Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Isn't that the norm nationwide? A plurality of the black community overall have lean surburban for the last 10-15 years
Less so here in New England, people are moving into suburbs for sure. But also in equal numbers, they're just moving to smaller cities that are still quite urban

2015-2019 ACS has this for Bostons 10 blackest suburbs

North Shore:

Everett 18.5% black, population 46k, urban
Malden 18.0% black, population 61k, urban
Cambridge 10.7% black, population 118k, urban
Lynn 13.7% black, population 94k, urban

Total Black poulation 77k, all highly.

South Shore:

Holbrook 16.8% black, population 11k, suburban
Avon 18% black, population 4k, suburban
Milton 15.2% black, population 28k, suburban
Stoughton 15.0% black, population 29k, suburban
Randolph 44.7% black, population 34k, suburban(urban)

Brockton, 50.9% black, population 96k, urban(suburban)

All of these towns touch by the way.

Total black population ~72k. 45k of whom live in urban Brockton.

The top ten "suburban" destinations outside of Boston for black people are pretty urban. Only ~18% (27k) of the 149k black people in those places are living in true suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 12:23 PM

This man is going to be the cultural curator of the development. The new head of the Roxbury Cultural District.

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2020/...d-of-trustees/

Multimedia artist, filmmaker and designer Daniel Callahan has been appointed president of the Roxbury Cultural District board of trustees. A native of the Boston area and Roxbury, Callahan worked around the U.S. before finding his way back home. He hopes to bring the same artistic support and inspiration that he’s received here to other artists and art organizations in Roxbury.

“We are based on recognizing and identifying Roxbury’s cultural assets and establishing tools, strategies, resources and spaces to elevate the community of Roxbury, not only as a living repository of arts and culture but also throughout the ages,” says Callahan. “Our vision for what Roxbury will become is a healthy and thriving ecosystem for arts and culture.”

Getting the word out about Boston’s robust arts scene will be another part of the work. “Massachusetts is in the news a lot, and it’s not so much for its arts and culture — but it should be. There’s a richness here that doesn’t need to be created, it just needs to be elevated,” says Callahan.

In his personal art practice, Callahan debuted his first feature film this year, which was screened at the Roxbury International Film Festival and is working on a new piece about the dual crises of the coronavirus pandemic and the structural racism here in Boston. He also teaches at Emerson College.

Callahan says that many of Roxbury’s art institutions, like the Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists, feel separated from the Boston community, when they should be part of one ecosystem. That museum and other organizations deserve more recognition and support for their work. Community members who want to get involved can help source information for the database by connecting artists to the RCD. Board membership positions are also available, he says, and donors are always welcome to support the cultural cause.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:26 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This is a newer cultural node idea on Buffalo’s East Side, which includes historical sites and has potential for similar development in the OP: https://www.michiganstreetbuffalo.org/

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...rican-history-

https://eastsideavenues.org/michigan...tage-corridor/

http://uploads.oneregionforward.org/...e-Corridor.pdf

http://uploads.oneregionforward.org/...-mngt-plan.pdf

Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
I like this and think it’s good that blacks in Boston want to further create richness in their black community. I prefer this than people running away.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I like this and think it’s good that blacks in Boston want to further create richness in their black community. I prefer this than people running away.
Also worth noting this is in City Councilor Kim Janeys district. She is from Roxbury and is City Council Lresident. If Marty Walsh gets tapped into the Biden Administration she becomes acting mayor in a race that is currently between an At-Large City Councilor who is a Progressive Asian from Chicago and a Black City councilor from the South End, which is adjacent to Roxbury (representing Mattapan).

This is one of Kim Janey’s main achievement as well as the creation of Boston Equity laws surrounding marijuana and I’m is responsible for creating the Boston Cannabis Board. Her family has owned a prominent Construction Management Firm that’s active in New England since 1984. Janey Co.
Being acting mayor would give her an advantage running should she decide to join the 2021 mayoral race. It’s unlikely but a mayor from Roxbury?? would be ...disruptive to the norm to say the very least...

