Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 10:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maryland and Virginia are very much southern in this regard. Especially Prince Georges, and Charles County. I think anyone whos been to Prince Georges would admit there are wayy too many strip malls. Too many of them are woefully outdated and decayed.

Havent been to a ton of Charles county but it seems predicated and built around strip malls. But its very southern. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6504...7i16384!8i8192 https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6402...7i16384!8i8192 https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5329...7i16384!8i8192
They are definitely reflections if the eras in which they began booming. Charles County also gives you the telltale older development/newer development hopscotch pattern characteristic of formerly rural counties that have become exurban within the past decade or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 10:31 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Yea I think it all be a mix of African American and white in roughly equivalent number or. Umbers that reflect DCs current demographics which (44% black 37% white) but it’s going to be higher income people black or white. More so than the people who live in the areas I showed you and white than the existing neighborhoods in ward 7/8. All that office space is also going to generate a very different type of foot traffic. With all that being said I don’t think there are comparative areas that are majority black. The scale of the projects make me nervous because It will be hard to manage the demography and I’m not sure the demand for urbanity is there in the black middle class, there’s certainly some-but boy is that a lot of units. Nubian Ascends has this issue to a lesser degree because everyone involved is black or Latino and it’s all affordable and far fewer units. I worry Black people will hold on to the stigma of those areas more than white urban pioneers.

It’s not a DC thing I just get generally wary of these massive new developments with the blander architecture being plopped into existing areas. The closest thing to this in the northeast would be Dorchester Bay City and Downtown Brooklyn. But they’re definitely not majority black. DC is very special in that regard

What makes you think the demographics in an area with virtually nothing but African Americans will change to close to 40% white in the coming years? There is so much new construction in the urban core that the odds of people moving across the river are pretty low. People living in Ward 7 and Ward 8 along with Prince George’s county will most likely be the target market for these new units. Don’t you agree?

In regards to demand, African American’s in the DC area already live in class A apartment buildings around Largo metro station, Hyattsville, and Branch Avenue metro station, etc. and the demographics of their buildings as virtually 99% black. Most of the people I know who rent, but move to the buildings around the Prince George’s county metro stations, only pick those locations because of the high rents in the urban core and the lack of new buildings in Ward 7 and Ward 8. That’s from their own mouth’s. The rents in these units will align with rents in Largo and Branch Avenue etc. so that will not be the problem.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:08 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They are definitely reflections if the eras in which they began booming. Charles County also gives you the telltale older development/newer development hopscotch pattern characteristic of formerly rural counties that have become exurban within the past decade or two.
Yea Charles County is different than anywhere else in the DC MSA.that hopscotch pattern is very evident for such a small county.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What makes you think the demographics in an area with virtually nothing but African Americans will change to close to 40% white in the coming years? There is so much new construction in the urban core that the odds of people moving across the river are pretty low. People living in Ward 7 and Ward 8 along with Prince George’s county will most likely be the target market for these new units. Don’t you agree?

In regards to demand, African American’s in the DC area already live in class A apartment buildings around Largo metro station, Hyattsville, and Branch Avenue metro station, etc. and the demographics of their buildings as virtually 99% black. Most of the people I know who rent, but move to the buildings around the Prince George’s county metro stations, only pick those locations because of the high rents in the urban core and the lack of new buildings in Ward 7 and Ward 8. That’s from their own mouth’s. The rents in these units will align with rents in Largo and Branch Avenue etc. so that will not be the problem.
I was more so assuming that New Construction within DC limits would be priced above the reach of most of Ward 7 and 8 and those would be competing with cheaper apartments in Largo or Branch Avenue. The accessibility to the capital and downtown DC would mark up their price considerably -at least that how it would be in Boston, as soon as you get inside city limits, price shoot up. I am not assuming they’ll be priced all that similarly to Largo but you know the market better than I. What share of the units will be affordable income.

For instance in East Boston, Boston’s most isolated neighborhood, they’re going to build 10k units I’ve like 15 years but the push is for more affordable housing set asides. because even though that area is predominately Latino it’s assumed housing will be for white peoples-because its new And in the city. The fear of white takeover is real even though they’re building 6 new subway stations ripe for TOD in Somerville and Medford (70% white areas) a few miles to the west of that.

Given the very low incomes of Ward 7 and Ward 8 I’d assume the buyers (of any race) are going to be coming from elsewhere. DCs rate of growth is remarkable so I’d Imagine these apartments would attract a fair amount of white people who are new to the DMV. DC is taking in a lot more white people than Black people and I don’t see that stopping-this is in part why these developments are as large as they are, no? I forget how close these developments are to the River though, one I remember was more like Congress Heights. But Barry Farm, that’s vulnerable territory. Minnesota Ave less so.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I was more so assuming that New Construction within DC limits would be priced above the reach of most of Ward 7 and 8 and those would be competing with cheaper apartments in Largo or Branch Avenue. The accessibility to the capital and downtown DC would mark up their price considerably -at least that how it would be in Boston, as soon as you get inside city limits, price shoot up. I am not assuming they’ll be priced all that similarly to Largo but you know the market better than I. What share of the units will be affordable income.

