Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 07:33 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,988,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Here’s a few books on the topic:

Forgotten Dead: Mob Violence against Mexicans in the United States, 1848-1928 Mob Violence against Mexicans in the United States, 1848-1928

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Lynching of Mexicans in the Texas Borderlands

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Injustice Never Leaves You: Anti-Mexican Violence in Texas Anti-Mexican Violence in Texas

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hollywood is not a good representation of anything, nor is American television for that matter.
Hollywood is a good representation of the values that Americans held. What was acceptable and what was not.

Are you seriously suggesting that I read a book?!? Lol. Did you read them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 07:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,579,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It's an interesting list. Not too many surprises. DC at number one is a surprise.
Not if you live in the urban area/ are familiar with it. You would be very hard pressed to find suburbs that surpass DC's in diversity.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:56 PM

955 posts, read 613,227 times
Quote:
Here’s a few books on the topic:

Forgotten Dead: Mob Violence against Mexicans in the United States, 1848-1928 Mob Violence against Mexicans in the United States, 1848-1928

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Lynching of Mexicans in the Texas Borderlands

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Injustice Never Leaves You: Anti-Mexican Violence in Texas Anti-Mexican Violence in Texas

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hollywood is not a good representation of anything, nor is American television for that matter.
Mexicans are not a monolith. Mexico is a multiethnic nation - the Mexican government's census lists about 20% of people as Indigenous, 25% as Mestizo, 40+% as European or mostly European, 1% as Asian, etc. so let's not act like every Mexican is going to have the same experience or identify in the same way.

Also Mexicans are not the only Hispanic group, so using their experience to extrapolate across the entire population is sloppy and inaccurate.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:48 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,029,766 times
Quote:
Hollywood is a good representation of the values that Americans held. What was acceptable and what was not.

Are you seriously suggesting that I read a book?!? Lol. Did you read them?
Yes, it’s called research.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:52 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,029,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Mexicans are not a monolith. Mexico is a multiethnic nation - the Mexican government's census lists about 20% of people as Indigenous, 25% as Mestizo, 40+% as European or mostly European, 1% as Asian, etc. so let's not act like every Mexican is going to have the same experience or identify in the same way.

Also Mexicans are not the only Hispanic group, so using their experience to extrapolate across the entire population is sloppy and inaccurate.
I was mainly pushing back on this nonsense that Hispanics “want” to be lumped together with Whites.

The “white” experience in America, the “Hispanic” experience, the “Black” experience, and the “Asian” experience are all different. The latter three share more similarities.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:56 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This is a valiant attempt but still a blunt object. Diversity is extremely nuanced and can't be summed up so easily.

For example how about the diversity within each of those four groups? What about immigrants vs. home grown? What about economic diversity? Or even regional diversity, like factoring what states or regions of the US people are from? What about when people moved, i.e. more credit (arguably) to someone who moved recently and is less locally-influenced?

Maybe do this thread's idea as one factor, but add other factors and weigh each.
But I literally said that. That this was meant to be one piece of the puzzle and weighted towards racial diversity and not ethnic diversity.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:55 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
I think that they would all be seen as just regular white in Spain and the rest of Europe. What made me notice was watching a Netflix show called Money Heist and noticing how the Spanish actors looked pretty much like Hispanic people in the US. Obviously not everyone as there are lots and lots that don't look like that.

And I didn't ignore non-white looking Hispanics, I was responding to a post that I understood to be claiming that they had never seen any. I 100% agree that there are black Hispanics, hence my position that "Hispanic" is not a race.

Jessica Alba took a DNA test and her DNA matched her to 87% European. I think that her mom has 100% white ancestry. She just tans and curls her hair.

Cameron Diaz is an actress probably best known from something about Mary, but lots of stuff. Too much to list. Edward James Olmos was pretty famous 20-25 years ago. He's probably old now.
I'm gonna level with you. You might be right but virtually none of the Latino people I've known in Boston or Baltimore look like this except for one who is my boss and recently cam here from Argentina.

In Boston they look pretty black-ish in general or maybe just Amerindian and black...and here in Bmore they're short, and super Amerindian looking and live along with a few Puerto Ricans with heavily mixed features.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:29 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
Depends on how well the minority assimilates into yhe fabric. I lived in a town that was 40% white and 50% black. I lived in another that was 40% white and 50% Hispanic. Huge, huge difference in the sociology. For one, number of minority-owned businesses.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
I think that they would all be seen as just regular white in Spain and the rest of Europe. What made me notice was watching a Netflix show called Money Heist and noticing how the Spanish actors looked pretty much like Hispanic people in the US. Obviously not everyone as there are lots and lots that don't look like that.

And I didn't ignore non-white looking Hispanics, I was responding to a post that I understood to be claiming that they had never seen any. I 100% agree that there are black Hispanics, hence my position that "Hispanic" is not a race.

Jessica Alba took a DNA test and her DNA matched her to 87% European. I think that her mom has 100% white ancestry. She just tans and curls her hair.

Cameron Diaz is an actress probably best known from something about Mary, but lots of stuff. Too much to list. Edward James Olmos was pretty famous 20-25 years ago. He's probably old now.
I have watched a few Spanish shows on netflix as well. Spain is similar to the UK and France in the sense of being a destination for immigrants from their former colonies.

Jessica Alba updated DNA results revealed she is roughly 73% European, 23% Amerindian, and 2% SSA. She is the equivalent of a castiza in colonial caste terms. Her mother was European admixture with a grandfather from Denmark.

I think Cameron Diaz is widely viewed as white. Both sides of her family are all European descent.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:28 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
I suspect people will identify with their racial experience in the United States.

Slavery obviously created mixed races in the Caribbean:

Cuba = Spanish + African
Puerto Rico = Spanish + African
Dominican = Spanish + African

Mexico = Spanish + Native American
Most of Latin America = Spanish + Native American
Argentina = Spanish + European
Brazil = Spanish + African + Native American

I agree that Hispanics in “real life” do not identify as being “white” nor are they treated as “white.” Latinos were /are treated almost as bad as blacks (excluding slavery itself). Don’t confuse a census classification with the real world.
Hispanics were discriminated against for sure, but black people were/are efinitely treated worse. Though of course, a racist white man killed a bunch of people just for being Mexican just one year ago.

That being said, I agree that Hispanics do not consider themselves white and most are not viewed as white.
Someone with 50% or even 25% indigenous ancestry is just not going to look like what is considered white in this country. Plus being white is seen as a bad thing, so why would anyone identify as white if they don't have to?

As for treatment, I think that varies a lot though.
White people do not view Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as black even though a lot of black people do.
As for mestizos, I don't think the average white person has negative feelings towards them, but there are white supremacists like Patrick Crusius who do because they think they're going to make this country permanently left wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.