Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 AM

107 posts, read 1,203,077 times

Advertisements

I have no love loss with snow or no snow. I'm okay with it if it snows and then goes away by the next day. But here in Nebraska where I live, it seemed to snow, stick forever then it would melt and be muddy forever, then snow again. Same with the dang rain we're getting. GRRR My yard JUST starts to get dry for the kids to play in then it rains again! So for sure I am not looking for a rainy place. I have heard Oregon gets a lot of rain. That is somewhat of a blanket statement, not sure if all of it gets it or not. I wouldn't mind snow a few times a winter. I'd mostly like it in the upper 40's and above though. So far we've only found New Mexico as a state we'd like to live in. I can handle dry heat and some parts seem to have 80's and 90's with rare 100's only once in a while. But I'm worried about being able to have farm animals like chickens and such and also a garden there. Water is scarce compared to other states there and they often have a ban. I'd hate to have to take bathwater to my garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
I have no love loss with snow or no snow. I'm okay with it if it snows and then goes away by the next day. But here in Nebraska where I live, it seemed to snow, stick forever then it would melt and be muddy forever, then snow again. Same with the dang rain we're getting. GRRR My yard JUST starts to get dry for the kids to play in then it rains again! So for sure I am not looking for a rainy place. I have heard Oregon gets a lot of rain. That is somewhat of a blanket statement, not sure if all of it gets it or not. I wouldn't mind snow a few times a winter. I'd mostly like it in the upper 40's and above though. So far we've only found New Mexico as a state we'd like to live in. I can handle dry heat and some parts seem to have 80's and 90's with rare 100's only once in a while. But I'm worried about being able to have farm animals like chickens and such and also a garden there. Water is scarce compared to other states there and they often have a ban. I'd hate to have to take bathwater to my garden.
Western Oregon gets quite a bit of rain(usually just light drizzle not usually heavy, but drizzles often) but Eastern Oregon is basically a desert lol, quite dry but some snow in the winter.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 37,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
My husband and I are wanting to relocate our family in the near future and we're having a hard time figuring out where. We want to get out of Nebraska where it's humid in the summers and gets plenty of snow and cold weather in the winters. We are really looking for some place that has mild winters, even colder but not 32 all the time, more like 50's or so, so the kids can play. And the summers, we don't mind some hot weather, just not a lot of humidity. We'll take some humidity over cold weather in winter any day though. It needs to be a family friendly place with decent school systems. I know I'm not the only one out there in the big USA that is looking or has looked for some place like this. Can anyone suggest any states and/or cities to live in? I grew up in Southern California and it's just so darn expensive out there so we're trying to stay away from that type.

Thanks in advance!

Rebecca
I've been looking for the same thing. I have focused on the Port Washington/Sequim/Port Angeles Washington area. It's in the rain shadow of Mt. Olympus so it averages 15-20 inches of precipitation per year. Mild winters and cool summers. A definite improvement over the 75+ inches of precip most of the areas around there get.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:44 AM

343 posts, read 932,416 times
Coastal Southern California

Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,611 times
Seattle/Portland?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Another vote for Denver. Despite its reputation, the winter is mostly snow-free. Unless we get a really heavy snow, of say, 6 inches or more, it's gone two to three days. There can be weeks of warm (50ish), sunny weather, even in January.

Definitely low humidity summers.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,024,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Another vote for Denver. Despite its reputation, the winter is mostly snow-free. Unless we get a really heavy snow, of say, 6 inches or more, it's gone two to three days. There can be weeks of warm (50ish), sunny weather, even in January.

Definitely low humidity summers.

What?? Are you serious, winter is mostly snow-free, I know yall get way more snow than we do in Albuquerque, but then again you live there so I dont know, Steve-O thinks we get pounded with snow storms too, but it isnt as often as he thinks.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
What?? Are you serious, winter is mostly snow-free, I know yall get way more snow than we do in Albuquerque, but then again you live there so I dont know, Steve-O thinks we get pounded with snow storms too, but it isnt as often as he thinks.
I never said you "get pounded", did I? All I said was that you guys average 11" of snow a year, which is a decent amount. Sure its not Minneapolis levels, but its still a pretty decent amount of snow. I remember a few years back when ABQ got a few snowstorms that totalled over 20" inches in a week?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Yes, I'm serious. We "average" 60 in. a year, but that is the long term average. Many winters have 35 in or less. And it does melt in 2-3 days. There truly are weeks of snow-free weather.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,572 times
What about the western North Carolina area, like Asheville? It's up in the hills so humidity is not as bad as the coasts and I've heard the winters are mild. I don't know it stacks up in terms of cost of living but it must be cheaper than California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.