Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 08:42 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

The Northeast corridor has a lot.

Providence is too big. Same with Worcester due to counties not really belonging to the cities in their entirety. Same with New Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 10:38 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I'm baffled at how Eureka County, NV is in the Elko μSA. Most of the county's tiny population is in the town of Eureka, and the trip from Eureka to the nearest town in Elko County, Carlin, is 1 hr 28 min. Is 25% of Eureka County's population (or whatever the threshold is) really making a 91-mile commute through the barren desert?

I really should've asked people what they did for a living when I was passing through these towns.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Is Anne Arundel County closer to Washington DC or Baltimore?
Closer to Baltimore, in fact a small part of AA touches Baltimore proper, but at it’s closest point is about 18-20 miles from the DC line.

Interestingly enough, local DC news really seems to swallow up both Howard and Anne Arundel at least for certain news stories. Combined Howard and Arundel are closer to 900k I believe now than 800k. They are both physically closer to DC proper at their borders than Loudoun County, VA a clear sprawling DC suburb going in the other direction.
Attached Thumbnails
MSA's That Should Have Larger/Smaller Boundaries Than Census Gives-da04e236-b520-463b-96f4-d397af87de14.jpeg  

Last edited by the resident09; 04-04-2020 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Orlando's MSA area is ridiculous.
Both, Orange and Seminole Counties should be split in half, as their Eastern halves are practically inhabitable:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Or...!4d-81.2518833
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...!4d-81.2078164

Additionally, with regard to Lake County, unless one lives in Eustis/Mount Dora or Clermont area, no one is commuting daily into town from there.

On the other hand, Volusia County cities like DeBary and Deltona have plenty of daily commuters -- heck, there is even a Sunrail station in DeBary -- but yet, because they're in Volusia County, they get thrown into the Daytona MSA. It's a very flawed measurement.
I'm not sure where the 3,590 square mile number came up from, as the officially listed number is even more ridiculous at 4,012 square miles. Besides Lake County's far flung areas the same might also be said for those in Northern Seminole County not commuting to/from Orlando....and who weren't left out of the MSA like those just across the river in Debary or Deltona. I realize there's always peripheral areas who have that argument in every MSA but Orlando's scattered commerce areas versus a centralized core with dominate employment count changes the formula here, or at least should when factoring square miles.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:16 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Boston needs the top half of Bristol County MA and even Worcester County MA

Philadelphia needs Mercer County NJ

Old 04-04-2020, 04:43 PM

358 posts, read 620,697 times
Another vote for Raleigh-Durham. As someone who lived in Raleigh for 8 years (2011-2019), the two cities are just as connected as Dallas/Ft Worth, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, or Philadelphia/Wilmington DE. It makes no sense to me that this is not one metropolitan area.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:10 PM

712 posts, read 541,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Northeast corridor has a lot.

Providence is too big. Same with Worcester due to counties not really belonging to the cities in their entirety. Same with New Haven.
Hard to know exactly.

The rule of thumb should be, if Worcester MSA is more of shadow of Boston, then it should be part of Boston metro. Same for providence metro too. My gut feeling is that both Worcester/Providence should be counted as part of Boston metro because of commuter rail and closeness on jobs commuting and rails and culture.

For New Haven metro, I know it is not part of NYC metro because majority of folks work locally, very few commute to NYC, culturally New Haven metro is more of New England, not NY.

But for Stamford or specifically fairfield county CT, yes, it should be counted as part of NYC metro, cuturally, work commuters wise it is true.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I

DC's MSA, on the other hand, includes some very rural, low-population counties in Virginia that are a long distance from the District and I've never understood that.
Yes, - D.C.'s MSA goes all the way north to the PA border near Gettysburg (because Frederick Co. MD is so large).

And because San Bernardino, California is the largest County in the entire USA - about 250 miles across...... on many demographic maps the entire county (and adjoining Riverside County) are shaded in as a metro area, even though most of the enormous county is uninhabited desert.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:35 AM

142 posts, read 86,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes, - D.C.'s MSA goes all the way north to the PA border near Gettysburg (because Frederick Co. MD is so large).

And because San Bernardino, California is the largest County in the entire USA - about 250 miles across...... on many demographic maps the entire county (and adjoining Riverside County) are shaded in as a metro area, even though most of the enormous county is uninhabited desert.
I think you mean the DC CSA that absorbed the Baltimore region to very southern PA. Still a huge reach to claim commuting to DC. Baltimore and northern suburbs another thing.

Lot of boasting by CSA by DC posters. Probably the most on C-D for a region by CSA over a metro. They never bring up the Philly metro in the very southeast corner of PA though.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPositiveRespect View Post
I think you mean the DC CSA that absorbed the Baltimore region to very southern PA. Still a huge reach to claim commuting to DC. Baltimore and northern suburbs another thing.

Lot of boasting by CSA by DC posters. Probably the most on C-D for a region by CSA over a metro. They never bring up Philly though.
That's incorrect.

The DC MSA by itself borders PA at the Frederick County border. The CSA only since 2013 added an insignificant PA county that does little to no population boosting. The DC MSA is big, and by population 2nd biggest on the East Coast.

"DC posters" are constantly forced to correct people on assertions about the MSA/CSA. I think most people understand that DC and Baltimore's MSA's are separate, but intertwined at the CSA level. The two make up a larger region. Most of that population center is along I-95 or I-270/70 anyway. Not at the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains.

DC has counties East/NE of it by 18 miles that aren't a part of it's MSA, but 60 miles south and West that are. Therefore CSA is given to provide an alternative picture of the overall regional population. I'd love to see the outer edges of some of these CSA's to get slashed a bit, it would reflect even better the total "regional" not just MSA population.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-07-2020 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.