Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 10:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I wonder if that would trigger a Phoenix-Tucson CSA....
That honestly is probably the only answer. I never thought of this issue with the large counties in the west. CSA is seemingly the only answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 04:56 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,072,422 times
Quote:
I think it would trigger an independent Casa Grande AZ, MSA, before the sun valley corridor would be statistically combined. That’s just too big of a distance for it to intellectually be one market. The 113 mile spread between the two downtowns is filled with quite a bit of open dessert. Not like the 90 mile gap between SF and Sacramento that is largely developed.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:30 PM

313 posts, read 249,857 times
Mobile,Al it should include the three counties that border to the west( George, Greene, jackson county ms pop. 180,000), counties to the north (Jackson and Clarke county al pop. 40,000)and Baldwin county to the East (Pop. 223,000) instead of solely mobile county(pop. 415,000) the true msa should be knocking at 900,000 easy easy easy.

Not to mention Pensacola, Florida metro is next door (45 mins away) at about 450,000. The true csa should be roughly around 1.5 million

This area can be very deceiving on paper.

Last edited by MardiGras251; 05-11-2020 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 06:20 PM

562 posts, read 1,127,428 times
I think the Macon, GA / Warner Robins, GA metros need to be recombined. Like Raleigh- Durham, never made sense to me why Macon and Warner Robins were separated into two separate metro areas.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,410,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think it would trigger an independent Casa Grande AZ, MSA, before the sun valley corridor would be statistically combined. That’s just too big of a distance for it to intellectually be one market. The 113 mile spread between the two downtowns is filled with quite a bit of open dessert. Not like the 90 mile gap between SF and Sacramento that is largely developed.
If Phoenix and Tuscon are the same CSA, then Chicago and Milwaukee should definitely be the same CSA, as should Philadelphia and New York.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:33 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I don't quite understand why St. Helena Parish is considered part of the Baton Rouge metro area, its entirely rural with just a few small towns and not many people there commute to Baton Rouge at all, none of the suburban expansion from Baton Rouge has reached anywhere close to there except the tiny sliver that borders on Livingston Parish near Watson and even that's a stretch.

I question whether all of San Bernardino County should be part of Greater LA since a lot of it is desert all the way to the Nevada border.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:05 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't quite understand why St. Helena Parish is considered part of the Baton Rouge metro area, its entirely rural with just a few small towns and not many people there commute to Baton Rouge at all, none of the suburban expansion from Baton Rouge has reached anywhere close to there except the tiny sliver that borders on Livingston Parish near Watson and even that's a stretch.

I question whether all of San Bernardino County should be part of Greater LA since a lot of it is desert all the way to the Nevada border.
Of course it shouldn’t (nor should all of Riverside Co.) but as long as MSA’s and CSA’s use county lines you’ll always get this. This is also true with counties that aren’t as large as states like Southern California’s are? Most people know what cities within a metro they live in are/aren’t really a part of it regardless of what the government says? But people sure love to use them (especially on this site) when it fits their narrative.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Thank you. I’ve said this countless times. I’m convinced those who say the IE (especially Riverside Co.) is just a suburb of LA really don’t know what they’re talking about. This, and the fact it runs to the Arizona border makes it ridiculous to add to LA. The same can be said about the high desert of San Bernardino Co. all the way to the Nevada border.
All of Riverside county is a stretch, but obviously places like Mira Loma, Riverside, Moreno Valley etc are part of Greater LA

Old 05-15-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
The Gila River Pima Indian Reservation takes up a good chunk of Northern Pinal County which causes a break in urban development between the Phoenix urbanized area and central/southern Pinal County (Casa Grande, Eloy, Coolidge, Florence, Maricopa). That almost makes them more likely to link up to Tucson than Phoenix

Old 05-15-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Casa Grande will never truly link with Greater Phoenix because of the Gila River Pima Indian Reservation being between them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.