Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times

Advertisements

My friend from LA said the one word they use to describe people from each area:

New York: Arrogant
Jersey: Obnoxious
Boston: Condescending
DC: Corrupt
Miami: Crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
We should probably start a what do East Coasters think of West Coasters thread for fun 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Old 03-11-2019, 10:58 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
My mom was not born in the US, but came to the San Francisco Bay Area as a 7 year old girl, grew up there, met my dad at 29, then moved to New Jersey (their previous NJ neighborhood) in 1993. The only reason why she lives in NJ is really because of my dad, but otherwise she misses the West Coast a lot and would have no desire to live in the East Coast if she did not meet my dad. My mom always said to herself that she would never want to move out of California, but she ended up doing so. The reason my mom and dad didn't settle in California is because my dad is really bad fear of earthquakes and he said he prefers snow over earthquakes. Also, my dad already bought his house as a single man, which was the house he lived in after graduating college and getting his job.

Things my mom says about the East
1. Terrible climate
2. Ugly drab scenery
3. People are ruder out here
4. People were racist in suburban NJ back in the 1990s
5. People are not as physically attractive out here
6. People do not dress nice and do not take great care of themselves
7. Houses are either generic or ugly

Things my mom says about the West
1. Climate is somewhat perfect (in the SF Bay Area mainly)
2. Beautiful scenery
3. SF has a better charm than NYC.
4. More LGBT than the East (especially during the 1980s)
5. More physically attractive people
6. People dress nice and take better care of themselves
7. When it rains in SF, SF still has a happy vibe
8. Beautiful Mediterranean houses

All the things my mom said is 100% true in my opinion
People on the West Coast dress very poorly compared to the east coast. Going to Denver was a shocker, everyone had on such casual plain boring clothes, and people were going out in styles that were 4-6 years old back east. In California most people looked kinda bummy, i dont think they know how to dress up the urban chich way as well as back east. That being said the Southeast has some of the worst fashion in the country. I dont have an opinion on the midwest.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:59 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

All Accurate!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:04 AM

381 posts, read 349,921 times
Californians live in their own bubble and don't know anything about the east.

No cold, no snow, no old buildings, no humidity, no summer storms, no flatness.
they have mountains, cliffs, oceans, redwood, deserts, waterfalls, vegas next door, Three huge cities in their state.
That is their world.

Nothing in the east matters.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 810,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People on the West Coast dress very poorly compared to the east coast. Going to Denver was a shocker, everyone had on such casual plain boring clothes, and people were going out in styles that were 4-6 years old back east. In California most people looked kinda bummy, i dont think they know how to dress up the urban chich way as well as back east. That being said the Southeast has some of the worst fashion in the country. I dont have an opinion on the midwest.
Well Denver is no where near the west coast so you wouldn't expect it to have high standards.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
The West is more liberal than the East.

For example, more people in the West, aside from the large Mormon and Muslim contingents, have divorced parents and grandparents. As a result, a larger percentage of Westerners are more open to and accepting of divorce and remarriage than Easterners, especially Midwesterners and Northeasterners, who generally approach dating, relationships and marriage more conventionally. Also, aside from Florida, swinging, open relationships and polyamory are much less common in the East than the West.

Here is another example off the top of my head — people in the East do not usually name their children “New Agey” names, opting for more traditional nomenclature instead. Anytime you meet someone with an odd name or who possesses a peculiar spelling variation of a traditional name (e.g., “Ashly,” “Kaylynn,” etc.), that person is almost always from the West. If you haven’t already inferred, this phenomenon is especially acute among non-Hispanic whites.

