Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

A city where blacks are most successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Do you mean a city where blacks are dominate, or a city where blacks are most successful? Many people would say Atlanta, but, historically, Seattle has had the strongest black middle-class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times
Columbus, Ohio.

Already has a diverse population, and a diverse economy. Columbus has been voted in the top 10 best cities for african americans in the nation for quite a few years in a row now.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
A city where blacks are most successful

Than that would probably be Seattle. It has always been a haven for blacks and Washington has always been considered the least racist state in the Union...probably because it was founded by a black man, George Washington Bush.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 AM

22 posts, read 77,758 times
(New York, NY) April 18, 2007 - BLACK ENTERPRISE (BE) today revealed its most recent list of top cities for African Americans as featured in its May 2007 issue. The top picks were culled from more than 2,000 interactive surveys completed on blackenterprise.com and by editorial staff evaluation. The editors weighed the following criteria as it pertained to African Americans in each city: median household income, percentage of households earning more than $100,000, percentage of businesses owned, percentage of college graduates, unemployment rates, home loan rejections, and homeownership rates.

On this year's list, the No. 1 city for African Americans is the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, which includes parts of Northern Virginia and Maryland. Residents who enjoy living in our nation's capital and surrounding region cited the robust job market and top-notch cultural activities as grounds for their overall satisfaction. "The perception of the city has changed. There's a lot more business development," says D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty. At $404,900, D.C. has the highest median home value of all the cities on BE's list. Other positive factors: D.C. has the lowest foreclosure rate (0.3%), property taxes, and sales tax (5.75%) among the top 10. Survey respondents are very dissatisfied with the quality of education, however, stating that the public schools are in desperate need of repair. Ironically, the D.C. metro area has the best-educated black population of the cities, boasting the highest percentage of high school and college graduates.

The No. 2 pick, Atlanta, GA, continues to impress. The city is home to 64,000 black-owned businesses and continues to offer extensive entrepreneurial opportunities. No. 3, the metro area of Raleigh-Durham, NC, boasted a 3.4% rise in job growth, the highest employment statistic among the cities ranked. Rounding out the 10 best cities for African Americans list is: No. 4, Houston, TX; No. 5, Nashville, TN; No. 6, Dallas, TX; No. 7, Charlotte, NC; No. 8, Indianapolis, IN; No. 9, Columbus, OH; and No. 10, Jacksonville, FL.

BE's 2007 list revealed some major differences from its 2001 and 2004 lists. All three lists have five cities/regions in common: Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, and the Washington, D.C. metro area. This year's list and the list from 2004 share Nashville, TN, and Columbus, OH. However, three cities from 2004 failed to make this year's ranking: Birmingham, AL; Baltimore, MD; and Memphis, TN. Birmingham's residents didn't give as strong a response as they had for the last list, and the residents of Baltimore and Memphis cited dissatisfaction with several key living standards.

Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and Raleigh-Durham were newcomers in the 2007 ranking. For the third consecutive time, major metropolitan areas such as New York and Los Angeles didn't meet the criteria. Chicago and Philadelphia, which appeared on our 2001 list, failed to return. Residents of these urban hubs continue to be disenchanted with nagging social problems, including the high cost of living, rising crime rates, and substandard public schools.

Just as in 2004, the South continues to be the region of choice with representation from eight cities-two from North Carolina; two from Texas; one each from Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee; and the Washington, D.C., metro area. The career mobility, affordable housing, and overall quality of life found in Southern cities appeal to the black families that live and work there.

The May 2007 issue of BLACK ENTERPRISE, complete with full profiles and key statistics for each city, is available on newsstands now.

###

BLACK ENTERPRISE, your ultimate guide to financial empowerment, is the premier business and investment resource for African Americans. Since 1970, BE has provided essential business information and advice to professionals, corporate executives, entrepreneurs, and decision makers. The monthly publication provides 3.9 million readers with information on entrepreneurship, careers, and financial management. As the definitive source of information for and about African American business markets and leaders, BE is the authority for business news and trends.

This was from last year's black enterprise best cities for blacks to live in.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,818 times
seattle where?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 21,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
Why does it matter...pick a place that u are comfortable with..Blacks are everywhere
it matters because African Americans are still not treated equally everywhere, there are some bad places for blacks still this day in age, and for you to say that means that you do not know much about that, no matter what race you are.go do a search on the worst places for blacks to live in 2008 and see if you find some, i bet you will. that is somewhat how i found this comment, i was online looking for a safe place to take my family, because i am tired of living in a racist state.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Than that would probably be Seattle. It has always been a haven for blacks and Washington has always been considered the least racist state in the Union...probably because it was founded by a black man, George Washington Bush.
I don't agree with your conclusion. One of the founders of Chicago was black also, but just look at the history of 20th century race relations in that city!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I don't agree with your conclusion. One of the founders of Chicago was black also, but just look at the history of 20th century race relations in that city!
race relations this race relations that. chicago is a mecca for black people.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekerdoodle View Post
it matters because African Americans are still not treated equally everywhere, there are some bad places for blacks still this day in age, and for you to say that means that you do not know much about that, no matter what race you are.go do a search on the worst places for blacks to live in 2008 and see if you find some, i bet you will. that is somewhat how i found this comment, i was online looking for a safe place to take my family, because i am tired of living in a racist state.
I am sorry but you should go look in a mirror. It seems you are the one that's doing the generalizing here. Why judge an entire city you don't even know?

I don't care if a black person lives anywhere, next door, two doors away, etc. You should just go where your job takes you. Many people and minorities cite "lack of diversity" as a negative, but many times it's their own fault, do to them only wanting to live around each other.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 21,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I am sorry but you should go look in a mirror. It seems you are the one that's doing the generalizing here. Why judge an entire city you don't even know?

I don't care if a black person lives anywhere, next door, two doors away, etc. You should just go where your job takes you. Many people and minorities cite "lack of diversity" as a negative, but many times it's their own fault, do to them only wanting to live around each other.
its obvious what i am talking to, i have been to college ,i have a job, i grew up in an upper middle class family, see i am black and not sure what you are and do not care ,but I know racism when i see it, my best friend for 9 years was bi racial, her mother's family disowned her mother because of it, there is racism and people like you that cause the world to be as bad as it is, i have lived in several states and saw so much , i think that people like you are bitter because your time will soon end, things are hopefully about to change because we'll have a leader for this racist ,screwed up nation. my nieces are bi racial and they have to deal with so much just because of their race and they are kids, i look at people like you and all i can do is laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.