Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times

Advertisements

Birmingham, Alabama?

That it's something out of Mississippi Burning or something. I'm 58. Those images of fire hoses being turned on Civil Rights protesters? That took place when I was one year old. I'm not claiming that it's now the Elysian Fields or anything, but the city has made huge leaps forward for the better.

It's not flat, which seems to surprise many first-time visitors. It's hilly and green as it sits at the tail end of the Appalachians.

It's not a bunch of bbq restaurants, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 01:36 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
“Atlanta, Black Mecca.”

Of course, there are many blacks residing in Metro Atlanta. But, much of the area looks and feels very racially diverse.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:44 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
“Atlanta, Black Mecca.”

Of course, there are many blacks residing in Metro Atlanta. But, much of the area looks and feels very racially diverse.
I agree. Much of the northern arc of the city is white/asian/black

Old 05-18-2021, 03:50 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I've been in Portland for about a month now and I find that Portland's problems (violent protests, homeless people everywhere, boarded up businesses) are way overblown. The people that say it's a filthy war zone seem to take their impressions of the 1 square mile area that is downtown and extrapolate that to the entire 133 square mile land area that makes up the city. A large part of the city is fairly clean and well kept and full of vibrant walkable streets.
That's good to hear.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:21 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I really do love Cleveland, Akron, Canton and I'll include Warren and Youngstown too. There is so much to do and you don't have to be rich to enjoy it.

I live near Waterloo and this whole area is probably the best kept secret in the city, if not the state. I feel that way about northeast Ohio in general. Generally, nobody has any idea what they're talking about when anything in Ohio or Cleveland is mentioned. In a way I understand how this happens, you see some of the bad areas either online or you happen to drive through those areas the one time you're here. But to view the whole area as those several depressed east side neighborhoods, misses a huge amount of greatness in the area.
This was roughly my experience, albeit on one of several trips to Cleveland...but the only one when my family (I was maybe 12 at the time) decided to get creative with our AAA Triptik and take a non-interstate route from the rock 'n' roll HOF to Shaker Heights, where we were staying. I'm not sure I knew the term 'urban blight' at the time, but even by the standards known to Buffalo, the blight on the entirety of the drive was astounding. (I'd have to Google map the length of that drive, but...it wasn't short). Then suddenly you go over a bridge, cross the city line, and you're in the entirely different world of Shaker Heights. I found the whole experience very unsettling, although, once again, it's not all that much different from some Buffalo-area city ghetto/rich suburb juxtapositions. Just maybe slightly more stark

Old 05-18-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
"NJ is ugly"

Okay. Tell me that again, person from your town with stucco tract housing and where the topography does not leave a 5 foot window.
Parts of US Route 1 in NJ are incredibly ugly. But I've come to the conclusion that our entire country doesn't really know how to create aesthetically pleasing built environments. Or, rather, we forgot what we once knew.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Birmingham, Alabama?

That it's something out of Mississippi Burning or something. I'm 58. Those images of fire hoses being turned on Civil Rights protesters? That took place when I was one year old. I'm not claiming that it's now the Elysian Fields or anything, but the city has made huge leaps forward for the better.

It's not flat, which seems to surprise many first-time visitors. It's hilly and green as it sits at the tail end of the Appalachians.

It's not a bunch of bbq restaurants, either.
That would surprise me, too. I'm an ignorant Northerner when it comes to Alabama. Friend of mine recently spent a couple months in Birmingham and reported generally positive things, but I didn't get to hear about its hilliness

Old 05-19-2021, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
That would surprise me, too. I'm an ignorant Northerner when it comes to Alabama. Friend of mine recently spent a couple months in Birmingham and reported generally positive things, but I didn't get to hear about its hilliness
And the northern part of the state is super hilly! Alabama is very overlooked - which is probably OK for Alabamans.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:35 AM

82 posts, read 39,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Any list like this that doesn't have New York as its #1 can and should be completely disregarded.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:49 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
Any list like this that doesn't have New York as its #1 can and should be completely disregarded.
NYC has the quantity, but quality?
-Fleet age is of the oldest in the country
-Lowest OTP of any Train system in the country
-Highest cancellation rates of any subway system
-In extreme debt, mostly from pensions, but the system has the worst red ink and lowest profit margins.
-Recently had to secure a 40% cut in service, compared to 30% in Chicago, 25% in Boston and 20% in DC.
-You cant even get within walking distance of the airport on the MTA? The skytrain is an udder joke

DC's subways have superior quality. Seattle does too.

Quality =///= Quantity

NYC having a great subway transit system, is very exaggerated. Maybe the OCmmuter Systems and PATH are good.. but nah for the MTA. That is overhyped .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.