Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 11:42 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
In my experience, Afro-Panamians (like Pop Smoke) tend to identify more with being black while mixed race Puerto Ricans and Dominicans identify primarily with being Latino.
Some clearly mixed raced Puerto Rican’s claim to be black (and Latino) though, which is odd sometimes. Regardless- Puerto Ricans and Dominicans don’t claim white, neither Central Americans.

That’s really a Mexican (and Tejano)/Cuban/Argentina/Chilean thing. If where you lived doesn’t have a lot of those folks it’s unlikely you know any “white” hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 11:45 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Quote:
Most are mestizo or triracial.

Hispanics overwhelmingly identify as Hispanic befoew anything else.
I don't think that we disagree, except that I see that as a shared ethnic identity, while you appear to be saying that all of these different races of people are the same race even while describing them as "triracial".

Old 12-19-2020, 11:52 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,620,882 times
I am surprised that Cincinatti, Louisville, and Pittsburgh are among the 5 whitest metros in the nation. Even more so than Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle and Las Vegas. Although, I didn't see Omaha or Des Moines listed, I would pick them to be the top 2.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Some clearly mixed raced Puerto Rican’s claim to be black (and Latino) though, which is odd sometimes. Regardless- Puerto Ricans and Dominicans don’t claim white, neither Central Americans.

That’s really a Mexican (and Tejano)/Cuban/Argentina/Chilean thing. If where you lived doesn’t have a lot of those folks it’s unlikely you know any “white” hispanics.
Everyone should certainly know about them. Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Alba, Cameron Diaz, Edward James Olmos, Rita Moreno, Oscar de la Hoya, Sofia Vergara, Ricky Martin, etc. Many, if not most, famous Hispanics are obviously overwhelmingly European.

In America we acknowledge four races: black, white, Asian, and people who have Spanish surnames.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Everyone should certainly know about them. Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Alba, Cameron Diaz, Edward James Olmos, Rita Moreno, Oscar de la Hoya, Sofia Vergara, Ricky Martin, etc. Many, if not most, famous Hispanics are obviously overwhelmingly European.

In America we acknowledge four races: black, white, Asian, and people who have Spanish surnames.
You think JLo, Jessica Alba, Sofia Vergara Oscar De ale Hoya lol white?? Nawwwwww

Maybe Ricky Martin. The rest I don’t know who they are.

Jessica Alba has literally played black characters (Honey).

You’re ignoring Rosario Dawson Alfonso Ribiero Merlin Santana Zoe Saldana and a lot of other to draw this concussion lol.

the media is racist they over represent light skin black peoples as well. Heavily. This is a global thing

Old 12-19-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I am surprised that Cincinatti, Louisville, and Pittsburgh are among the 5 whitest metros in the nation. Even more so than Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle and Las Vegas. Although, I didn't see Omaha or Des Moines listed, I would pick them to be the top 2.
I’m not outside of having a small minority of black people- those areas are not known for any diversity whatsoever. I’d expect any area in the western US to be more diverse than most of the Midwest which is probably the Elat diverse area there is. Especially ethnically.

Pittsburgh especially. I like the city but it’s the whitest big city I’ve been to for sure. And the black population though noticeable isn’t all that large , especially not numerically

Old 12-19-2020, 02:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
Quote:

I don't think Mexicans identify as white either unless they have an Anglo parent and are white looking.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:03 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
Quote:
You think JLo, Jessica Alba, Sofia Vergara Oscar De ale Hoya lol white?? Nawwwwww

You’re ignoring Rosario Dawson Alfonso Ribiero Merlin Santana Zoe Saldana and a lot of other to draw this concussion lol.

the media is racist they over represent light skin black peoples as well. Heavily. This is a global thing
Jessica Alba playing a black woman would not fly in 2020 though. In fact it would be seen as quite controversial.

I get what you're saying though, few Latinos identify as white in real life even if they're pretty white looking.

Why would anyone choose to identify as white in this climate if they don't have to? Even 10 years ago I remember it being the same thing.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:14 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,403,950 times
Quote:
That can't actually be true
I went to Austin and I saw tons of North Mexican Mestizo looking Hispanics
Hah, he is referring to the fact that Austin is continuously brought up on here as being particularly white or non-diverse, despite the fact that, as the data in the OP shows, it is among the most diverse cities in the country. (Especially at the ~2 million population level).

Old 12-19-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I think that they would all be seen as just regular white in Spain and the rest of Europe. What made me notice was watching a Netflix show called Money Heist and noticing how the Spanish actors looked pretty much like Hispanic people in the US. Obviously not everyone as there are lots and lots that don't look like that.

And I didn't ignore non-white looking Hispanics, I was responding to a post that I understood to be claiming that they had never seen any. I 100% agree that there are black Hispanics, hence my position that "Hispanic" is not a race.

Jessica Alba took a DNA test and her DNA matched her to 87% European. I think that her mom has 100% white ancestry. She just tans and curls her hair.

Cameron Diaz is an actress probably best known from something about Mary, but lots of stuff. Too much to list. Edward James Olmos was pretty famous 20-25 years ago. He's probably old now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.