually late August to late October, atleast with the best temps and the most sunshine. The Bay area features micro-climates with tremendous temperature variations especially in the so-called warm season. It can be foggy in downtown SF and 51, while over the hill in Concord it can be sunny and 81.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
The West is more liberal than the East.

For example, more people in the West, aside from the large Mormon and Muslim contingents, have divorced parents and grandparents. As a result, a larger percentage of Westerners are more open to and accepting of divorce and remarriage than Easterners, especially Midwesterners and Northeasterners, who generally approach dating, relationships and marriage more conventionally. Also, aside from Florida, swinging, open relationships and polyamory are much less common in the East than the West.

Here is another example off the top of my head — people in the East do not usually name their children “New Agey” names, opting for more traditional nomenclature instead. Anytime you meet someone with an odd name or who possesses a peculiar spelling variation of a traditional name (e.g., “Ashly,” “Kaylynn,” etc.), that person is almost always from the West. If you haven’t already inferred, this phenomenon is especially acute among non-Hispanic whites.

Finally, the West, in particular Southern California, is credited with popularizing the American megachurch movement, which offers a radically different approach to Evangelical Protestant Christian worship relative to what has been considered the norm for much of American history. Although most megachurches are typically conservative in belief and doctrine, the form of worship is very liberal and non-traditional. For example, some of the larger megachurches in Orange County, CA allow you to eat breakfast at an on-campus cafe while listening to the preacher’s sermon of the day over the intercom. Try explaining that one to a Methodist in Lackawanna County, PA!
Interesting breakdown.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Trey, Chad and Constance anyone?...lol

Quote:

Here is another example off the top of my head — people in the East do not usually name their children “New Agey” names, opting for more traditional nomenclature instead. Anytime you meet someone with an odd name or who possesses a peculiar spelling variation of a traditional name (e.g., “Ashly,” “Kaylynn,” etc.), that person is almost always from the West. If you haven’t already inferred, this phenomenon is especially acute among non-Hispanic whites.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:49 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I'm from Texas, so I will answer even though my state is sort of a mix of West and South.
I consider Texas to be solidly East and South from my vantage point. My part of Texas (Houston) is definitely in the East. The Texas Triangle and West Texas/Panhandle are two different worlds.

I must say that Houston has a huge affinity with Los Angeles. I would postulate that Native Houstonians make up the majority of Texan transplants in SoCal.

Quote:
For example, some of the larger megachurches in Orange County, CA allow you to eat breakfast at an on-campus cafe while listening to the preacher’s sermon of the day over the intercom. Try explaining that one to a Methodist in Lackawanna County, PA!
Which would be impossible to do in a Catholic Church (1-hour fasting rule) if you want to receive communion. The Episcopal and other liturgical churches still observe that tradition as a social norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The South does have some differences food wise, becoming less so in the larger metros and some of it can be very good. Food is really getting better everywhere pretty rapidly IMHO
Houston is known for its restaurant scene. But some of the best Texas BBQ can be found in small towns near the Texas Triangle. San Antonio invented the puffy taco, which is just heavenly!

Last edited by KerrTown; 03-18-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.