Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 01:20 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The 2-bedroom won’t be $1800. Probably around $2000-$2100. That aligns with Largo and Branch Avenue class A apartments.
Oh that changes everything in that case you can't get something for just a little more than that. Somewhere reasonably close to Boston. But that pretty standard price for well maintained/renovated a 2-3 BR triple-decker apartment anywhere in inner-city Boston. They're great apartments.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/dorchest...22--2333567659
https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/dorchest...22--2511598461
https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/dorchest...24--2172414503
https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/boston/6...18--2124140011

In post-coronavirus Boston, there are many 2BR for 2100 or less in downtown. Particularly Beacon Hill North End and Chinatown

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/42.3...0_price/15_zm/

$1800 seemed like a deal $2100 is a great price for new construction but not as sexy. Makes a lot more sense though, given the income in the DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 01:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Oh that changes everything in that case you can't get something for just a little more than that. Somewhere reasonably close to Boston. But that pretty standard price for well maintained/renovated a 2-3 BR triple-decker apartment anywhere in inner-city Boston. They're great apartments.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/dorchest...22--2333567659
https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/dorchest...22--2511598461
https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/dorchest...24--2172414503
https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/boston/6...18--2124140011

In post-coronavirus Boston, there are many 2BR for 2100 or less in downtown. Particularly Beacon Hill North End and Chinatown

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/42.3...0_price/15_zm/

$1800 seemed like a deal $2100 is a great price for new construction but not as sexy. Makes a lot more sense though, given the income in the DMV.
Yeah, the middle class African American population in the DC area has a much higher income than African Americans anywhere else in the country. They live in places like this below which is extremely rare to have class A buildings that are basically 100% African American, but this is normal in DC:

Largo Metro Station

Ascend Apollo
Tapestry Largo Station
Everly

Branch Avenue Metro Station

Allure Apollo
Tribeca at Camp Springs
Aspire Apollo

If the Downtown Ward 7 buildings fill up with African Americans like they do in Prince George's County, it may be one of the last urban African American downtown's of it's kind in the country not in the suburbs.

**Side Note** This isn't Downtown Ward 7, but Skyland Town Center is leasing starting at $1800. Crest at Skyland Town Center

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-11-2021 at 02:04 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the middle class African American population in the DC area has a much higher income than African Americans anywhere else in the country. They live in places like this below which is extremely rare to have class A buildings that are basically 100% black, but this is normal in DC:

Largo Metro Station

Ascend Apollo
Tapestry Largo Station
Everly

Branch Avenue Metro Station

Allure Apollo
Tribeca at Camp Springs
Aspire Apollo
Jeesh idk.. those are pretty damn expensive. Not unreasonable but the upper nd of 2BRs in these buildings is like 2800. When there are so many other way cheaper options around? Theyre nice apartments dont get me wrong but the prices seem out of place for that area. I wasn't expecting to see $3, XXX at all. Those are just as if not more expensive than suburban new apartments in the Boston area.

The building I spent a lot of time in withs mostly black people was the Gale at Eckington. Lotta young black professionals. Went to a lil football game/pool party there as well as a birthday party. So I get the appeal but the rents at the Gale in 2016 were like $1550. My good friend still lives there

Why wouldn't a single person to live in the Gale over Largo?? Seems the PG buildings are built maybe more for people with kids? Knowing how practical black people are I'm surprised they're not just taking out a mortgage for that price.

https://www.thegaleeckington.com/floorplans

Cheap and an amazing location. Right near the N

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-11-2021 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Jeesh idk.. those are pretty damn expensive. Not unreasonable but the upper nd of 2BRs in these buildings is like 2800. When there are so many other way cheaper options around? Theyre nice apartments dont get me wrong but the prices seem out of place for that area. I wasn't expecting to see $3, XXX at all. Those are just as if not more expensive than suburban new apartments in the Boston area.

The building I spent a lot of time in withs mostly black people was the Gale at Eckington. Lotta young black professionals. Went to a lil football game/pool party there as well as a birthday party. So I get the appeal but the rents at the Gale in 2016 were like $1550.