Finally, the West, in particular Southern California, is credited with popularizing the American megachurch movement, which offers a radically different approach to Evangelical Protestant Christian worship relative to what has been considered the norm for much of American history. Although most megachurches are typically conservative in belief and doctrine, the form of worship is very liberal and non-traditional. For example, some of the larger megachurches in Orange County, CA allow you to eat breakfast at an on-campus cafe while listening to the preacher’s sermon of the day over the intercom. Try explaining that one to a Methodist in Lackawanna County, PA!
Lackawanna County? LOL I grew up in Luzerne County. It's not quite Dueling Banjos territory.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
I grew up in Seattle, but our family traveled frequently to my dad's native Michigan (Detroit, Grand Rapids). I always thought the biggest difference was the "oldness" of the cities, whether it be downtown, or in residential areas with the old houses. I later visited more "east coast" cities, and it was Michigan x5. That said, I appreciate the history. It isn't for me as someone who has spent most of my life in the west, but I do respect the many centuries these cities have compared to the west. A simplistic, but honest anwser.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
^^

Fair enough...I guess it depends where you go...certainly there are older buildings back East—some with charm, such as brownstones—but there is also a bunch of new development...see Battery Park and Hudson Yards, among other places in NYC; modern high rises in Miami, etc....a common theme out West that gives me an aged look are those boring and homogeneous/cookie cutter brownish Koll Office towers and office complexes.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
My mom was not born in the US, but came to the San Francisco Bay Area as a 7 year old girl, grew up there, met my dad at 29, then moved to New Jersey (their previous NJ neighborhood) in 1993. The only reason why she lives in NJ is really because of my dad, but otherwise she misses the West Coast a lot and would have no desire to live in the East Coast if she did not meet my dad. My mom always said to herself that she would never want to move out of California, but she ended up doing so. The reason my mom and dad didn't settle in California is because my dad is really bad fear of earthquakes and he said he prefers snow over earthquakes. Also, my dad already bought his house as a single man, which was the house he lived in after graduating college and getting his job.

Things my mom says about the East
1. Terrible climate I like the 4 seasons.
2. Ugly drab scenery If you can't find beauty in the Appalachians or the numerous river valleys or the entire coastal plain, that's on you.
3. People are ruder out here I say they're more honest and up front. I can't stand the fake people of the West Coast.
4. People were racist in suburban NJ back in the 1990s LA literally rioted in the 1990s over racism.
5. People are not as physically attractive out here EXTREMELY SUBJECTIVE! I much prefer the looks of people in the Northeast because I like people that look more Mediterranean and the area has a huge population of them, especially Italian. Also I love Puerto Ricans and other Caribbean Latinos. I much prefer that over the coked out look in LA with people that care far too much about how they look with fake blonde hair and fake eye colors and plastic surgery covering every inch of their body.
6. People do not dress nice and do not take great care of themselves HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's hilarious.
7. Houses are either generic or ugly So historic rowhomes and brownstones and classic inner ring suburban housing is generic and/or ugly? That's news to literally the entire world.

Things my mom says about the West
1. Climate is somewhat perfect (in the SF Bay Area mainly) SF has miserable weather. I like the change of seasons.
2. Beautiful scenery Yes, the mountains and ocean meeting is beautiful, but it doesn't mean that there is no beautiful scenery on the East.
3. SF has a better charm than NYC. Did the definition of charm change to "elitist socially awkward tech bros with far too much money who gentrify everything and don't care about minorities"?
4. More LGBT than the East (especially during the 1980s)Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC all have massive LGBT populations that live with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Also, ever heard of Stonewall? Yes, they rioted, but NYC started the gay rights movement more or less. Also, starting with the earliest date, the following states legalized same-sex marriage: MA, CT, IA, VT, NH, DC, NY, MD...you get the idea. The Northeast legalized same-sex marriage before the west coast.
5. More physically attractive people Subjective. I disagree.
6. People dress nice and take better care of themselves I guess wearing a Patagonia/North Face is considerable the epitome of fashion nowadays? SF and the PNW are the antithesis of having style. LA has style when it's between 72-85, but anything under or over that temperature, and they all look homeless because they don't know what to do with themselves.
7. When it rains in SF, SF still has a happy vibe The PNW is very depressing. The SF fog is depressing. People in SoCal cancel plans the second a raindrop falls from the sky.
8. Beautiful Mediterranean houses Subjective because you just obviously don't like the east coast architecture, whereas clearly millions of people do. Also, Mediterranean tract homes in the middle of a desert is not beautiful...it's tacky. Also, the PNW doesn't do Mediterranean. This isn't CA v. East Coast. It's East Coast v. West Coast.

All the things my mom said is 100% true in my opinion
These are all massively subjective and I disagree on almost everything. I'm from LA. Live in the Northeast now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.