Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 19,079 times

Advertisements

I can't. I could only name 31 cities in Wisconsin. Maybe this is easier for the bigger or denser states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 09:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I could name plenty more than 50 in New York

Old 08-18-2020, 10:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
That is pretty good if you can name 50 cities in New York. New York only has about 60 or so cities. In contrast, Wisconsin has 190 cities (I looked it up).

New York has literally thousands of communities (towns, villages, hamlets, neighborhoods in cities, 5 boroughs) and alot of them are well known but most are not technically cities.

Anyway, I live in New York and I was going to say Pennsylvania is New York's largest neighbor but I looked at Ontario real quick just in case and surprise! Ontario has more people now than Pennsylvania by a million or so.

I think I can name about 20 or so cities in Ontario from Toronto, London, Niagara Falls, Kingston to the city with one of the coolest names anywhere --- Thunder Bay!

Old 08-18-2020, 11:17 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
I loved watching the Thunder Bay tv show as a kid.

And I can’t name that for Georgia. Off the top of my head, I could get 13 cities I think. Double that for Virginia, which is smaller in population but closer in proximity. 50 cities is a lot. That’s like cities of 20,000 or so. I could do that and then some for NC, but life is short and I don’t care that much about the Peach state.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:33 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Philadelphia
Scranton
Reading
Allentown
Lancaster
Easton
Erie
Pittsburgh
Harrisburg
Carlisle
Coatesville
Bethlehem
State College
York
Williamsport
Wilkes-Barre
Hershey
Gettysburg
West Chester
Chester
Bradford
Coudersport

...beyond this, I'd be naming places where I'm not sure if they're 'cities', 'townships' (these seem to be very common in PA), or villages/miscellaneous municipalities. (LI Native's post #3 made me a little paranoid on this front, heh). I mean, I can name a bunch of places in western PA, but...I know most of them aren't technically cities. Mercer PA, home of the great Trent Reznor! Is Alquippa near Pittsburgh a city? I think it is, but IDK for sure. How about the terrifically named Shamokin Dam in the Susquehanna Valley along the route to DC (from where I live in Buffalo)? Even Lewisburg, which is home to Bucknell, not sure if city (although I think so). I have a couple friends from CePA muncipalities--one is from Ephrata, the other Lebanon. Are they cities? IDK...my friend from Ephrata makes it sound like the land that time forgot...which reminds me of the famous-ish abandoned municipality of Centralia PA. Is the college town of Slippery Rock a city? The outlet mall outpost of Grove City (located between Erie and Pittsburgh) has 'city' right in the name, but is it a city? Eh, I don't know, now that I think of it, I can't really name that many Pittsburgh 'burbs anyway, which may or may not qualify depending on the OP's generosity. North East PA is the non-aptly named...place immediately over the NY/PA border in northwestern PA. Edinboro is a college town near Erie that may or may not be a city; Meadville is a college town further south, same applies there.

I'm happy to conclude 30-35 and call it a day

Old 08-19-2020, 01:49 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Asking for 50 states is too harsh in my opinion unless you live right next to the border and you frequently drive in the neighboring state.

I lived in NJ and NY was the bordering state with the most population. I never felt a need to cross the NJ border since there is plenty of things to do in NJ and I will never name 50 cities in NY.

NY - Here's what I know:
NYC, Islandia, East Hampton, Rochester, Albany, Buffalo, and Niagara Falls

Old 08-19-2020, 07:22 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Virginia...

1. Richmond
2. Roanoke
3. Danville
4. Stafford
5. Blacksburg
6. Virginia Beach
7. Norfolk
8. Chesapeake
9. Newport News
10. Petersburg
11. South Boston
12. Boykins (tiny town I know of because of my research into Nat Turner history)
13. Arlington
14. Alexandria
15. Chantilly
16. Manassas
17. Fairfax
18. Reston
19. Charlottesville
20. Lynchburg
21. Springfield
22. Fredericksburg
23. Mechanicsville
24. South Hill

I could probably think if a few more, but I doubt I'd make it to 50.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:35 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
No.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:45 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
New York

New York City
Buffalo
Rochester
Syracuse
Albany
New Rochelle
Yobkers
Pughkeepsie
Tarrytown
Hempstead
Melville
Happague
Montauk
Rye
Wecthester
White Plains
Bronxville
Troy
Plattsburg
Oswego
Oneonta
Fulton
Schenectady
Kiryas Joel
Binghamton
Niagara
Watertown
Mexico
Phoenix
Rome
Utica
Ithaca
Irondiquit
Geneseo
Dunkirk
Sleepy Hollow
Newburgh
Catskill
Cicero

Its getting Shaky after this...

Old 08-19-2020, 07:49 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Seems like a bit of an extreme premise. I can see a thread for 10-20 cities, but I don’t think most people can name fifty cities in their own state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.