Why wouldn't a single person to live in the Gale over Largo?? Seems the PG buildings are built maybe more for people with kids? Knowing how practical black people are I'm surprised they're not just taking out a mortgage for that price.

https://www.thegaleeckington.com/floorplans

Cheap and an amazing location. Right near the NoMa stop.
No, the difficulty of parking is one of the main reasons black people choose not to live in the urban core of DC. You have to pay $200+ for parking in the urban core and parking is hard to find everywhere. Parking is free in these buildings and the units are larger. If you know Ward 7 and Ward 8 and Prince George's County, middle class African Americans in DC drive BMW's and Mercedes. The congestion of the urban core is another reason people prefer Ward 7, Ward 8, and Prince George's County. The fact that they are over 90% African American is just icing on the cake.

I know a few people that live at the Gale too. It's an older building from around 2010ish. That's why the rents are so cheap. Also, the Gale doesn't have downtown level amenities. For instance, a roof top pool is basically a requirement of a building in the urban core of DC. They almost come standard.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-11-2021 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No, the difficulty of parking is one of the main reasons black people choose not to live in the urban core of DC. You have to pay $200+ for parking in the urban core and parking is hard to find everywhere. Parking is free in these buildings and the units are larger. If you know Ward 7 and Ward 8 and Prince George's County, middle class African Americans in DC drive BMW's and Mercedes. The congestion of the urban core is another reason people prefer Ward 7, Ward 8, and Prince George's County. The fact that they are over 90% African American is just icing on the cake.
True, folks do value their cars down there. I never knew Chargers, Challengers, Camaros, Hellcats etc were a 'thing' in Boston. The most car culture there was that we don't buy American and Acuras are praised. LOL. I don't even think people really want to own cars in that area. It wasn't a big part of your desirability or class status.

I have a friend from HS who works in a project management diversity pipeline program for Shawmut Construction who lives here in Chelsea MA for $15/1600 a month.

Another 2 who live here in a $1900month 2BR as roomates. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3200...7i11016!8i5508

Generally not to auto-centric but desirable and attractive waterfront areas in majority-minority heavy areas but more like 15-20% black, not 90%. 20-25% white. But mostly Asian or Latino areas/buildings which is a very different experience than what I had in DC. Not comparable. There's not that building camaraderie, but there is space to be your black self.

A few deals like this exist but they're both relatively modern settlements that have been entirely rebuilt or refurbished either under state grants or HOPE IV. The Dorchester housing was a massive, bleak, highrise public housing project, the Chelsea housing was an abandoned industrial area in the 1980s. They're both middle-class oasis' in low-income neighborhoods. The low-ish prices are because they're not very walkable to any commercial areas and their connections to rapid transit are decent but not excellent. The preservation/conversion efforts get way more attention than new construction up there.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:

I know a few people that live at the Gale too. It's an older building from around 2010ish. That's why the rents are so cheap. Also, the Gale doesn't have downtown level amenities. For instance, a roof top pool is basically a requirement of a building in the urban core of DC. They almost come standard.
Very few rooftop pools in Boston-that's pretty ultra-premium. I liked the Gale, it has a nice pool, but it's not a rooftop. As far as I could tell it's at a good spot between Rhode Island Ave, and NY Ave. While being close to NoMa and H Street. But it's a bit far away from the core (not really of course) It lends itself to Ivy City/Trinidad and Queens Chapel Road a lot.

Still seems abnormally cheap compared to those other units, IMO.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Very few rooftop pools in Boston-that's pretty ultra-premium. I liked the Gale, it has a nice pool, but it's not a rooftop. As far as I could tell it's at a good spot between Rhode Island Ave, and NY Ave. While being close to NoMa and H Street. But it's a bit far away from the core (not really of course) It lends itself to Ivy City/Trinidad and Queens Chapel Road a lot.

Still seems abnormally cheap compared to those other units, IMO.
It is really cheap compared to all the buildings around it. I lived at First and M in NOMA a few blocks from the Gale around 2012 and rent was $2200 for a 1-bedroom back then. But that is because the building looked like this:

First and M

Rents are coming down nationwide so it will be interesting to see the COVID-19 reset. Archstone owned the building when I lived there. Avalon Bay owns it now. NOMA is seamless with Mt. Vernon Triangle now. All the buildings have filled in.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It is really cheap compared to all the buildings around it. I lived at First and M in NOMA a few blocks from the Gale around 2012 and rent was $2200 for a 1-bedroom back then. But that is because the building looked like this:

First and M

Rents are coming down nationwide so it will be interesting to see the COVID-19 reset. Archstone owned the building when I lived there. Avalon Bay owns it now. NOMA is seamless with Mt. Vernon Triangle now. All the buildings have filled in.
Yea that's what I found from another friend who lives at 2nd and I in Northeast. The Gale has poor online reviews though so maybe that's something.

