Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 07:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Canton, Akron, and Cleveland all just being nothing but complete shartholes. They're not perfect but all three do have nice areas. I liked Cleveland's Waterloo Arts District.
I really do love Cleveland, Akron, Canton and I'll include Warren and Youngstown too. There is so much to do and you don't have to be rich to enjoy it.

I live near Waterloo and this whole area is probably the best kept secret in the city, if not the state. I feel that way about northeast Ohio in general. Generally, nobody has any idea what they're talking about when anything in Ohio or Cleveland is mentioned. In a way I understand how this happens, you see some of the bad areas either online or you happen to drive through those areas the one time you're here. But to view the whole area as those several depressed east side neighborhoods, misses a huge amount of greatness in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 07:36 AM

965 posts, read 723,785 times
Exaggerated for the last three places that I've lived:

New Jersey:
Picking NJ rather than NYC since there are more misconceptions. First, most of it does not look like the I-95 corridor from Linden to Secaucus. While that is obviously heavily industrial, go 5 miles inland and it's a different world full of really nice, well-manicured towns. Second, the Jersey Shore is 75-80% really nice, and nothing at all like the show. There are probably 4-5 towns, out of like 50, that house all of the debauchery captured on TV. The rest are all relatively low-key, laid back beach towns.

Dallas
Lately, what has been most exaggerated was how cheap it was. And while that may technically be true relative to the expensive coastal cities, it is not exactly cheap, especially if you want to live in any of the prime areas within the city of Dallas or top suburbs. It's also exaggerated how conservative it is. Now, I have no doubt that there are areas where that is true (I mean, everyone who's driven there has seen the billboards), but as a large F500-type city that attracts people from all over, there is a large mix of people, particularly within the city limits.

Massachusetts
This one is easy. The popular film image is either some version of a Southie or North Shore tough guy with an accent, or a pretentious academic type is extremely out of step with my experience living in the western suburbs. It was fairly normal suburban, very few accents (and the ones that did exist were milder than TV). Clearly the stereotype is founded in some truth in certain areas, but the reality for many people living in the area is much different.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:10 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Which one in Freeport?...there used to be a real good one at the corner of Atlantic Ave and Bayview before changing ownership a few years ago (not sure if still there)....Montana used to be great when it first opened up in the late 80’s, still pretty good but not my favorite.

NYC has some good spots....Lucali is consistently good as is Di Fara and Roberta’s—all in Brooklyn. Joe’s in the Village is good.
Atlantic Ave Pizza is the place in Freeport

Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Ok..thx

Gino’s in Long Beach can be very good when fresh and hot out of the oven.

Grimaldi’s in Garden City also good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Atlantic Ave Pizza is the place in Freeport

Old 05-13-2021, 09:49 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Exaggerated for the last three places that I've lived:

New Jersey:
Picking NJ rather than NYC since there are more misconceptions. First, most of it does not look like the I-95 corridor from Linden to Secaucus. While that is obviously heavily industrial, go 5 miles inland and it's a different world full of really nice, well-manicured towns. Second, the Jersey Shore is 75-80% really nice, and nothing at all like the show. There are probably 4-5 towns, out of like 50, that house all of the debauchery captured on TV. The rest are all relatively low-key, laid back beach towns.

Dallas
Lately, what has been most exaggerated was how cheap it was. And while that may technically be true relative to the expensive coastal cities, it is not exactly cheap, especially if you want to live in any of the prime areas within the city of Dallas or top suburbs. It's also exaggerated how conservative it is. Now, I have no doubt that there are areas where that is true (I mean, everyone who's driven there has seen the billboards), but as a large F500-type city that attracts people from all over, there is a large mix of people, particularly within the city limits.

Massachusetts
This one is easy. The popular film image is either some version of a Southie or North Shore tough guy with an accent, or a pretentious academic type is extremely out of step with my experience living in the western suburbs. It was fairly normal suburban, very few accents (and the ones that did exist were milder than TV). Clearly the stereotype is founded in some truth in certain areas, but the reality for many people living in the area is much different.
Agreed. the only 'rough(er)' shore towns are like Wildwood, Atlantic City, Seaside Heights and Keansburg.

My favorites are Long Branch, Pt. Pleasant and Seaside.. although I get spray tans and lift weights at crossfit studio's on the beach. Not sure if I am the right person to talk to when trying to downplay NJ stereotypes...

Also MA stereotypes are spot on, on not being accurate.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:49 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
"NJ is ugly"

Okay. Tell me that again, person from your town with stucco tract housing and where the topography does not leave a 5 foot window.
I used to live near the DE Water Gap in the Appalachian foothills of NJ. I've since lived in many other places, and none had the history and natural beauty of that area. Certainly not the parking lot stereotype.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:31 AM

136 posts, read 116,820 times
Quote:
"NJ is ugly"

Okay. Tell me that again, person from your town with stucco tract housing and where the topography does not leave a 5 foot window.
I think many people are exposed to NJ in one of two ways: The Turnpike or Newark airport on the way into NYC. Given that, I can understand the exaggerated impression (especially the latter). But it is a generally scenic place outside of the Newark area and routes into NYC.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:12 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
I think many people are exposed to NJ in one of two ways: The Turnpike or Newark airport on the way into NYC. Given that, I can understand the exaggerated impression (especially the latter). But it is a generally scenic place outside of the Newark area and routes into NYC.
Yeah its not as scenic as say, MA NY PA RI or like VA.. but, people really make it sound like a factory wasteland lol. But agree with you.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:00 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Yeah its not as scenic as say, MA NY PA RI or like VA.. but, people really make it sound like a factory wasteland lol. But agree with you.
Actually, Morris County is every bit as scenic as any of those States. It's gorgeous up there.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:28 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
That it's warm and sunny all year long, and that life is all living under a palm tree in paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.