Old 12-31-2020, 12:41 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Bronzeville (southern portion)
43 Green Project- a combination of 99 apartment units (affordable housing and some market rate units) and retail space (6k sq. feet). Total cost is $100m( $35m going towards affordable housing) and is set for construction beginning in next June on the corner of 43rd & Calumet ave. Two of the overseers of the TOD are Charlton Hamer, Senior Vice President of the Habitat Company, and Phillip L. Beckham III, one of the two Principals of P3 Markets.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Bronzeville (southern portion)
43 Green Project- a combination of 99 apartment units (affordable housing and some market rate units) and retail space (6k sq. feet). Total cost is $100m( $35m going towards affordable housing) and is set for construction beginning in next June on the corner of 43rd & Calumet ave. Two of the overseers of the TOD are Charlton Hamer, Senior Vice President of the Habitat Company, and Phillip L. Beckham III, one of the two Principals of P3 Markets.
Nice project but jeesh that price tag seems high. Nubian is estimated at 126 million and seems more complex. and larger. But maybe it's just the number to get it through the permitting process. $126M seems low.

Anyways, I'm glad at least some black people see the need to redevelop the crucial Southside on our own.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:11 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Nice project but jeesh that price tag seems high. Nubian is estimated at 126 million and seems more complex. and larger. But maybe it's just the number to get it through the permitting process. $126M seems low.

Anyways, I'm glad at least some black people see the need to redevelop the crucial Southside on our own.
Yeah, it is pricey for just one building(granted it's a nice high rise plus retail).

Me too. There is a lot of ground to cover, as the south side goes as far south as 138th St. Bronzeville in particular is a bit underdeveloped to be close enough to downtown, and compared to its days of once being the city's most densely populated district/community.( I know this led to overcrowding, which triggered the development of low- income housing projects in the first place, but it doesn't take away that the 20s to early 50s era was the community's glory days and truly was a renowned black city within the city.). Bronzeville is the one part of the city I look forward to seeing get developed the most, being one of the original black meccas in the country. I hope that this project is one of many to come in the next 5-10 years for the south and west side. It's ridiculous that 90% of the TODs have been directed towards the northside, even if some of them have are in neighborhoods that have had sizable black populations for a while like Uptown (18% black) and Rogers Park (26% black).

Old 12-31-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah, it is pricey for just one building(granted it's a nice high rise plus retail).

Me too. There is a lot of ground to cover, as the south side goes as far south as 138th St. Bronzeville in particular is a bit underdeveloped to be close enough to downtown, and compared to its days of once being the city's most densely populated district/community.( I know this led to overcrowding, which triggered the development of low- income housing projects in the first place, but it doesn't take away that the 20s to early 50s era was the community's glory days and truly was a renowned black city within the city.). Bronzeville is the one part of the city I look forward to seeing get developed the most, being one of the original black meccas in the country. I hope that this project is one of many to come in the next 5-10 years for the south and west side. It's ridiculous that 90% of the TODs have been directed towards the northside, even if some of them have are in neighborhoods that have had sizable black populations for a while like Uptown (18% black) and Rogers Park (26% black).

I've looked at the south side a lot on street view comparing 2007 to 2019 and the amount of decent looking structures that have been leveled is eerie. It's so neat as a landscape and the neighborhoods are clean and its like they're so thirsty to knock buildings down to keep it neat and clean which is cool I guess-but fill it back in with some nice development.

South Side Chicago really needs the infill Boson has seen in Roxbury and Dorchester

Roxbury infill:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3091...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3077...7i16384!8i8192

Currently a large apartment buidling.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3226...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3156...7i16384!8i8192

Dorchester infill:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3069...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2994...7i16384!8i8192

Old 12-31-2020, 06:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
I think this is pretty significant for black people in the entire DC region.

Mayor Bowser Unveils New Strategy to Enhance Equity in District Development Opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.