Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Like I said unless you are from the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic or are into shopping, most might not know it's in PA, the 'burgh was basically the Midwest or another planet to us that grew up in Eastern PA, just joking!
King of Prussia has a population of about 20,000 people. I doubt that anyone outside of eastern Pennsylvania has heard of it, strange name or not. Ever heard of these places? https://bestlifeonline.com/unusual-t...h.yahoo.com%2F

Thanks for adding the J/K about Pittsburgh. I don't know why everyone wants to make it (and sometimes all of Pennsylvania) the midwest. I've lived in the midwest and there is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
What about Springfield?
Which one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield
Springfield, Alabama, unincorporated community
Springfield, Arkansas
Springfield, California
Springfield, Colorado
Springfield, Florida, a city in Bay County
Springfield (Jacksonville), Florida, a neighborhood
Springfield, Georgia
Springfield, Idaho
Springfield, Illinois, the state capital of Illinois
***Springfield metropolitan area, Illinois
Springfield, LaPorte County, Indiana
Springfield, Posey County, Indiana
Springfield, Kentucky
Springfield, Louisiana
Springfield, Maine
Springfield, Massachusetts, the first Springfield settled in America
***Springfield metropolitan area, Massachusetts, the most populous Metropolitan Springfield Area
Springfield, Michigan, a city in Calhoun County
Springfield Township, Oakland County, Michigan
Springfield, Minnesota, in Brown County
Springfield, Missouri, the most populous city named Springfield in the United States
***Springfield metropolitan area, Missouri
Springfield, Nebraska
Springfield, New Hampshire
Springfield Township, Burlington County, New Jersey (referred to as "Springfield")
Springfield Township, Union County, New Jersey (referred to as "Springfield")
Springfield/Belmont, Newark, New Jersey, a neighborhood of Newark
Springfield, New York
Springfield, Ohio
Springfield, Oregon
Springfield Township, Pennsylvania (disambiguation)
Springfield, South Carolina
Springfield, South Dakota
Springfield, Tennessee
Springfield, Texas, Jim Wells County
Springfield, former town and county seat of Limestone County, Texas, now part of Fort Parker State Park
Springfield, Vermont
***Springfield (CDP), Vermont
Springfield, Virginia
Springfield, Albemarle County, Virginia
Springfield (Coatesville, Virginia), a historic home
Springfield, Page County, Virginia
Springfield, Westmoreland County, Virginia
Springfield, West Virginia
Springfield, Dane County, Wisconsin, a town
***Springfield Corners, Wisconsin, an unincorporated community
Springfield, Jackson County, Wisconsin, a town
Springfield, Marquette County, Wisconsin, a town
Springfield, St. Croix County, Wisconsin, a town
Springfield, Walworth County, Wisconsin, an unincorporated community
Springfield, U.S. Virgin Islands

And those are just the American cities!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:03 PM

486 posts, read 601,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I've actually had someone ask me which Pittsburgh when I said I was from Pittsburgh before.
Well there is a Pittsburg, KS and Pittsburg, CA.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not only have I heard of most of them, sad part is, I've actually been to most of them, I get around and have no life!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Washington should always be called Washington, D.C. or Washington State.

When statehood came up for the state in the extreme northwest corner of the United States, the preferred name was Columbia.

However, during the 19th century the city of Washington (the one on the east coast) was called the District of Columbia and lots of easterners objected to the state name on the grounds that it would be confused with the District of Columbia.

So the state was named Washington....and those d*** easterners promptly started referring to the District of Columbia as WASHINGTON!!!

BTW....in the 1980's there was an informal poll on what to name the new state of eastern Washington, north Idaho, western Montana, southeast BC, southwest Alberta, and northeast Oregon. Basically, the trading area for the city of Spokane.

The chosen name......Columbia.

I think lots of us out west would prefer to have the state behind EVERY cities name, particularly back east. Those tiny states back east that are smaller than National Forests out west are just a jumble of tiny states. Baltimore, Cinncinati, Charlotte, Philiadelphia, and does anybody know where and what states they are found???

Is there even a city in Delaware or Rhode Island???

And where is Rhode Island?? Is it on the Tongass National Forest?? Can't be...otherwise I would have heard of it.

Unique names are relative common out west. There is ONLY ONE Wenatchee, Yakima, Okanogan, Elko, Boise, Missoula, Kallispell, Coeur d'Alene, yet we always put the state name behind the city as a courtesy to folks back east.

Didn't help when I lived in Coeur d'Alene, everybody back east thought we were in Iowa or that vicinity!!!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I agree 100%... I've seen grown adults think Philly was it's own state.
Yeah, for whatever reason a lot of people seem to think Philly is a state lol.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:06 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It sounds like the rule is if you have a major league sports franchise. OK Green Bay is missing, but otherwise, the one unifying factor is that all of these cities have professional sports.
I think it has more to do with their size. These are all metro areas >1M people. (That's why no Green Bay.)

Old 09-23-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When statehood came up for the state in the extreme northwest corner of the United States, the preferred name was Columbia.

However, during the 19th century the city of Washington (the one on the east coast) was called the District of Columbia and lots of easterners objected to the state name on the grounds that it would be confused with the District of Columbia.

So the state was named Washington....and those d*** easterners promptly started referring to the District of Columbia as WASHINGTON!!!

BTW....in the 1980's there was an informal poll on what to name the new state of eastern Washington, north Idaho, western Montana, southeast BC, southwest Alberta, and northeast Oregon. Basically, the trading area for the city of Spokane.

The chosen name......Columbia.

I think lots of us out west would prefer to have the state behind EVERY cities name, particularly back east. Those tiny states back east that are smaller than National Forests out west are just a jumble of tiny states. Baltimore, Cinncinati, Charlotte, Philiadelphia, and does anybody know where and what states they are found???

Is there even a city in Delaware or Rhode Island???

And where is Rhode Island?? Is it on the Tongass National Forest?? Can't be...otherwise I would have heard of it.

Unique names are relative common out west. There is ONLY ONE Wenatchee, Yakima, Okanogan, Elko, Boise, Missoula, Kallispell, Coeur d'Alene, yet we always put the state name behind the city as a courtesy to folks back east.

Didn't help when I lived in Coeur d'Alene, everybody back east thought we were in Iowa or that vicinity!!!
Yes, there's Wilmington (Delaware) plus several others (Newark, Dover [The capital, doncha know? Several people on here have said we should know Hartford without Connecticut because it's the capital. Same for Dover.] Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Lewes). RI has Providence which is its capital.

Old 09-24-2020, 04:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Well there is a Pittsburg, KS and Pittsburg, CA.
There's a bunch of cities with the name Pittsburg, like you mentioned one in Kansas and California, but there are also ones in Texas, Florida, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma and countless other unincorporated Pittsburgs around the US, but there is only one Pittsburgh and the 'h', and that one is in Pennsylvania!

I find it very common for people to spell the city in Pennsylvania without the 'h' and I always end up correcting them.

From 1891 to 1911, the city's name in Pennsylvania was federally recognized as "Pittsburg", though use of the final 'h' was retained during this period by the city government and other local organizations. After a public campaign, the federal decision to drop the 'h' was reversed.

Funny side story, back during Superbowl XXX when the Steelers faced the Cowboys in Tempe, Arizona, the mayors of Pittsburg, TX and Dallas, PA (near where I grew up in Northeastern, PA) made some sort of weird bet and other decree for that day.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:05 AM

309 posts, read 307,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
New York is 4th largest in population, not second. How would you know what Colorado people know?
Do 3rd or 4th Graders in Colorado not have to learn the 50 state capitals...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.