Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 09:56 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Hispanics may "identify" as white because of an inferiority complex.

But they are overwhelmingly brown and mestizo.
It's not because of an inferiority complex and they do not consider themselves white in real life.

They tend to view their race as Hispanic, and the census makes you pick both Hispanic + a race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 10:04 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Sure but in reality most Hispanic are visibly Hispanic. In sociology we’d say that’s their “street race”..Moreso in the East and Northeast.

We also have to count MENA as “white” so this is a good compromise
I haven't heard of "street race" but given that it's sociology, I'd expect that it accounts for culture making it more of an ethnic distinction which is my point. I know that it LA, many people that might appear to be hispanic could actually be European/Armenian, middle eastern, North African, or Asian/Filipino.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Hispanics may "identify" as white because of an inferiority complex.

But they are overwhelmingly brown and mestizo.
Or they may identify as white because the categories are somewhat silly and that's what they most identify with given the choices. There are no "brown" or "mestizo" categories.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:09 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I haven't heard of "street race" but given that it's sociology, I'd expect that it accounts for culture making it more of an ethnic distinction which is my point. I know that it LA, many people that might appear to be hispanic could actually be European/Armenian, middle eastern, North African, or Asian/Filipino.
Hispanic is a de facto race IMO since most people use it like one and it generally refers to people who are mestizo or trigueno.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It's not because of an inferiority complex and they do not consider themselves white in real life.

They tend to view their race as Hispanic, and the census makes you pick both Hispanic + a race.
Are you saying that an indigenous person from Guatemala, a black Cuban, and a white Spaniard all see themselves as the same race because they are all Hispanic?

Old 12-19-2020, 10:14 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
I mean in general Hispanics look like a lot of different people... they are part Asian via the Siberian straight, part white, part African.

There are a lot of other mixed race categories that look Hispanic, in Boston- that might be Cape Verdean but we too have a lot of Armenians (Dodakaians, Tufankjians etc). For the most part they look Italian/Sicilian.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:16 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Are you saying that an indigenous person from Guatemala, a black Cuban, and a white Spaniard all see themselves as the same race because they are all Hispanic?
How many white Spaniards do you think are in the US? 1Million? It’s pretty minimal.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Hispanic is a de facto race IMO since most people use it like one and it generally refers to people who are mestizo or trigueno.
I would think that term would be "Latin American", as "Hispanic" intentionally includes people from Spain. I'd argue that they see themselves more as the same ethnicity and not race. It's just that the terms are conflated. Indigenous people on one side of the rio grande may be considered to be Hispanic and a few hundred miles away and they aren't.

Race as a construct is a little silly and lots of people don't really fit in the given categories. That's the ultimate issue.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
How many white Spaniards do you think are in the US? 1Million? It’s pretty minimal.
I don't know how many there are, nor do I assume that they are all white, but the word Hispanic is designed to account for them as opposed to Latin American, which excludes them.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:59 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
1. Thank you OP
2. Where's Austin?
3. Most Hispanics I know don't call themselves white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.