Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 07:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
That's pretty sad and ignorant, really.

Why??

Delaware and Rhode Island is meaningless to anybody west of those hills in the eastern US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 06:23 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Why??

Delaware and Rhode Island is meaningless to anybody west of those hills in the eastern US.
Speak for yourself. Regardless of what region of the country you're from to ask if there's a city in those states (or any state for that matter) is naive at best. Every state has a city let alone two of the original states in this country.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 AM

120 posts, read 107,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Why??

Not at all. When I was growing up in California, Newport and Providence were certainly well-known, and Delaware was on people's radar as a center for incorporations, as well as its status as the first state. I know I was aware of Dover and Wilmington, even if I knew next to nothing about them.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:21 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
I think Charleston automatically means South Carolina unless someone specifies West Virginia. I used to live near Charleston WV and nobody outside of West Virginia and the immediately neighboring parts of other states assumes WV even though its the state capital.

You say Charleston to someone in Columbus or Pittsburgh and they immediately think South Carolina.

Charleston (SC) has a well known enough brand that SC isn't necessary. Just like its Portland, Maine that needs the state name, simply Portland means Oregon.

As for other tourist areas, Atlantic City interesting enough doesn't need New Jersey at the end, though Biloxi has long supplanted it as the second largest gambling area in the nation, but many people outside the South haven't heard of it.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:48 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
Not at all. When I was growing up in California, Newport and Providence were certainly well-known, and Delaware was on people's radar as a center for incorporations, as well as its status as the first state. I know I was aware of Dover and Wilmington, even if I knew next to nothing about them.
Huh? I grew up in California, and while Delaware and Rhode Island were probably better known than many states, it was because they were the first and smallest, respectively. Also for being part of the thirteen original colonies.

Why would Newport be well known amongst those growing up in California? What was it about Wilmington that made you aware of it, but knew nothing about it? Some may remember Dover and Providence being capitals, but I doubt it’s very many? Delaware was on people’s radar as a center for incorporating????

Old 09-27-2020, 02:12 PM

6,788 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Every teenager dreams of registering a corporation in Delaware.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:23 PM

120 posts, read 107,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Why would Newport be well known amongst those growing up in California? What was it about Wilmington that made you aware of it, but knew nothing about it? Some may remember Dover and Providence being capitals, but I doubt it’s very many? Delaware was on people’s radar as a center for incorporating????
Newport: Gilded Age mansions, and of course the folk and jazz festivals. Wilmington: probably newspaper datelines, presumably in business sections. Again, I was aware of it really only as a city in Delaware. Providence I obviously knew as a state capital, but also through U.S. history courses as the seat of Roger Williams' breakaway colony. All pretty elementary stuff, or at least I would have thought so.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:52 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
After 40+ years associated with the city, I've never heard of anyone confusing Raleigh as being in Virginia.
In fact, NC cities are more likely to be confused with South Carolina; this is especially true for Charlotte. It also gets confused with Charlottesville, and the two Charlestons.

My additional list would include a lot of places in Florida including Miami Beach, Key West, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and maybe even Tampa. I'd also include Memphis, Nashville, and Kansas City. There's also probably some small resort type places like Aspen & Napa that don't need a state either as their brands are strong enough on their own.
I've never heard this either, it should be common knowledge that Raleigh is the capital of North Carolina. Key word being 'should', but I guess I'm not surprised to learn otherwise.

This is a small town, but North, South Carolina (birthplace of Eartha Kitt) has caused many a brains to be fried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIAGTTPuLw

I get it's for comedic purposes, but how hard is it to understand that a town in South Carolina is called 'North'? Hard I guess.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Myrtle Beach, Savannah, Hilton Head, Orlando, Tampa, Daytona Beach, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Knoxville, Chattanooga

Last edited by sonofaque86; 10-03-2020 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-04-2020, 11:27 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
People still think for whatever reason Raleigh is in Va a lot. I don't know why. But it's a thing
People mix up Raleigh and Richmond because they're both state capitals in the eastern halves of their respective states that border each-other and both start with the letter R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.