Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 01:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times

Advertisements

Feels weird to me that Seattle's MSA is only 3 counties (King, Snohomish, Pierce) while Portland's is like 8 counties. I think Seattle's should also include Thurston County (Olympia) and Kitsap County (Bremerton), which are CSA counties that are connected to Pierce by more-or-less unbroken development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 02:00 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
Raleigh and Durham should be in the same MSA but the two Triad cities probably shouldn't as they aren't very connected with each other as there is a good bit of distance between the two, unlike the Triangle where Raleigh's and Durham's borders touch. the Triad's dynamic is basically the same as the SC Upstate except there's 3 core cities instead of 2 in the Upstate.
Actually Upstate SC also has three core cities with Anderson as the third but it doesn't have the same cachet as High Point (furniture industry) or Chapel Hill (UNC). It's more like Burlington or Lexington.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually Upstate SC also has three core cities with Anderson as the third but it doesn't have the same cachet as High Point (furniture industry) or Chapel Hill (UNC). It's more like Burlington or Lexington.
The funny thing about Chapel Hill being the 3rd core city in the Research Triangle is that it's not the 3rd largest municipality. That honor belongs to Cary by more than 100,000 people. In a few years, Apex will push Chapel Hill to 5th largest. By the end of the decade, a couple more fast growing suburbs in Wake County could conceivably also pass Chapel Hill.
Oh, and before anyone types the reason why Chapel Hill is the 3rd core city, I already know why.

As for what the split MSA situation does to the Triangle's visibility, it might surprise a lot of people to know that the Triangle's CSA is now more populated than Nashville's, is growing faster, and consumes about 35% less land area.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
Areas that should be one metro:
Cleveland/Akron
SF/SJ
LA/IE
Raleigh/Durham

Old 08-10-2020, 08:13 PM

515 posts, read 253,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
ehh sure Anderson could be a third core area but as you stated it's not in the same vein as High Point or even Chapel Hill. the Anderson-Burlington comparison is spot on when you think about the similarities they share...

and rnc2mbfl if Cary keeps up its pace it could be challenging Durham and Winston Salem in population in maybe 15-20 years. I think it will pass Fayetteville by then as well. for an MSA for the triangle I could see maybe Chatham, Orange, Durham, Wake, and Johnston with maybe tossing in Lee and Franklin for a CSA, and eventually Harnett if commuting patterns and growth patterns continue. I hear its growing on the north side of the county, away from Fayetteville and toward the Cary/Raleigh area.

what I would define as MSA definitions for NC metros:
Triangle - Chatham, Durham, Orange, Johnston, Wake for the MSA, toss in Lee and Franklin for CSA
Charlotte - Meck, Gaston, Lincoln, Union, Cabarrus, Iredell, Rowan, then Stanly, maybe Catawba, and Cleveland for the CSA. If only we could cut off Northern Iredell, then it would make a lot of sense.
Triad - Guilford, Forsyth, Randolph, Davidson, Alamance, Stokes, Rockingham, Davie, no CSA
Wilmington - New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender, maybe Columbus for CSA but that's a stretch...
Asheville - Buncombe, Henderson, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, no CSA
Fayetteville - Cumberland, Sampson, Bladen, Hoke, Harnett for now, maybe Robeson

Old 08-10-2020, 09:10 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
So where would Burlington NC go. I was in Burlington today. Most people have ties to Durham. Work in Durham .Go to Durham for things.. but Burlington is closer to Greensboro? Also has a significant amount of people in the city working around Greensboro.

Is Burlington more Triad or Raleigh-Durham?

Old 08-10-2020, 10:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
So where would Burlington NC go. I was in Burlington today. Most people have ties to Durham. Work in Durham .Go to Durham for things.. but Burlington is closer to Greensboro? Also has a significant amount of people in the city working around Greensboro.

Is Burlington more Triad or Raleigh-Durham?
Anecdotally...I am currently working with a client who is a teacher in Durham but is moving to a townhome she is purchasing in Burlington.

I would say Burlington itself is more "independent" and not quite "tied" to the Triad nor the Triangle a whole lot. Though it does have 336 area code and not 919.

Mebane is increasingly more "Triangle oriented" despite the majority of the town being in Alamance County. Alamance County also sees much more growth in its eastern half (Mebane and environs)....closer to the Triangle; than in its western half which is closer to Greensboro/Triad.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:38 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
ehh sure Anderson could be a third core area but as you stated it's not in the same vein as High Point or even Chapel Hill. the Anderson-Burlington comparison is spot on when you think about the similarities they share...
Given the lack of distinction when it comes to being a big hub for a particular industry or as home of a major university, Anderson probably has a more favorable location conducive to more growth in the future right along the I-85 corridor; indeed it is the only one running through the Upstate. Columbia would be the region in SC most similar to the Triangle and Triad with one primary N/S and E/W interstate running completely through it.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:36 AM

955 posts, read 613,227 times
NE Ohio (Cleveland + Akron)
Bay Area (SF + SJ)
Greater LA (LA + Riverside)
Raleigh + Durham

Old 08-11-2020, 06:28 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:

and rnc2mbfl if Cary keeps up its pace it could be challenging Durham and Winston Salem in population in maybe 15-20 years. I think it will pass Fayetteville by then as well. for an MSA for the triangle I could see maybe Chatham, Orange, Durham, Wake, and Johnston with maybe tossing in Lee and Franklin for a CSA, and eventually Harnett if commuting patterns and growth patterns continue. I hear its growing on the north side of the county, away from Fayetteville and toward the Cary/Raleigh area.

what I would define as MSA definitions for NC metros:
Triangle - Chatham, Durham, Orange, Johnston, Wake for the MSA, toss in Lee and Franklin for CSA
Charlotte - Meck, Gaston, Lincoln, Union, Cabarrus, Iredell, Rowan, then Stanly, maybe Catawba, and Cleveland for the CSA. If only we could cut off Northern Iredell, then it would make a lot of sense.
Triad - Guilford, Forsyth, Randolph, Davidson, Alamance, Stokes, Rockingham, Davie, no CSA
Wilmington - New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender, maybe Columbus for CSA but that's a stretch...
Asheville - Buncombe, Henderson, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, no CSA
Fayetteville - Cumberland, Sampson, Bladen, Hoke, Harnett for now, maybe Robeson
Harnett and Lee Counties were in the Triangle's CSA until recently when they were switched and given to Fayetteville. Both counties have ties to Raleigh and Fayetteville, and are often the choice for couples where one works in Raleigh while the other works in Fayetteville.

As for Cary's growth, it's easy to see it passing Fayetteville, but I don't think that there's enough land for it to really challenge Durham in the future. Cary is hemmed in by Raleigh to the east, Morrisville/RTP to the north, and Apex/Holly Springs to the south. It's only clear path to growth is further into Chatham County where it will eventually hit the watershed of Jordan Lake. The irony about it growing further into Chatham is that westward growth means expanding into a different MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.