Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:24 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's funny, having grown up in Pennsylvania, when I heard Washington, while living there, I knew 95%+ of the time they were referring to DC, and even I, myself, would just use Washington to refer to DC.

Fast forward and I end up living in Arizona twice, for a total of 7 years, and when I heard Washington, while living there, I knew 95%+ of the time they referring to the state.

It's definitely an East Coast/West Coast thing going on there!

Living right outside D.C. I never say "Washington" to refer to the city, I always say "D.C." or maybe sometimes "the city".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 10:28 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Living right outside D.C. I never say "Washington" to refer to the city, I always say "D.C." or maybe sometimes "the city".
I'm sure there's a ton of people, like yourself, that use DC instead of Washington or Washington DC, it's a lot quicker to say!

Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I agree 100%... I've seen grown adults think Philly was it's own state.
Philly Chicago and Boston are tops for this! I don't know why.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:32 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
There is a Philadelphia, Mississippi also, so that is not unique.

Baton Rouge can be added to your list.
Whenever you hear "Philadelphia", practically nobody thinks of some podunk town in Mississippi over the major city. This list isn't of places that have completely unique names.

Its only note is being the site of the brutal murders of three Civil Rights activists in 1964.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 AM

5,489 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Well obviously they're usually more known for their school name as that's why they're college towns. That factor alone does not make them any well less known without the state abbreviation to the average person IMO. Tuscaloosa and Tallahassee are pretty distinct and well known without any state abbreviation regardless of being huge college towns. Same for Waco.
I don't think Tuscaloosa is all that well-known (relative to even the most well-known college towns, let alone more major cities). Would like to see a 'geographic literacy' study conducted to see how well Americans would fare in correctly identifying the state to which Tuscaloosa (or any city of any significance) belongs. Then the AP could base their practices off the findings--any city which was 'correctly associated with its state' at a rate of at least X% could get the standalone treatment

Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
When people say just Charleston, its automatically assumed to be South Carolina.

For Charleston, West Virginia, you have to say the state. Since I've lived near Charleston WV I still say "Charleston, South Carolina" though most people just say Charleston and its assumed to be SC.

I think "Portland" means Oregon and Portland, Maine needs the state behind it.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:14 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Orlando
Tampa
Nashville
Memphis
Charlotte
Palm Beach
Fort Lauderdale

Old 09-22-2020, 12:18 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

I think "Portland" means Oregon and Portland, Maine needs the state behind it.
Agreed, in terms of national media and anywhere outside the New England, Portland alone is usually always assumed as Oregon if no state is mentioned. I always mention Maine behind it if that's the Portland being discussed.

"Another night of protesters clashing with law enforcement in Portland", yeah we already know which Portland they're talking about, no state needing to be mentioned.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:38 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I don't think Tuscaloosa is all that well-known (relative to even the most well-known college towns, let alone more major cities). Would like to see a 'geographic literacy' study conducted to see how well Americans would fare in correctly identifying the state to which Tuscaloosa (or any city of any significance) belongs. Then the AP could base their practices off the findings--any city which was 'correctly associated with its state' at a rate of at least X% could get the standalone treatment
Maybe it's because I'm into college football but I think even a casual sports watcher would know that is the home to the University of Alabama mostly due to their football team's dominance for the last decade plus.

And yes a geographic literacy test isn't a bad idea and I have no doubt that most Americans would fail it.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:44 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah the majority of Americans have never heard of this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.