Rooftop stuff in DC NYC Philly is more common than Baltimore and Boston. Rooftop pools are alien to me outside of the luxury levels.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:48 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
My prediction is that the black entertainment on H street and U Street will shift to Downtown Ward 7 in the next decade. I believe the level of infill for retail and mixed use development is extremely high and the African American population lives in Ward 7 and Ward 8 along with Prince George’s County. I think some good points have been made about the black population and the suburbs and Ward 7 and Ward 8 are so close to the Maryland line that it’s a natural downtown for people living in Prince George’s County which I have heard people say before in reference to the city.

The problem in the past was that people had no reason to stop in either Ward 7 or 8 when driving downtown. They just drive through Ward 7 and Ward 8 and cross the Anacostia River into the urban core of DC. Once this area is built-out and the entertainment and restaurants come, like all other developments built from scratch at this scale, it will explode.

I know the issues people have with new developments trying to recreate older organic neighborhood development, but in this instance, having a critical mass is essential to the success and vibrancy of a new destination. For the DC area, there are already class A apartment buildings around Largo metro station and Branch Avenue metro station that are 95% black. We have the black middle class for it now in the DC area, we just didn’t have the product in black neighborhoods until what is happening now.

We will wait to see if the same river that isolated the almost 100% African American Ward 7 and Ward 8 from the rest of the city for the past decades will continue to protect that African American culture of Ward 7 and Ward 8 from changing. My guess is yes! The river not only protects Ward 7 and Ward 8, but also Prince George’s county. I think people underestimate that too.
Quote:
What makes you think the demographics in an area with virtually nothing but African Americans will change to close to 40% white in the coming years? There is so much new construction in the urban core that the odds of people moving across the river are pretty low. People living in Ward 7 and Ward 8 along with Prince George’s county will most likely be the target market for these new units. Don’t you agree?

In regards to demand, African American’s in the DC area already live in class A apartment buildings around Largo metro station, Hyattsville, and Branch Avenue metro station, etc. and the demographics of their buildings as virtually 99% black. Most of the people I know who rent, but move to the buildings around the Prince George’s county metro stations, only pick those locations because of the high rents in the urban core and the lack of new buildings in Ward 7 and Ward 8. That’s from their own mouth’s. The rents in these units will align with rents in Largo and Branch Avenue etc. so that will not be the problem.
I agree with this. And I think its worth it to note that there is a substantial black population in the DMV that doesn't live in DC or Prince George's. There are thousands of young black people living Montgomery County, Fairfax County, Prince William County, Charles County, plus people living in the Baltimore metro (all of these counties are at least 10% Black) that could be attracted to living in DC, especially post COVID.

Quote:
Maryland and Virginia are very much southern in this regard. Especially Prince Georges, and Charles County. I think anyone whos been to Prince Georges would admit there are wayy too many strip malls. Too many of them are woefully outdated and decayed.

Havent been to a ton of Charles county but it seems predicated and built around strip malls. But its very southern. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6504...7i16384!8i8192 https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6402...7i16384!8i8192 https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5329...7i16384!8i8192
This is one of the other reasons I say the DMV is the South. I'm not familiar enough with the Baltimore area but large parts of Maryland resemble southern states more than northern states. My girlfriend just moved to Baltimore so I expect to get much more familiar with it though.

Last edited by 908Boi; 01-11-2021 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

This is one of the other reasons I say the DMV is the South. I'm not familiar enough with the Baltimore area but large parts of Maryland resemble southern states more than northern states.
All of Nova looks like the pristine New South to me.

The southern half of PG and all of Charles County are undeniably southern, at times very southern.

MoCO and DC feel northern. MoCo sees the immigrant diversity, heavy-handed progressivism, white flight and architecture of the urban north.

Baltimore area looks very northern but has more Appalachian and Eastern Shore influence, culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.