Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 04:01 AM

955 posts, read 610,191 times

Advertisements

According to the Associated Press style guide, some American cities are considered well-known enough they don’t need a state abbreviation. This makes sense, since most people know where they’re located. Here’s the full list of U.S. cities that fall under this criteria, according to the AP.

Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Honolulu
Houston
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
New Orleans
New York
Oklahoma City
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Washington

Are there any cities you think should be added to the above list? Have Austin, Charlotte, etc. become well-known enough that they should be added?

Any on the list you feel are not well-known enough and may require the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 04:20 AM

1,037 posts, read 434,891 times
There is a Philadelphia, Mississippi also, so that is not unique.

Baton Rouge can be added to your list.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:48 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Albuquerque

Old 09-22-2020, 05:55 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
People still think for whatever reason Raleigh is in Va a lot. I don't know why. But it's a thing

Old 09-22-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
People still think for whatever reason Raleigh is in Va a lot. I don't know why. But it's a thing
Sir Walter Raleigh from England landed in Virginia to explore.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:15 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
I'd add Boise, Providence, Orlando, Tucson, Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, Omaha, Nashville, & Memphis

Also some tourist towns like Key West, Palm Springs, Aspen, & Vail.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:19 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
There is a Philadelphia, Mississippi also, so that is not unique.

Baton Rouge can be added to your list.

Yeah, but Philadelphia, Mississippi is named for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, so I don't think thats a good example of somewhere sharing the same name.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
Sir Walter Raleigh from England landed in Virginia to explore.
Though he was very instrumental in the settling of Virginia by the British, did you know that Sir Walter Raleigh never actually visited North America? I mean, I didn't realize that for a long time, nor did I realize that Sir Walter Raleigh was eventually executed in merry olde England.

Interesting person. I spent much of my childhood in Virginia and North Carolina, near the coast in both states, and I learned a lot about Raleigh, but I somehow missed the part about his execution! I was really surprised to learn about that when I visited the Tower of London a few years ago.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Though he was very instrumental in the settling of Virginia by the British, did you know that Sir Walter Raleigh never actually visited North America? I mean, I didn't realize that for a long time, nor did I realize that Sir Walter Raleigh was eventually executed in merry olde England.

Interesting person. I spent much of my childhood in Virginia and North Carolina, near the coast in both states, and I learned a lot about Raleigh, but I somehow missed the part about his execution! I was really surprised to learn about that when I visited the Tower of London a few years ago.
I just looked up some facts. It seems he landed on Roanoke Island, part of Virginia, but now part of NC.

You have a historical name too.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'd add Boise, Providence, Orlando, Tucson, Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, Omaha, Nashville, & Memphis

Also some tourist towns like Key West, Palm Springs, Aspen, & Vail.

I would agree with these. Major cities or smaller places with notoriety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.