Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Do 3rd or 4th Graders in Colorado not have to learn the 50 state capitals...?
Well, sure, but how much of that does one remember? There have been people on here asking if Delaware and Rhode Island even have cities, stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 12:29 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, sure, but how much of that does one remember? There have been people on here asking if Delaware and Rhode Island even have cities, stuff like that.
Perhaps Quahog, Rhode Island is more famous than Providence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9kf6YRRd4

Old 09-24-2020, 01:08 PM

309 posts, read 307,955 times
Quote:
People learn multiplication and division from around the same time. If you can memorize 90-144 multiplication figures, you can remember the 50 state capitals you learned at the same time.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:13 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Quote:
That's pretty sad and ignorant, really.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:26 PM

120 posts, read 107,502 times
Quote:
People learn multiplication and division from around the same time. If you can memorize 90-144 multiplication figures, you can remember the 50 state capitals you learned at the same time.
Agreed - if you ask me to name the capital of each state, I'm probably not going to get 50/50, but I will certainly be familiar with each of those cities, as would any reasonably well-travelled or minimally well-read American (and more than a few non-Americans).

Quote:
There have been people on here asking if Delaware and Rhode Island even have cities, stuff like that.
If they're Americans and that's the case, I don't know how they landed in this forum, but I doubt they're reading anything off the AP wire to begin with. Or reading at all, for that matter.

Last edited by caravan70; 09-24-2020 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Typo.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:49 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
Agreed - if you ask me to name the capital of each state, I'm probably not going to get 50/50, but I will certainly be familiar with each of those cities, as would any reasonably well-travelled or minimally well-read American (and more than a few non-Americans).

There are a few state capitals that are really not very remarkable or memorable otherwise to people who do not live in the state itself. They're more trivia answers than cities of note.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:51 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
I totally disagree, those are two completely different things. First I recall learning my multiplication tables in 2nd or 3rd grade, and states/capitals were in the 5th.

But regardless of that, you learn how math works, and not just memorizing numbers, or names in the case of cities. You may forget what two numbers come out to, but you’ll be able to figure it out. Good luck doing that with a name?

You continue to use math, but will never really need to recall the capitals. Sadly I can’t remember multiple state capitals, and I’m into this stuff. The average person who doesn’t care about geography isn’t going to remember many of them.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There are a few state capitals that are really not very remarkable or memorable otherwise to people who do not live in the state itself. They're more trivia answers than cities of note.
Exactly! And saying "Dover, Delaware" or "Springfield, Illinois" helps the reader place the city. I don't understand what the big issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I totally disagree, those are two completely different things. First I recall learning my multiplication tables in 2nd or 3rd grade, and states/capitals were in the 5th.

But regardless of that, you learn how math works, and not just memorizing numbers, or names in the case of cities. You may forget what two numbers come out to, but you’ll be able to figure it out. Good luck doing that with a name?

You continue to use math, but will never really need to recall the capitals. Sadly I can’t remember multiple state capitals, and I’m into this stuff. The average person who doesn’t care about geography isn’t going to remember many of them.
ITA!

Old 09-24-2020, 03:45 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
......Washington.........

At least in the western half of the country, you would have to add the D.C. after Washington or folks will think you are talking about Washington state.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 09-24-2020 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 04:00 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
......."Another night of protesters clashing with law enforcement in Portland", yeah we already know which Portland they're talking about, no state needing to be mentioned.

Kind of a shame. A beautiful city and the only reason people in the East know it is there because it is so well known as a place of destructive and frequent riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.