For instance in East Boston, Boston’s most isolated neighborhood, they’re going to build 10k units I’ve like 15 years but the push is for more affordable housing set asides. because even though that area is predominately Latino it’s assumed housing will be for white peoples-because its new And in the city. The fear of white takeover is real even though they’re building 6 new subway stations ripe for TOD in Somerville and Medford (70% white areas) a few miles to the west of that.

Given the very low incomes of Ward 7 and Ward 8 I’d assume the buyers (of any race) are going to be coming from elsewhere. DCs rate of growth is remarkable so I’d Imagine these apartments would attract a fair amount of white people who are new to the DMV. DC is taking in a lot more white people than Black people and I don’t see that stopping-this is in part why these developments are as large as they are, no? I forget how close these developments are to the River though, one I remember was more like Congress Heights. But Barry Farm, that’s vulnerable territory. Minnesota Ave less so.
No, all these units will be priced well below buildings on the other side of the river. They are all using equity from opportunity zones. Without that funding, they wouldn’t even be built. No comps and the market is, as you said, low income. These buildings are pretty close to 100% market rate units. The rents will align with Prince George’s county class A apartment buildings. Parkside has met their 20% affordable requirement already with the construction of The Grove tax credit building and the Victory Square senior building in addition to some of the townhomes built.

Think workforce housing rents with no income restrictions. All the massive stuff moving right now will be market rate. Rents will be way under urban core rents on the other side of the river though.

The DC area has a large African American middle class. They all live east of the Anacostia. They are buying homes all over Ward 7 and Ward 8 and in Prince George’s county. They are also looking for rental options in Ward 7 and Ward 8, but until now, they didn’t have any options.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
No, all these units will be priced well below buildings on the other side of the river. They are all using equity from opportunity zones. Without that funding, they wouldn’t even be built. No comps and the market is, as you said, low income. These buildings are pretty close to 100% market rate units. The rents will align with Prince George’s county class A apartment buildings. Parkside has met their 20% affordable requirement already with the construction of The Grove tax credit building and the Victory Square senior building in addition to some of the townhomes built.

Think workforce housing rents with no income restrictions. All the massive stuff moving right now will be market rate. Rents will be way under urban core rents on the other side of the river though.
Yea I'm used to market-rate meaning 2400 and up for virtually anything new in Boston. I'm unfamiliar with the terms "affordable" or "workforce" and market rate. Especially considering the lower incomes in Boston.

The market rate for a new 2BR in Dorchester is 2800. New housing is pretty rare and really only for the elites in Boston if its not designated affordable. https://www.gables.com/communities/m...ston/hub25/2a/

Old 01-10-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Yea I'm used to market-rate meaning 2400 and up for virtually anything new in Boston. I'm unfamiliar with the terms "affordable" or "workforce" and market rate. Especially considering the lower incomes in Boston.

The market rate for a new 2BR in Dorchester is 2800. New housing is pretty rare and really only for the elites in Boston if its not designated affordable. https://www.gables.com/communities/m...ston/hub25/2a/
No, prices will be around $1800.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No, prices will be around $1800.
Yea not much of anything new in Eastern MA going for 1800, market rate. Maybe in Lowell or Brockton...maybe.

For New/refurbished loft with diversity, you're looking like 25 miles outside of Boston in Brockton. These are the only apartments matching that criteria in Greater Boston:

https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/brockton...02--2001892095

https://www.trulia.com/c/ma/brockton...02--2001890686

So I'm a bit shocked that it's possible in Ward 7 and 8 simply because DC is way more desirable than the worst/dullest/most remote areas of eastern MA, but I do remember rents there are much more reasonable. You can still find 2BRs rent for under 1000 in SE/NEDC. That was 20 years ago in Boston. The rents in the worst areas of Greater Boton are like 75% higher than anywhere SEDC/NEDC or Inner PG. Its incredible.

You can’t get a new 2BR for 1800 in Newark NJ...

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-11-2021 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-11-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yea not much of anything new in Eastern MA going for 1800, market rate. Maybe in Lowell or Brockton...maybe.

For New/refurbished loft with diversity, you're looking like 25 miles outside of Boston in Brockton. These are the only apartments matching that criteria in Greater Boston:

https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/brockton...02--2001892095

https://www.trulia.com/c/ma/brockton...02--2001890686

So I'm a bit shocked that it's possible in Ward 7 and 8 simply because DC is way more desirable than the worst/dullest/most remote areas of eastern MA, but I do remember rents there are much more reasonable. You can still find 2BRs rent for under 1000 in SE/NEDC. That was 20 years ago in Boston. The rents in the worst areas of Greater Boton are like 75% higher than anywhere SEDC/NEDC or Inner PG. Its incredible.

You can’t get a new 2BR for 1800 in Newark NJ...
The 2-bedroom won’t be $1800. Probably around $2000-$2100. That aligns with Largo and Branch Avenue class A apartments.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:03 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
If y'all find a brand new 2 bed place in Dorchester for $2.1k lmk. Iirc they were all 2500+

I paid 1050 a month for a bedroom in a 5 bedroom hous in JP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.