Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 07:03 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Nice project but jeesh that price tag seems high. Nubian is estimated at 126 million and seems more complex. and larger. But maybe it's just the number to get it through the permitting process. $126M seems low.

Anyways, I'm glad at least some black people see the need to redevelop the crucial Southside on our own.
The cost is related to the amount of floors. The building is taller than 6 stories so it’s using concrete versus a podium with wood framing. That increases the cost exponentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 07:06 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Bronzeville (southern portion)
43 Green Project- a combination of 99 apartment units (affordable housing and some market rate units) and retail space (6k sq. feet). Total cost is $100m( $35m going towards affordable housing) and is set for construction beginning in next June on the corner of 43rd & Calumet ave. Two of the overseers of the TOD are Charlton Hamer, Senior Vice President of the Habitat Company, and Phillip L. Beckham III, one of the two Principals of P3 Markets.
I forgot all about Bronzeville and this thread title simply screams its name. It's been waaayyy too long since I've been to Chicago and I need to get back there soon and check out Bronzeville in person.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:18 PM

Invest Atlanta recently [this past summer] approved a $715,000 from the Eastside TAD (Tax Allocation District) Community Empowerment Fund to finance Thrive Sweet Auburn. This new construction mixed-use development will provide a co-work office facility within the community for critically needed non-profit services and community-serving small businesses.

Located at 302-284 Decatur Street, one block west of the King Memorial MARTA station, the developer Project Community Connections, Inc. (PCCI) will create approximately 15,577 square feet of new office space and 117 affordable rental units. TAD funding will assist in building out the office spaces.

https://www.investatlanta.com/impact...side-tad-grant

Old 12-31-2020, 07:53 PM

In January [2019], a couple of months after her move, [founder Candice] VanWye opened Monday & Co., a co-working space specifically created for Black creatives.

“If you have a business geared toward Black women or Black people in general, this is the place to be,” VanWye said.

Nestled in Atlanta’s historic Sweet Auburn District, Monday & Co. provides Black creatives not only with a space to grow their businesses, but also the resources and tools necessary to succeed.

Equipped with space to work, wifi, a kitchen, a conference room, an outdoor space for events, and a studio for photography, videography, and podcasts, Monday & Co. offers creatives, who usually work from home, a new space that can facilitate their needs...

She has designed Monday & Co. to include workshops and additional resources to teach new creative entrepreneurs about contracts, bookkeeping, marketing, branding, web design, and so much more...

VanWye says that she’s offering is much more than a space to work, but an opportunity to teach people of color how to establish their businesses from A-to-Z; including filing for an LLC and Quickbooks tutorials.

https://www.theatlantavoice.com/arti...ack-creatives/

Old 12-31-2020, 08:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The cost is related to the amount of floors. The building is taller than 6 stories so it’s using concrete versus a podium with wood framing. That increases the cost exponentially.
oh yea didnt realize that it was that tall.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In January [2019], a couple of months after her move, [founder Candice] VanWye opened Monday & Co., a co-working space specifically created for Black creatives.

“If you have a business geared toward Black women or Black people in general, this is the place to be,” VanWye said.

Nestled in Atlanta’s historic Sweet Auburn District, Monday & Co. provides Black creatives not only with a space to grow their businesses, but also the resources and tools necessary to succeed.

Equipped with space to work, wifi, a kitchen, a conference room, an outdoor space for events, and a studio for photography, videography, and podcasts, Monday & Co. offers creatives, who usually work from home, a new space that can facilitate their needs...

She has designed Monday & Co. to include workshops and additional resources to teach new creative entrepreneurs about contracts, bookkeeping, marketing, branding, web design, and so much more...

VanWye says that she’s offering is much more than a space to work, but an opportunity to teach people of color how to establish their businesses from A-to-Z; including filing for an LLC and Quickbooks tutorials.

https://www.theatlantavoice.com/arti...ack-creatives/
Hopefully Atlanta will start seeing young black professionals move into the new developments being built in the city. I know you mentioned they usually don't. It would be nice to see cities build urban neighborhoods with new development and tons of retail, but still be unapologetically black and prosperous.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I mentioned Pittsburgh Yards earlier in the thread. That's probably the best example of what this thread is actually all about and there's already movement on that site.

I I honestly don't have any stats about the race of gentrifiers in southside Atlanta neighborhoods. We'll kinda have to see how things shake out in a post-COVID world.
Well, lets hope the drop in rental rates will attract young black professionals to the new developments in Atlanta. I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:50 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Hopefully Atlanta will start seeing young black professionals move into the new developments being built in the city. I know you mentioned they usually don't. It would be nice to see cities build urban neighborhoods with new development and tons of retail, but still be unapologetically black and prosperous.
I Donnie think Atlanta is where black propel go to live a dense urban lifestyle...

If they want to do that thymes move to NYC or DC. Due to systemic forces you probably see more black peoples moving into urban developments in Boston than Atlanta..

there need for that isn’t as pressing in Atlanta not is it as attractive when your suburbs are very welcoming, black and full of modern conveniences unlike 95% of Boston suburbs. Because the need isn’t there and it not as much a part of the or existing culture or what’s seen as chic and desirable.

In Boston and NYC it’s considered pretty cool or desirable to live in Harlem BedStuy or Roxbury. DC seems to be getting there and it’s probably more popular amongst transplants. I don’t now about Chicago but it seems to be kind of the move in Philly...Is Atlanta like that?

Old 01-01-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
It's not that they usually don't, but the destinations for young Black professionals are just dispersed. My friend that I usually stay with when I visit lives right downtown by Centennial Olympic Park and another good friend lives in a nice SFH development that's no more than 10-15 years old off Pryor Rd, no more than a mile south of the Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks was shot and killed by police over the summer. A friend from undergrad lives in Lindbergh. I know friends that have since relocated that did live in the city when they were in Atlanta, and I know there are some others I can't recall right now that live in the city. And on the flip side, a buddy of mine recently purchased a house in East Point, another did a few years ago in Fairburn, and I have frat brothers who own their own homes in Stone Mountain, Mableton, and Conyers (I always joke with him about living all the way out in Augusta). When I lived there, one of my supervisors, a middle-aged Black female veterinarian, lived in Loganville in Gwinnett County. So yeah, they are pretty much all over the place in Atlanta. When I lived there, it was in three northern suburbs myself (Canton, Roswell, Sandy Springs) since my work site was always several miles north of the city and I wanted to be reasonably close to the city without too long of a commute.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:33 PM

Open Crumb is a black owned restaurant in DC in the Anacostia neighborhood which is hopefully a hint of things to come for black neighborhoods in DC. He lives upstairs from the restaurant which is a good option for black chefs looking to open concepts. CBS Morning News did a spotlight on Open Crumb below.

Open Crumb DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogOZ...ature=emb_logo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.