Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 09:51 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That and Newark has been getting developed as well. So, people from the community should get involved in that as well.

Irvington is interesting in that it hasn’t really been gentrified, as far as I know. So, this type of development could attract or keep people there that want that type of housing.
I didn't mention Newark because I don't think that's a secret anymore. The demography has slowly begun changing in Newark, its quietly slipped down from the most dangerous top 5 every year thing... Irvington on the other hand hasn't gentrified at all. is was there in November. I can see Irvington has high homeownership and lots of lower middle class. I can tell by the proximity to Maplewood, lower homicide totals and fewer apartment blocs. It just seems to have been brutalized by the modern eonmy and doesnt maintain its appearance well. It faded a long time ago and it just had no reason to see any development until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 08:48 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some development in Newark and Irvington NJ: Real Estate Portfolio – Adenah Bayoh
The lady behind it: Adenah Bayoh
This is nice. The Newark area will probably continue to quietly improve. Irvington holds a lot of sentimental value to me but I doubt it will gentrify much until Newark does. I just hope that the black folks in the area stay. I would defintely look to move back to Essex County if I moved back to Jersey.

I remember there was some talk of extending the PATH train to South Ward, Newark and Newark Liberty International Airport, which isn't too far from Irvington and Hillside. I don't know whether that's still in the talks but that would be a boon for that whole area.
EDIT: found this. Irvington is to the west and Hillside is between Newark and Elizabeth to the south.

Last edited by 908Boi; 01-12-2021 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-12-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Irvington and East Orange are some of my favorite places because they give me crazy Roxbury/Dorchester vibes but a little more gritty like ~2008 Boston lol. Its nearly identical archtiecture/density. It's impressive to see Irvington getting new developments but honestly, that whole region is awesome and undervalued. It only makes sense some of the development from Maplewood would reach into Irvington.

Nice to see a local West African getting in on things early.
the cities/townships around Newark have great diversity in them, lots of representation of African Americans, Caribbean Americans, and West Africans (particularly Ghanaians). Lots of West Africans and Haitians in Irvington, and Jamaicans and Guyanese in EO. Lots of Nigerians and Ghanaiasn in West and South Wards in Newark now too. The area also has a huge Brazilian population but very few of them are Black. Then a lot of middle class Black folks of all backgrounds in the Oranges/Montclair/Maplewood.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:40 PM

29-unit affordable apartment building approved on Dorchester Avenue in Fields Corner

Travis Lee's plans for a 29-unit apartment building at 1463-1469 Dorchester Avenue, next to the Fields Corner T stop, in which all the units will be rented as affordable and ownership of which local residents will be able to buy into.

Lee's proposal calls for 21 studios of 400 square feet and 8 one-bedroom apartments of about 450 square feet - under a city pilot program that allows smaller units than normally allowed in an effort to increase the supply of affordable housing. Lee told the board that 25 of the units will be rented to people making no more than 90% of the Boston-area median income and that 4 will be rented to people making no more than 70% of that.

The building will have no parking.

Lee added he is working on a plan in which he would sell off part of the overall ownership of the building, in increments as low as $1,000, to Dorchester residents - which would let local folks buy into the real-estate market without having to buy an entire building

In addition to this proposal, Lee has been active in Dorchester proposing and building other affordable-housing units.

The non-profit Codman Square Community Development Corp. has filed plans with the BPDA for a 23-unit apartment building on New England Avenue at Talbot Avenue and a 19-unit building two blocks away at Talbot Avenue and Spencer Street.

All of the units in the two four-story buildings would be rented to people making no more than 60% of the Boston area median income, according to Codman Square's filings on the two proposals.

The Board of Appeals yesterday approved a developer's plans to replace a small junkyard at 1837-1841 Dorchester Ave. with a four-story building with ten apartments and a small space for a business.

Travis Lee told the board he is working with state and city agencies to secure some financing that would let him market all ten units as affordable, to be rented to people making no more than 80% of the Boston area's median income.

Lee added he is also reducing the cost by keeping the units small - 450 square feet for one studio, 550 square feet for three one-bedroom apartments and 650 square feet for six two-bedroom units.

Travis Lee is white but works primarily in affordable housing construction black/Vietnamese neighborhoods

Where hes building: https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-71.0639086

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-71.0602631

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...!4d-71.0771922

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...6!4d-71.075192

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-12-2021 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 01:57 PM

Travis Lee is an open supporter/donor to the Dorchester Arts Project in the Fields Corner neighborhood.

I like his projects for the density. He invested in affordability and the arts and I think he's a white person that wants to see Dorchester get some more urban energy and more of a 'cool' factor. Remember Dorchester isn't Roxbury, 25% of Dorchester is White (mostly eastern/southeastern Dorche) and they are a group that often does partner with Black Dorchesterians (45% of Dorchester is black so its often out of sheer necessity)

Much of this neighborhood was ravaged by arson and most of the rebuilding up to this point has been relatively low density: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...6!4d-71.075192

These plots could have been combined for a large apartment building.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Those aren’t suburbs though. We wouldn’t call those suburbs.

Those are cities, and no there’s nothing like northern edge cities in Maryland.
That's my point. I referred to Jersey cities as suburban with respect to location, not built form, and being in a different state than their region's alpha city drives the point home even further. That's why I disagreed with you concerning MoCo having Northern urban architecture.

Quote:
Oh yea Im Always gonna associate Hyattsville with MoCo i don’t care lmao.
That's funny to me because I always associate Hyattsville with PG Plaza first and foremost which in itself prevents me from doing that lol.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's my point. I referred to Jersey cities as suburban with respect to location, not built form, and being in a different state than their region's alpha city drives the point home even further. That's why I disagreed with you concerning MoCo having Northern urban architecture.

That's funny to me because I always associate Hyattsville with PG Plaza first and foremost which in itself prevents me from doing that lol.
i associate it with downtown Hyattsville coming out of DC on Rhode Island Ave or Bladensburg Road/ College Park area. That extreme NW PG feels like the Takoma Park/Langley MoCo area to me for whatever reason. Maybe because its more racially diverse.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Same. I associate Hyattsville with PG Plaza/the Mall at Prince George's. Thoughts on the renaming of the metro to Hyattsville Crossing?

Quote:
i associate it with downtown Hyattsville coming out of DC on Rhode Island Ave or Bladensburg Road/ College Park area. That extreme NW PG feels like the Takoma Park/Langley MoCo area to me for whatever reason. Maybe because its more racially diverse.
Relevant to note that Langley Park is PG and part of Takoma Park was PG as well.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I figured as much and the Arts District is nice. Those new-ish apartment buildings surrounding PG Plaza are quite popular with Black professionals, very similar to Largo Town Center in that regard. I like the way modern development interplays with the older structures in Hyattsville commercially and residentially (PG Plaza area, Arts District, historic district).

Old 01-12-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Same. I associate Hyattsville with PG Plaza/the Mall at Prince George's. Thoughts on the renaming of the metro to Hyattsville Crossing?
I suppose renaming the station makes sense as the name of the mall has changed, but "Hyattsville Crossing" to me suggests a more urban location--probably because of Downtown Crossing in Boston. The new name will definitely take some getting used to, as they always do in such instances (which are rare anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.