Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM

12 posts, read 48,685 times

Advertisements

After moving to SW Arkansas 13 years ago, I must say that, after living all of my life in CA, there is no better weather, that I can come up with and I really miss it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 48,685 times
Mistake: Moved to NW Arkansas, not SW.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,871 times
you hit my question right on the head & reasons for wanting to move!! We're orginally from KS but moved to CA 30 years ago, now we're back thinking to retire here! Wrong! I sooo remember why we left! Spending time outside has been a way of life for 30 years & being cooped up because of +100 & humidity is driving me nuts! We moved back with beautiful outdoor furniture that I look at from inside the window. And yes, sticky sweat isn't my idea of moisturizer either!

I've been looking for non-humid places to live as well but places that have diversion activities as well. CA spoiled us I'm afraid.

Colorado Springs is beautiful with so much to see & do. Almost every afternoon it sprinkles a bit around 2:00 then clears with an amazing blu sky for the rest of the day. Your kids would enjoy a day trip to Vail or Aspen to snowboard or just a nice lunch at an outside cafe. You don't mind the snow because you're so high in altitude, it's amazingly warm. Denver has so much to do as well, especially for kids. Expense wise, there's jobs that pay well, good schools, & very reasonable housing prices.

St George, HOT in summber, Flagstaff is nice with no humidity but housing seems high, & I as well am still checking in to Wyoming or Montana myself. Washington & Oregon are expensive to live in, & Nevada & New Mexico are also humidity free but are not so safe for families about now. Good luck!

forgot to add, I'm basing my opinion of housing on 30 years of CA living & last 6 months of KS living. I'm assuming NB would be in the ball park of KS.

Last edited by reneknght; 07-25-2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: forgot....

Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
The Pacific Northwest would fit that criteria pretty well.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
The Pacific Northwest would fit that criteria pretty well.
Ding ding ding. Just stay west of the cascades. East of them is a lot drier and sunnier in all seasons than west, but the winters are a bit colder and the summers a bit hotter. Not good if you're not looking for cold and snow.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 6,719 times
Default Rains very rarely?

I hate to be so negative, but I've lived in Seattle area my entire life. I have never experienced the "rains very rarely" that you speak of. The summers are mild, it is humid - where you feel sticky when you walk out the door, it is gray and cloudy more than not. The winters it is true you don't get much snow, you seem to get more ice. Doesn't stay for weeks at a time, but when it comes it will shut down an area for about a week or more. Last year we lost power for approx 5 days due to the ice and falling trees.
We are planning on moving in the next 2 years to somewhere with a better climate. Tired of all the rain.
It's a great place to live, if you are okay with the fact of all the rain. I am, my husband is not. He's from the Islands He says he's getting moldy......
Anyways, we want to move some place that our children can go outside more and play- and the dogs too of course and not always come in soaking wet......wet dog smell......

Old 09-11-2012, 02:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcrisos View Post
I hate to be so negative, but I've lived in Seattle area my entire life. I have never experienced the "rains very rarely" that you speak of. The summers are mild, it is humid - where you feel sticky when you walk out the door, it is gray and cloudy more than not. The winters it is true you don't get much snow, you seem to get more ice. Doesn't stay for weeks at a time, but when it comes it will shut down an area for about a week or more. Last year we lost power for approx 5 days due to the ice and falling trees.
We are planning on moving in the next 2 years to somewhere with a better climate. Tired of all the rain.
It's a great place to live, if you are okay with the fact of all the rain. I am, my husband is not. He's from the Islands He says he's getting moldy......
Anyways, we want to move some place that our children can go outside more and play- and the dogs too of course and not always come in soaking wet......wet dog smell......
You should read (and quote) the entire post. You left off the "in the summer" part. Which is the truth. It rarely rains during the summer, in Seattle. And I'm guessing you've not been anywhere that it's truly humid in the summers. In comparison, Seattle does not have humid summers.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,463 times
Default great state to live in!

Idaho and basically all northwestern n west coast states are free of humidity. I lived in Sandpoint, Idaho for over 20 years and it definitely has four seasons with no humidity. Boise is high desert with no humidity but not near as beautiful. Sandpoint is 60 miles south of the Canadian border. Springtime is wonderful, entire area smells li keep lilacs. Colorful fall and in the summer it can get up to 100 degrees but always cools down at night. Seattle is gorgeous but rains much more like all coastal towns on the northern west coast. Four seasons are not prominent, nice weather but limited swimming time in summer. There is no humidity to speak of in California, Oregon and Washington. However in the Sacramento valley because of the extensive amount of rice fields it can become humid from sitting water, without the rice fields you wouldn't' feel humidity and the valley wouldn't be humid. Also it doesn'tt have four distinct season's. Northern Idaho also has wild flowers and ferns which adds to the beauty and aromas. It's also free of rattlesnakes unlike Boise area. Montana is pretty but doesn''t have the variety of evergreens, ferns, flowers and deciduous trees like northern Idaho. I have lived in all the aforementioned areas. It can but doesn't' always snow hard in Sandpoint area. It' s 30 miles from Washington and Montana.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Flagstaff? Heavens no!!!! FRIGGIN COLD AND TONS OF SNOW.

Id agree with St. George and Albuquerque, which are high desert also, but with mild winter days and friggin cold nights. Id also check into Alamogordo, NM or maybe even Amarillo, TX. All the places I mentioned get snow (sometimes lots), but it melts within a few days when the temps rebound. Those places have dry climates, but also get dang hot in summer (not Phoenix hot though). Be prepared for summer monsoon season where the humidity soars and makes things quite uncomfortable, but not like Florida. Winters will be in the 40s and 50s, maybe some 60s, nights in the 30s, 20s and teens.
I lived in Florida for 8 years. Very humid in the summer, if you live near the water. I lived on the Gulf side. Also humid in Tampa, Miami etc.. Never while I lived there did the temps get down to 30 and 20's. That does happen, but rare. In the summer its hot and humid. I used to tell my friends when they wanted to visit, to come in April and May. The weather is perfect then, but by June it's hot and humid!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM

6 posts, read 27,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
Ya but NY is SOOO expensive! And I know about Arizona and NM, beautiful but very hot. I wonder what winters are like in Colorado Springs? I heard Washington was pretty but again I know they get a lot of rain or snow. I'm hoping some people write about what it's like in the states in between mid west and East. I have no clue what Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, all those are like in winter or summer.

It's amazing what someone's perspective is on a state or city until they go visit. Two years ago in July we went to visit Kalispell, Montana. Here we thought it was going to be all open ranges and desolite for the most part and oh my gosh was it gorgous and like a resort town! But it's more expensive than San Diego even housing wise.

rbmomof3,
You would not want to move to Ohio, it gets dog-gone hot and humid in the summer, Winter gets frigid at times. Ohio is the snow belt area.
Raleigh, NC is pleasant. I had a friend that has a home there and a vacation home in the keys.
Summers are nice and winters are mild with a few cold days. snow is about 3 to 4 inches.
I myself is looking to move to NC. I know further up in elevation the winters 40 to 50 and a few in the 30's) and summers are mild (67 to 75).
Kentucky and Tenn, that is where you are up in the smokey mountains mountains, Winters day range form 35 to 39 and may dip low at night, summers range 74 to 85. Providence RI is beautiful in the fall and spring, it is humid in summer since your near the ocean and winters cold (more like a college town). Since we have a screwy weather it is hard to pinpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.