Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2020, 06:00 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Not every country looks into hair texture is the thing. Here in USA, yes. But it’s not that way everywhere. In DR, he could definitely get called white. Especially in some of the African neighborhoods. In Haiti, all three of these would be called white by almost everyone.
No, they definitely wouldn't. Many lightskin haitians due to admixture white the french or Dominicans. They're my in-laws. I grew up in one of the most Haitian zip codes in the US. And even if they did get called white itd be because they're American and it would be a joke.

Im dark brown like a Lebron or DMX with very black features. I got called "white" once in Senegal because I was walking around with white Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 06:02 PM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No, they definitely wouldn't. Many lightskin haitians due to admixture white the french or Dominicans. They're my in-laws. I grew up in one of the most Haitian zip codes in the US. And even if they did get called white itd be because they're American and it would be a joke.
I know many born haitian personally and I’m told otherwise

Old 12-20-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I know many born haitian personally and I’m told otherwise.

Edit. You edited it after i responded. My response to your second paragraph - have you don’t the same in Haiti? Living in a Haitian zip code isn’t the same as being in Haiti itself

Old 12-20-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I know many born haitian personally and I’m told otherwise
Im married to one. Generally, black people anywhere arent going to actually call you white unless you look like an actual white person.

One might call a very light skin person white in Haiti because it would distinguish them from a bunch of dark-skin people if they're like noticeably bright and the only one.. That doesn't mean they identified or thought of as n actual white person. In many Caribbean countries black leaders have traditionally been very light skin (this has been the case in Haiti in the past) people don't call them white though.

Even in Senegal, i saw a few lightskin local people-no one called them white.

Zach Lavine sure, Steph Curry no. Both of his parents are lightskin black people too-so that adds to it.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I know many born haitian personally and I’m told otherwise.

Edit. You edited it after i responded. My response to your second paragraph - have you don’t the same in Haiti? Living in a Haitian zip code isn’t the same as being in Haiti itself
I don't think I need to live in Haiti to speak on this, for a few reasons. Haitians tell you all the time "Haitians come in different colors and there is no such thing as looking like a Haitian" I don't really agree but Ive heard it plenty from people recently arrived from Haiti as well as 3rd generations people.

So many lightskin Haitians, honestly. Its not DR Congo.

From what I see they view these things like Jamaicans do.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Im married to one. Generally, black people anywhere arent going to actually call you white unless you look like an actual white person.

One might call a very light skin person white in Haiti because it would distinguish them from a bunch of dark-skin people if they're like noticeably bright and the only one.. That doesn't mean they identified or thought of as n actual white person. In many Caribbean countries black leaders have traditionally been very light skin (this has been the case in Haiti in the past) people don't call them white though.

Even in Senegal, i saw a few lightskin local people-no one called them white.

Zach Lavine sure, Steph Curry no. Both of his parents are lightskin black people too-so that adds to it.
This is exactly what I’m talking talking about. I’m not saying that they are going on saying “this man is of white European ancestry”. In day to day conversations, it’s common for a very light skinned mixers person to be called white. I’ve personally lived in areas where light shaded mixed race (both mestizo and mulatto) with black hair get called as far as “Catire” which directly translates to “blonde”. Here in USA, a white parson with light brown hair and blue eyes wouldn’t even be called that. I’m not talking genetics here. And you also have to point out that in many areas, people don’t pay attention to ancestry as much as they do color. As you mention being a way to distinguish is everything in conversations there.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think I need to live in Haiti to speak on this, for a few reasons. Haitians tell you all the time "Haitians come in different colors and there is no such thing as looking like a Haitian" I don't really agree but Ive heard it plenty from people recently arrived from Haiti as well as 3rd generations people.

So many lightskin Haitians, honestly. Its not DR Congo.

From what I see they view these things like Jamaicans do.
Obviously. There has to be a difference between people for there to be a way of distinguishing. Otherwise, there’s nothing to distinguish. The Curry or Booker or Klay shade becomes muuuuuch more of a rarity in Haiti than it does in USA. This is why the distinguishing word is more extreme. And again, it’s not a generic phrase, it’s a conversational phrase. It’s definitely common.

PS, you do have to live somewhere to really understands it

Old 12-21-2020, 06:50 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Here is Régine Chassagne, of the band Arcade Fire. She was born in Montreal to two Haitian parents.

https://www.google.com/search?q=r%C3...A_enCA931CA931

Old 12-21-2020, 09:51 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
So now that tangent is out of the way, what about the last attempt at it? Is it better than the first attempt? What can still be improved?

Old 12-21-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
So now that tangent is out of the way, what about the last attempt at it? Is it better than the first attempt? What can still be improved?
Yea I think the core city need to be weighed more heavily. Especially in some of these “in diverse” northern metros. My opinion, not based in science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.