Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 06:49 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

"NJ is ugly"

Okay. Tell me that again, person from your town with stucco tract housing and where the topography does not leave a 5 foot window.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 05-12-2021 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 06:50 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
It can be near the oil refineries, but that is a tiny sliver of what is called The Garden State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
"NJ is ugly"

Okay. Tell me that again, person from a town with stucco tract housing and where the topography does not leave a 5 foot window.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:21 AM

1,235 posts, read 942,387 times
Canton, Akron, and Cleveland all just being nothing but complete shartholes. They're not perfect but all three do have nice areas. I liked Cleveland's Waterloo Arts District.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:25 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Canton, Akron, and Cleveland all just being nothing but complete shartholes. They're not perfect but all three do have nice areas. I liked Cleveland's Waterloo Arts District.
Cleveland, and especially the surrounding areas, is a lot nicer than people give it credit for.
Not sure I'd live there, but I generally do like northeast Ohio.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
"NYC pizza is sooo good"

actually it's ok but the best pizza in my opinion is a lil whole in the wall pizza joint in Freeport, Long Island ... & if you know anything about Freeport, it's a largely Hispanic town ... they doing something right with the pizza though!

Old 05-12-2021, 02:05 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
"NYC pizza is sooo good"

actually it's ok but the best pizza in my opinion is a lil whole in the wall pizza joint in Freeport, Long Island ... & if you know anything about Freeport, it's a largely Hispanic town ... they doing something right with the pizza though!

agreed. best pizza is ct imho. LI is good too.. up there with NJ MA NYS. I think NYC pizza is best value, but not THE best

Old 05-12-2021, 03:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
"NYC pizza is sooo good"

NYC pizza is the most overrated food item in culinary history. To be honest, NYC may be below most of the cities that I've had pizza including Nova, Richmond, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh .....

Old 05-12-2021, 04:32 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Which one in Freeport?...there used to be a real good one at the corner of Atlantic Ave and Bayview before changing ownership a few years ago (not sure if still there)....Montana used to be great when it first opened up in the late 80’s, still pretty good but not my favorite.

NYC has some good spots....Lucali is consistently good as is Di Fara and Roberta’s—all in Brooklyn. Joe’s in the Village is good.

Quote:
"NYC pizza is sooo good"

Old 05-12-2021, 04:48 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I’ve only seen this on here but people keep saying the mountains are 2 hours from Denver. It only really takes 20-25 to get to them from Downtown and less for half the city. Don’t know where that came from.
This one one of my favorites. People who act like a) you can't see the mountains from Denver and b) it's a two-day journey across no-man's land in a covered wagon to get to them.

The hogback just to the west of C-470 and I-70 ranges from 7000-7900' in elevation. Mount Morrison, right behind Red Rocks, is 7881'. It's 25 mins from downtown to the trailhead. Hike it sometime. It's 1.75 miles each way and just under 2000' of vertical gain. Just to the west of there are mountains like Bergen Peak (9745', 35 min drive from downtown) and Chief Mountain (11,709', 50 mins from downtown). Yeah you have to travel further to get to the 13ers and 14ers of the Front Range, but it's honestly not as much of damn trek to quality hiking and camping as some people make it out to be.

Denver's not nearly as close as SLC is, but let's stop pretending it's hours and hours away.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:23 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Houston:

1) Oil Refineries - I've heard a few comments from people who never been to Houston that think Oil Refineries are all over the metro. That you just see these everyday in the metro. Unless you live near the ship channel or I-10 E going towards Louisiana seeing Oil Refineries is not a common site. For majority of Houstonians you'll see O&G corporate buildings more than anything.

2) Nobody walks- Make no mistake, Houston is a live walkable vibrant city especially in the likes of America's legacy cities. It's very suburban in built. But some people act like Houstonians just stay indoors because a lack of walkable neighborhoods and humidity. People do go out. You do see people OUTSIDE. The city is sociable. It's just not flooded with neighborhoods with heavy feet traffic.

3) Houston's ugly- Yes Houston is not the most attractive metro. It definitely looks ugly driving down certain interstates from both Airports. However there's a handful of nice looking neighborhoods in the loop and in the burbs. I get it doesn't have the same appeal as other cities in this country but sometimes I feel like Houston's uglyness is exaggerated.

4) Lacks culture- Houston has culture and it's very diverse culture. If only Houston knew how to market their cultural institutions better people would appreciate it more.

5) Racist Republican Conservative Bigots- Houston has it's fair share of these types no different than other cities in America. As long as I've lived here though I've never experienced outright racism but one time(non-white person btw). Subtle incidents more than anything but never outright. Funny thing is I've come across more racist incidents in 2 liberal havens more than I ever have living 10 plus years in Houston. Oh and those 2 areas were Austin and the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.